RWS ROTTWEIL Ammunition .30-06 Evolution (11.9G)

fhm3006

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Namibia / South-Africa
Greetings fellow AH members,
Attached is what I could find on the web re this ammo.

I have a friend here in Namibia who obtained some of this ammunition from a gunsmith-friend of his in Germany. My friend is ecstatic on the performance of these cartridges in his 30-06. Needless to say - with me also owning a 30-06 i am very interested, itching actually - to 'test' this ammunition myself in my rifle to see what all the 'fuss' is about. As we cannot purchase this brand here in Namibia, my friend informed me that his g/smith friend from Germany have a international license to travel with ammo and can bring me 2-3 packets in June when he comes to Namibia.

Can anyone of you who have hunting experience with this specific brand and calibre please inform me what animals have you taken, accuracy, distances, bullet performance, etc.

I will sincerely appreciate, before I confirm my order to the German g/smith.

6242d1299773418-rws-rottweil-ammunition-30-06-evolution-11-9g-rws-rottweil-evo.jpg

Attachments

• rws-rottweil-evo.jpg
    rws-rottweil-evo.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 1,807
Last edited by a moderator:
fhm3006,
I am an American living in Germany. I've lived and hunted here since 1991. I have not shot any game with the RWS Evolution line of ammo, I don't think I would if they were giving it away on the street corner. I don't know a single German hunter who thinks the Evolution bullet is worth the box it is packaged in. My local gun store won't stock anything from RWS except the Brenneke full caliber shotgun slugs in 12 bore only. It is not a well respected ammunition line here in it's country of manufacture. I'm sure there will be others who disagree with me. Trust your own judgement and give it a try, my 7mm Rem Mag absolutely loves one of the cheapest German brands out there, Gecko ammunition, a subsidiary of RWS.

Hi Macs, thank you for the reply.
I am quite surprised by your response - my friend locally is either exaggerating on the perfomance he gets in his rifle, or else - like it happens sometimes - his rifle just 'loves' this bullet. However it may be, i am in favor of your suggestion, will order 2 packets - take one to the range and depending outcome - either test the last packet on my next 'biltong hunt'...or...use it to cull Jackall.

Check this space after Aug '11 - will revert with my findings of this bullet in my rifle

"Prost":beer:

No worries, I hate to shoot down an idea like that, but RWS ammo is just not popular with the folks here in Bavaria. Your friend may be fortunate and have a rifle that really likes the EVO bullet, like I said above my Browning A Bolt loved the RWS Gecko ammunition. It is so unpopular that I couldn't even buy replinishment ammo and had to change to the Winchester Ballistic Silver Tip.

Bullets arriving tomorrow in Windhoek from Germany.
Friend bringing it to the coast.
Will try squeeze some time during w/end to go to the range on Sunday.

Next weekend going s/buck hunting in Southern Namibia (and freeze my a..rse off!!!)
Should range performance be good - i will try these on s/buck first.

Will keep you posted either way.

surprised to hear that about rws ammo, as i use the rws brenneke torpeedo bullets in 293grn in my 9.3x74r double ,and 286grn in my 9.3x62 b/a. they are very accurate and very effective on game i have shot with them. a friend uses rws with the oryx bullet on wild boar , and rates it very highly. maybe next time you have the chance you should get them to bring you some of the rws oryx ammo.

Spike.t

appreciate your post - i did not have the time last w/end to go to the range - will try this weekend - but we have winter here now and the East and South-Western winds are playing havock with my range-plans here in the desert.

As soon as i have range-tested the RWS Evolution bullets - will post my findings here.

i will ask my friend for more info on the oryx ammo when i speak to him next. i drove past you last year when i picked up a vehicle from walvis bay to take to zambia, and when you say desert you mean it! the dunes on the coast road from walvis bay were amazing, seen them on tv but doesnt prepare you for the real life experience!

i will ask my friend for more info on the oryx ammo when i speak to him next. i drove past you last year when i picked up a vehicle from walvis bay to take to zambia, and when you say desert you mean it! the dunes on the coast road from walvis bay were amazing, seen them on tv but doesnt prepare you for the real life experience!

