SA Government Asks For Constitutional Review On Proposed Land Confiscations

Just the thought and talk of land confiscation will have economic consequences, as out side investor would you be putting your money in SA now ?

Just the thought and talk of land confiscation will have economic consequences, as out side investor would you be putting your money in SA now ?

In short.... I say "Hell no". I have no crystal ball, nor am I a betting man. However, if i were. I would say that you are going to see a huge fallout, economic crisis, civil unrest, Rand plummet, etc. A lot of that happens just from the uncertainty, speculation & lack of confidence/faith in gov't.

Phasa will bring out a statement over the weekend to allay everybodies fears on this issue. We can assure everyone that there are no Landgrabs or Invasions on the cards and we will address the issue in detail in the statement.

Please bear with us as we have a 7 to 10 hour time difference. We can assure everybody in the meantime that it is Business as usaul and no need to change plans you might have already or some you are still working on !!!

Happy Hunting !

Red Leg, with all due respect sir, but you do not have a clue what you are talking about. We are so far from this happening that its not even a discussing point at this stage.
I find it quite disturbing that something like this is even allowed to be posted, just for the sake of creating a false sense of insecurity among readers here that do not know any better.

Red leg Red leg.....

Today I went to our annual Hunting Exhibition, just to say hello to old friends, I talked with one South African from the Limpopo, and two others from the Northern Cape. Concerning the land issue, they are worried, very worried.

One of them, a very successful Outfitter, told me he is receiving sales of land offers at a very good price, which he is disregarding as he has no faith in the future, he is offering them to buy the hunting rights.

None of them think there is going to be anything like a land grab, but that they will be slowly squeezed by new laws which will make their business just impossible to be profitable. Just a question of time.

And this, gentlemen, has already happened in the rest of Africa, just 60 years ago, Europeans ownned land and all types of businesses in every African country. What is the scenario today ?

Sorry, but again your facts were wrong. Do not go by "what you heard"! I think you would find that almost any place in Zim is safer than "some" US cities.

Sorry, but again your facts were wrong. Do not go by "what you heard"! I think you would find that almost any place in Zim is safer than "some" US cities.
I can’t disagree Lon. Visited Zim last year and felt safer there than in SA.
Well, everywhere except the Vic Falls border post! :whistle: Uncle Bob really wanted my greenbacks :D

Still some way to go. This must go to the constitutional court, if not excepted the ruling party will need a two thirds majority win in the next election. This is possible. Then decisions will have to be made on the effects it will have on investors. With the recent Ramaphosa/Zuma fall out a two thirds majority may not be that easy.
One of the suggestions are also to take 3000000 hectares under trust from the Zulu king. This will most probably not go down good.

On the other hand.
Dear Standard Bank et el, as I’m sure you’re aware, there is a bit of a revolution on the rise, actually has been for quite sometime.
It now seems that this revolution is becoming a reality - Land Reformation.
Now, I took out a bond with you for what I was under the he impression would eventually be my property.
Enter Julius Malema , who is now informing all & sundry that the land that was stolen must now be returned.
This leaves me with a bit of a dilemma: Why am I paying Standard Bank for property / land that is stolen?
So, here I am, wondering if I should cease all of my bond repayments until the air is cleared, so that I know I don’t have to hand over a property that I have been paying for that was never truly yours and was never truly going to be mine.
So for now, I think I’ll hold back & keep the cash I would normally pay for my bond, to save up for flights Incase my family & I need to make a quick exit out of here.
And please don’t send legal letters advising that you will remove me from my property as I’m sure that in a case like this, squatters rights will apply.
Let’s also consider the legal implications involved in selling stolen goods / property to another? Could be quite hellish for you.
The other way to assist with resolving this issue would be for the banks to stand together & oppose this foolish land reclamation process.
You stand to lose billions if it does goes through.....

Please correct me if I am wrong but doesn't also the geographic distribution of South Africa's white minority work against them in any potential "guerrilla revolt".

There are cases of where an outgunned guerrilla movement managed to defeat a vastly superior force- the Vietnam War is a notable example. But the things the VCs had going for them was home field advantage and perhaps even more importantly the fact that they were not going anywhere- they were composed of Vietnamese people who lived in Vietnam. While the American military was made up of foreigners who had no intention of living there and also a war weary American public increasingly wanted them brought home. The VCs outlasted the US military presence in Vietnam and thus won.

But in South Africa any potential "white resistance" would not have any of the advantages described above. The black South African security forces are in it for the "long haul" and they live in the same place. So its not like they could just withdraw or leave. They also have home field advantage too and numbers on their side. The only way any kind of guerrilla warfare could even hypothetically be successful would be if the entire south African white minority was concentrated in and controlled an entire part or region of the country. And that if this region seceded it would have to be invaded by the military, police etc... But this is not the case as whites are spread out all over the country and live among predominately black populations.

As soldier and history buff, comparatively, rather a better comparison would not be the American involvement in Vietnam as would the American Civil War. But I understand the point you wish to make.

About 40 years ago: A ""theoretical assessment"" was made on country y assisting/aiding country x. " country___x____" : On the brink of______........... summation:"______based on current "factors".....pending....actions/reactions.....".....(solution) objective.....result creating a ......war within country ____y____".

Be it Hind sight 20/20.

IMO: As bad as the calculated assessment results. In todays "political/social climate": "IT" should have been done then; should such "actions" be "conducted" by country y today, the "predicted" out come will be much worse.

On the other hand.
Dear Standard Bank et el, as I’m sure you’re aware, there is a bit of a revolution on the rise, actually has been for quite sometime.
It now seems that this revolution is becoming a reality - Land Reformation.
Now, I took out a bond with you for what I was under the he impression would eventually be my property.
Enter Julius Malema , who is now informing all & sundry that the land that was stolen must now be returned.
This leaves me with a bit of a dilemma: Why am I paying Standard Bank for property / land that is stolen?
So, here I am, wondering if I should cease all of my bond repayments until the air is cleared, so that I know I don’t have to hand over a property that I have been paying for that was never truly yours and was never truly going to be mine.
So for now, I think I’ll hold back & keep the cash I would normally pay for my bond, to save up for flights Incase my family & I need to make a quick exit out of here.
And please don’t send legal letters advising that you will remove me from my property as I’m sure that in a case like this, squatters rights will apply.
Let’s also consider the legal implications involved in selling stolen goods / property to another? Could be quite hellish for you.
The other way to assist with resolving this issue would be for the banks to stand together & oppose this foolish land reclamation process.
You stand to lose billions if it does goes through.....
Now that should to stir the pot a little!!! ;)

As someone who travels to RSA monthly, the exchange rate fluctuations are evident.
As soon as the idea of Zuma stepping down became realistic, the ZAR gained strength.
As soon as the land reform was announced, the ZAR lost ground.
Time will tell however on this.
This is not the first time land grabs have been mentioned and a lot like us here in Zambia, there are certain topics the government sings about leading up to elections. Which if i recall in RSA will be next year?
African politics relies on short term memory of events, as long as there is a great song and dance today, yesterday's indiscretions will be forgotten.

The idea of land grabs is unsettling, but the fact that Zuma was ousted even though him and his cronies were feeding at the trough is a good sign that its may be more talk than action in this case.

Hi Hogpatrol, This is also a good lesson to learn in America, when the do gooder, gun grabber's come to our homes and try to confiscate our weapons, before they steal our land. Thanks
Well, we will know when that is coming,,,,,,,
there will be a new tax on us to arm the “do gooders” because they won’t buy their own!

Herewith a short statement about this isssue. We would like to assure any clients there is NO reason to change or postpone your planned trips to South Africa. If you may have any more questions please do not hesitate to contact us directly !

PHASA STATEMENT “Expropriation of Land in South Africa”

Concerns have been raised by our members and the broader international hunting community regarding the issue of “land expropriation without compensation” in South Africa. The Professional Hunters’ Association of South Africa (PHASA) wishes to clarify this issue. PHASA would like to assure the public that although talks of “expropriation without compensation” is a concern, there are numerous constitutional procedures and implementation requirements that first need to be addressed prior to this policy coming to fruition.

South Africa has one of the best constitutions in the world and the bill that was passed in parliament, will first have to be investigated and go through a constitutional review committee process. The committee will have to hold public hearings, where South Africans can give suggestions and inputs. Once completed the committee will report back to the National Assembly where their findings will then, once more be voted for in parliament. A two-thirds majority vote is required for the committee’s recommendations to be accepted.

The President, Mr Cyril Ramaphosa has urged people not to panic and outlined the critical importance for South Africans to engage to come up with meaningful proposals and recommendations concerning the land issue. It is paramount for the broader community to realise that specific constraint were put in place that this process may not undermine the:

1. Economy

2. Agricultural production and

3. Food security

PHASA will heed the Presidents request and be involved in finding amicable solutions for the wildlife and hunting industries by highlighting the invaluable contribution hunting makes to the green economy. Members of the PHASA Executive Committee were in Parliament on the same day as the land decision was made. PHASA was involved in finding ways of unlocking the socio-economic potential of South Africa’s biodiversity assets through sustainable use of wildlife resources.

According to the President of South Africa, land expropriation would not be a “smash and grab” attempt, and much consultation would take place to ensure the process would not harm food production, jobs and the economy as a whole.

South Africa remains one of the best destinations of choice for international tourists and as an Association we would like to assure the general public that South Africa remains a safe and preferred destination for hunters.

Attachments

• PHASA STATEMENT – Expropriation of Land in South Africa.pdf
    241.6 KB · Views: 142
Last edited by a moderator:
I just found this article on Facebook:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rican-farmers-removed-land.html#ixzz58VXEVgp7

I enjoyed hunting in SA back in 2014 and have strived to go back ever since........I'm thinking now that I doubt that I will ever go back if this is the political climate that currently ensues. I have enough turmoil in my life that I don't need to be killed in a foreign coup. Guess I'll start looking at moose hunting in Canada again.:(

Been saying this all along, but it seems people want to believe the media more than guys with actual boots on the ground. IT IS NOT A WHITE AND BLACK THING.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...-zwelithini-calls-on-zulus-to-rise-over-land/

This article discloses a truth about African politics - you can not interpret these events through the filter of North American race relations. When I try and explain that to friends here you can see the confusion set in. Thanks for posting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois