Safari Books

gbflyer

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
What’s your favorite…maybe one not so well known? Could be old or more modern.

baxterb

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Months of the Sun - Nyschens
For the Honour of a Hunter - Seth-smith (maybe the best, most ‘ complete’ Safari book out there)

TSIBINDI

AH member
Reaction score
Website
www.bing.com
Member of
Life member: SCI, NRA, & RMEF
Hunted
USA: TX, OK, KY, MO, NB, WY, MT, NV, KS. Africa: South Africa (1), Zambia (1) Zimbabwe (22)
What’s your favorite…maybe one not so well known? Could be old or more modern.
HORNED DEATH, John Burger. MAHOHBOH, Ron Thomson. WILD BEASTS AND THEIR WAYS, Sir Samuel Baker. HUNTING THE DANGEROUS GAME OF AFRICA, John Kingsley-Heath. MONTHS OF THE SUN, Ian Nyschens. BIG GAME AND BIG GAME RIFLES, John Taylor. FIREFORCE, Chris Cocks. THE WANDERINGS OF AN ELEPHANT HUNTER, W. D. M. Bell. A GAME RANGER'S NOTEBOOK, A. Blaney Percival. SEALOUS SCOUTS, Ron Reid Daly

BourbonTrail

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA (AZ, KY, MO, NM, VA)
I am starting my safari reading journey (didn’t grow up with it like many here).

So far, my short list of reads:
- Elephant!, Boddington
- Buffalo!, Boddington
- Horn of the Hunter, Ruark
- African Game Trails, Roosevelt
- Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter, Bell

Boddington is definitely dry, but Buffalo! I found to be very informative and positive in its tone.

Ruark is fun to read, but I consider him an example of what not to do. (i.e., showed up without using his guns beforehand, drank waaaay too much)

Bell has written my favorite story so far, his level of experience rings through and the adventure feels genuine. However, it’s disjointed as it’s a collection of highlights instead of a coherent story…still, though, my favorite thus far.

Firebird

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa
I just re read one of Kevin Thomas’ books and once again enjoyed it immensely. Easy to find on Amazon. I think I will re read Hemingway again next. Lots of good suggestions!

Tanner Lee

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Safari Club International
Hunted
South Africa (North West, Orange Free State, Northern Cape), USA (Utah, Wyoming)
IMG_7526.JPG
Here are some good Africa hunting books from my library.

Tanner Lee

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Safari Club International
Hunted
South Africa (North West, Orange Free State, Northern Cape), USA (Utah, Wyoming)
I know that this one isn’t so unknown but it’s still a good one. Snows of Kilimanjaro by Ernest Hemingway, the finally short story in the book is really good

TSIBINDI

AH member
Reaction score
Website
www.bing.com
Member of
Life member: SCI, NRA, & RMEF
Hunted
USA: TX, OK, KY, MO, NB, WY, MT, NV, KS. Africa: South Africa (1), Zambia (1) Zimbabwe (22)
Just a few more:
LAND OF THE BLACK BUFFALO, Paul Smiles. BWANA COTTON, Cotton Gordon. A HUNTER'S WANDERINGS IN AFRICA, F. C. Selous. NYATI and NDLOVU, Mag-Set Publications (Pvt) Ltd. BIG GAME HUNTING IN NORTHERN RHODESIA, Owen Letcher. AFRICAN GAME TRAILS, Teddy Roosevelt. INTO THE THORNS, Wayne Michael Grant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rickvzg

Latest profile posts

Tom Leoni wrote on Nyati67's profile.
Nyatyi, what's the tube dia. on your S&B?
Brian wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
CM,
That is nice work! I would like that cartridge slide for 50-110 Win. I would also use it for 500 S&W. Six cartridge loops would be perfect for me.

I will send you payment immediately.

Thank you,
Akunasek wrote on Jager Waffen74's profile.
do you still have the Ithaca 10 ga semi auto?
kdenn wrote on TROPHY SHIPPERS's profile.
Afternoon, going to South Africa August 22 hunting with wife. will need your help with trophies. what information and how soon do you need it? went to the website and completed the form but seems i have negative energy or something with electronic communication often.
thanks for your help
ken dennison
Docpk wrote on Jager Waffen74's profile.
I would but the Swarovski scope