Amazing :nope:- gosh what a small world!

Yeah - down here at the Western coastal desert of Namibia we usually get sandblasted around August only. This year it started in June allready, we are going to have sandblasted - sunbleached bones by end August!!!:praying:

The weather-gods here must be crazy man - I drove this morning from a really cold-misty Longbeach (between Walvis Bay and Swakopmund) to our mining site. 15 Km outside Swakopmund a hot East-wind hit me right from the front - barely making 130 Km/h in a 3 li vehicle...:beatingdeadhorse:

Then 40 Km further a hot Northern wind threatened to blow me off the road. Here on site (150 Km from Swakopmund into desert) there is no wind today, but oh man it is hot!!!:redhot:

Will appreciate some stats on the Oryx ammo - especially in 30-06 cal and perhaps a link where i can read on it myself.

also realised i have had total brain fade and the oryx is made by norma! apologies on that one!

...yip - extreme heat does that to a man at times...or extreme cold...:hmmmer:

I am very familiar with Norma's Oryx ammo - we do get it here but from my experience they are very expensive - too expensive for me as i go through 4-5 packets in a season (incl. range work) My .270 love them though.

If i recall correctly, 2-3 years ago i paid over N$ 400 for a packet 30.06 Normas at Safari Den (Agra) in WHK. (that was + - US$ 62.00 for a carton)

I cannot wait to see what the RWS (Evo) does this weekend (hopefully)

just had a look on the rws website, and the evolution bullet design looks good , probably going to order some to see how it compares with the rws ammo i use, which i see has been renamed the uni classic bullet which is more for heavier game. be interesting to hear how it works for you. found a couple of reports on it and the people were pleased with it.

just had a look on the rws website, and the evolution bullet design looks good , probably going to order some to see how it compares with the rws ammo i use, which i see has been renamed the uni classic bullet which is more for heavier game. be interesting to hear how it works for you. found a couple of reports on it and the people were pleased with it.

As soon as i range-tested the Evo's will let you know on this thread - i ordered 4 cartons - they better perform.....

good luck!! checked out ongariwanda looks nice

Been hunting there annually for 6-7 years - great place and down to earth my-type-off people.
What draws me there every year, over and above the friendships forged and the hunting - is that you have a choice where you want to stay for your hunt - Bushcamp away from farmhouse in the veld with nothing but a 'water donkey' and firewood, or luxury Bungalow at farmhouse. I have always taken the bushcamp - love it, serenity, animal sounds - just love it!!!

Earlier this year however, my daughter talked me into taking her with on my trip there - so i was sort-off compelled to take the luxury bungalow - but not my cup of tea - really. The bushcamp is my choice again next year.

be mine too, as long as there is somewhere to keep the beer cold! i didnt see it mentioned on the website.

Hi mate,

no there is no such "luxury" in the bushcamp - what i do is take a x-tra coolbox with and fill it up with block-ice in Omaruru - it lasts about 4 days - If i stay longer and need more ice, i usually ask the farm to freeze up a couple of bags water for me and get it the day after - no problem.

Are you contemplating comming down this way sometime?

thought that might be the plan. i am taking my son down to our place in zambia next month but only for a couple of weeks this time, otherwise i might have had a drive into namibia with him. i enjoyed the country on my drive through, such a change from the desert to proper bush , and everything in between! unfortunately when they give you transit papers for the vehicle you only have three days, and the insurance is only valid for daylight hours, and as i only got my vehicle from the shippers late afternoon it didnt give me any time for sight seeing before i had to be at the border. if i can make a plan i am going to have a look at maybe visiting there next year, as i definately found it an intriguing country on my rapid drive through!

Bullets arriving tomorrow in Windhoek from Germany.
Friend bringing it to the coast.
Will try squeeze some time during w/end to go to the range on Sunday.

Next weekend going s/buck hunting in Southern Namibia (and freeze my a..rse off!!!)
Should range performance be good - i will try these on s/buck first.

Will keep you posted either way.
Did you ever get to use these bullets and how do you rate them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg