Running a double rifle

Brother @Tanks ,
Let's see a video of you "running" it like one of those cowboy shotguns. I don't think anyone can bring themselves to manipulate their double rifle that hard and fast.
And no one would use a double rifle as if it was a shotgun weighing half as much. Your original comment was about double rifles. Moving the goal posts here. ;)

That’s like me telling bullseye shooters that they suck because they are not getting.15 or faster splits on their group shooting like USPSA/IPSC shooters.

Ahem. I think I am decent with it, so are many others on this forum. Also, the OP is about a scoped .375 H&H, a medium bore rat caliber ;) , with hardly any recoil. The cost is also minimal compared to the big bores especially if one reloads.

full

full

Thanks for sharing the video @Tanks, showcasing the proper form for shooting a double!

But despite my diminutive calibre, I actually never intended this thread to be about my double specifically. But rather about all the best practices involved in the use, care, transport, maintenance, handling of a fine double rifle, in short “how to run a double rifle”. Nothing operatoresque intended @crs @Forrest Halley ;)

To put it bluntly I think yet again this is another over thinking thread.....buy a double rifle if you want and go shoot it....simple....First time I shot one was as I have said before a 470 rigby , and got a very nice 44.5 inch buff in the selous.....also my first African or any big game animal as said already....I really don't get how people seem to worry and over think all this stuff....if you can shoot...then just do what you normally do..... maybe I just don't think too much...or get hung up over stuff like this...

Thanks for sharing the video @Tanks, showcasing the proper form for shooting a double!

But despite my diminutive calibre, I actually never intended this thread to be about my double specifically. But rather about all the best practices involved in the use, care, transport, maintenance, handling of a fine double rifle, in short “how to run a double rifle”. Nothing operatoresque intended @crs @Forrest Halley ;)

It's a rifle...no different to your other ones...just has 2 barrels...so not sure any difference in transport...etc etc etc ... :D Beers:

Or maybe spike.t you do not need to dream and chat about Africa so much, because you are blessed to live there :)

I agree wholeheartedly that a lot of what is written on most AH.com threads, including by myself, is overthinking :S Beat Dead Horse:, but I see all this thinking and hypothesizing and optimizing and perfecting and preparing and practicing ... and daydreaming etc. as a form of therapy attempting not to get apathic :A Coffee: or desperate :S Sos: for 11.5 months (for those who can go every year) or 23.5 months (for those who can go only every other year) waiting and dreaming about the next trip to Africa :A Camping:

I do say this of course in some sort of bitter humor, but we all know that behind every sour joke there is a layer of truth ;)

Over thinking and writing all this safari stuff, seems to me like standing in an Alcoholic Anonymous meeting and sharing life since the last meeting (no actual experience yet :ROFLMAO:) . It does not beat a good scotch, or a decent gin, but it sure beats spending the same time watching the stupid box and getting one's intelligence insulted by the talking heads :E Rofl:

Actually, I was saying to a friend recently that I am starting to understand what jail inmates feel, waiting for and counting the days until their release. At least, reading and writing these overthought threads, means that the time is not spend in solitary confinement :cry:

So... likely boring (and apologies) to a guy like you, Mike, who happens to be "outside," but possibly therapeutic to guys who happen to be "inside" :A Exam:

PS: not to mention that this is all really good for the hunting and shooting economy as I am intimately convinced that the vast majority of our stuff purchased during the off months "for Africa" is but compensation for not being there :A Gathering:

Last edited:
And no one would use a double rifle as if it was a shotgun weighing half as much. Your original comment was about double rifles. Moving the goal posts here. ;)

That’s like me telling bullseye shooters that they suck because they are not getting.15 or faster splits on their group shooting like USPSA/IPSC shooters.
No no I'm not sliding goal posts. I realize that there is a difference. I'd like to see four quick shots with a perfect reload is all. Something practical for a charging dangerous game animal. You've got solid form. I will not dispute that, but could you go faster lining up the initial shot and skip the readjusting of the glasses? Perhaps it is possible to shoot two, nail a reload, and shoot two more at say 25 and 15 yards in four seconds? To me it seems like four shots will solve most problems.

You've got a great advantage on reloading with those .375's! The shells will just fly right in. Pour it on with two fast shots and reload in three seconds and do it again.

Or maybe spike.t you do not need to dream and chat about Africa so much, because you are blessed to live there :)

I agree wholeheartedly that a lot of what is written on most AH.com threads, including by myself, is overthinking :S Beat Dead Horse:, but I see all this thinking and hypothesizing and optimizing and perfecting and preparing and practicing ... and daydreaming etc. as a form of therapy attempting not to get apathic :A Coffee: or desperate :S Sos: for 11.5 months (for those who can go every year) or 23.5 months (for those who can go only every other year) waiting and dreaming about the next trip to Africa :A Camping:

I do say this of course in some sort of bitter humor, but we all know that behind every sour joke there is a layer of truth ;)

Over thinking and writing all this safari stuff, seems to me like standing in an Alcoholic Anonymous meeting and sharing life since the last meeting (no actual experience yet :ROFLMAO:) . It does not beat a good scotch, or a decent gin, but it sure beats spending the same time watching the stupid box and getting one's intelligence insulted by the talking heads :E Rofl:

Actually, I was saying to a friend recently that I am starting to understand what jail inmates feel, waiting for and counting the days until their release. At least, reading and writing these overthought threads, means that the time is not spend in solitary confinement :cry:

So... likely boring (and apologies) to a guy like you, Mike, who happens to be "outside," but possibly therapeutic to guys who happen to be "inside" :A Exam:

PS: not to mention that this is all really good for the hunting and shooting economy as I am intimately convinced that the vast majority of our stuff purchased during the off months "for Africa" is but compensation for not being there :A Gathering:

OK since you put it that way...everyone go for it :E Big Grin: :D Beers:

Couldn't agree more, you have to dream, hunt in your head. Even we who are fortunate to live in Africa need to fill the spaces - my lock screen is a double, my home screen is a double, I am a double junkie.

This last trip I got to use a double in a slightly different mode - not to put a fast second shot into the same animal, but to swing onto a second animal altogether. A left and right. A light double at less than 8 pounds is fabulous for this, according to me who has done it precisely once!

Couldn't agree more, you have to dream, hunt in your head. Even we who are fortunate to live in Africa need to fill the spaces - my lock screen is a double, my home screen is a double, I am a double junkie.

Well Kevin one of my emails starts with .... .doubleaddict....so yeah kinda the same as you :E Big Grin:

It's a rifle...no different to your other ones...just has 2 barrels...so not sure any difference in transport...etc etc etc ... :D Beers:
Hehe, I'm sure it will not be that different than any other rifle. The reason I would talk about transport specifically, is because double guns generally are in the category of fine guns. Which merits perhaps some additional considerations or thought put into it to keep them as safe as possible.

I believe it was @Tanks who told of the unfortunate marks on his double, from (mis)handling of his double by the trackers, when putting it in the back of the truck. Lesson: do not separate yourself from your rifle and do not trust that 3 times explaining how someone else should handle it, will guarantee anything...

Another member pointed out that he only realised at the end of a day of walking that the rims of his cartridges left a nice trace on the wood stock of his rifle. Completely avoidable had someone pointed this out to him on beforehand.

These two points just of the top of my head, and I'm sure other such points can come up from people who took a fine (double) rifle to Africa or elsewhere.

Hehe, I'm sure it will not be that different than any other rifle. The reason I would talk about transport specifically, is because double guns generally are in the category of fine guns. Which merits perhaps some additional considerations or thought put into it to keep them as safe as possible.

I believe it was @Tanks who told of the unfortunate marks on his double, from (mis)handling of his double by the trackers, when putting it in the back of the truck. Lesson: do not separate yourself from your rifle and do not trust that 3 times explaining how someone else should handle it, will guarantee anything...

Another member pointed out that he only realised at the end of a day of walking that the rims of his cartridges left a nice trace on the wood stock of his rifle. Completely avoidable had someone pointed this out to him on beforehand.

These two points just of the top of my head, and I'm sure other such points can come up from people who took a fine (double) rifle to Africa or elsewhere.

As I said in reply to @One Day... post ..go for it...but what you have posted here can happen to any rifle...and there are a lot of double rifles I wouldn't call a fine double rifle...not knocking them but they are in the working gun category...there are a lot more bolt action rifles out there that come into the fine gun category...but even then with mine I have had in the past both doubleand bolt...that definitely came in the fine gun category I never thought like you are...I used them , and that was it...no different from taking an expensive exotic car out and driving it to the limits....so yeah am back in the too much over thinking mode going on here ....

Took mine for a back up in case of a whitetail charge. My kid did the job nice with a bolt rifle in 308 Norma, but I was ready with the 470 double just in case.

500 grain Hornady dgs did out penetrate 500 grain swift A frames on poplar trees.

Tried to get my cousin to try the 470, he said maybe next year. He isn't a gun nut like me I guess.

My son with my 470, he is just 13 so it will be a little while before I let him shoot it.

PXL_20211112_230406073.MP.jpg

What is your opinion upon transporting a double - in one piece or broken down in a smaller case? I have a very neat high quality small case in welded aluminium, the double would be absolutely safe in there, but is it not better to leave a double assembled as much as possible? I am concerned about dirt ingress, but also deforming little edges upon assembly and re-assembly.

What is your opinion upon transporting a double - in one piece or broken down in a smaller case? I have a very neat high quality small case in welded aluminium, the double would be absolutely safe in there, but is it not better to leave a double assembled as much as possible? I am concerned about dirt ingress, but also deforming little edges upon assembly and re-assembly.

I fully intend to travel with it in two pieces, it is one of the main advantages of a double rifle.

Actually, it is recommended that it is broken down for transport. Heck, look at all the cases from high end manufacturers, always broken down.

WR-_20343-The-Forest-Rifle-21801-Edit.jpg

As @Tanks photo shows, quality doubles (shotguns and rifles) are traditionally stored broken down in an oak and leather case. I travel (in my truck or an airplane) with both doubles and my R8's broken down. Most importantly, I am personally convinced that a smaller case is safest way to consign a fine gun to the cargo compartment of an airliner.

@Tanks is that your drop lock!?! :oops:

When shooting Big Bores, the best way to handle the recoil, from the standing position, is to stand, up on the balls o' your feet, knees slightly bent, leaning as far forward as possible(Without losing your balance), and pull the Rifle as tightly into your shoulder, as you possibly can... This will give your spine lots o' sway to absorb the recoil... It you stand with your back straight up and down, lean backwards, dig in your heels, or hold the Rifle loosely, you significantly increase the chances o' landing on your backside... I don't recommend shooting Big Bores from the Bench, as you will take a helluva hammering... If you must shoot supported, then shooting sticks would be a lot more comfortable than the Bench(But still lean far forward into your Rifle and hold it tight into your shoulder...) Personally, I much prefer to Shoot Doubles(Or any Rifle, for that matter) standing, unsupported(Unless I'm shooting at 125+ Yards)... The main thing, is get to know your Rifle... The more time you spend practicing with it, the more it will feel a part o' you... Get yourself some Snap Caps to practice your Trigger Technique...(Aim at a spot on the wall or a doorknob, and slowly squeeze the trigger... The click should be a surprise... This is a great way to also practice proper breathing, as well... Breathe all the way in & all the way out twice, on the 3rd breath, breathe all the way in, let half o' the breath out, hold your breath, and slowly squeeze the trigger) I also highly recommend getting some Dummy Rounds Made up(Spent Casing with no Primer or Powder, with a Bullet seated) for practicing Loading... I cannot reiterate how important Target Practice is, before you go Hunting with it! Far too many people go to Africa and Hunt with a Rifle that they have never even fired before they got there! One way to save Ammunition cost, is to practice with another, cheaper to shoot, Rifle, and fire a few rounds through your Double, at the end o' each Range trip.(You will already be somewhat warmed up)... As others have said, lots o' trigger time with a SXS Shotgun will also help you immensely, with regards to muscle memory... Rule #1
"Never enter the field with an unfamiliar Rifle..." P.S. When you squeeze the Trigger, squeeze your entire hand, not just your Trigger Finger...(This will help you not to jerk the trigger)... P.P.S. What did you get for a Double? Got any pictures?
When I lived in Texas I took a shooting lesson from a Navy Seal shooting instructor. He taught me NOT to use the let out your breath halfway then pull trigger. He said your heartbeat is always at its lowest when you are at the absolute bottom of letting out ALL your breath then you have about six seconds to gently squeeze the trigger and always “calling” your shot. It made all the difference in my shooting any gun

@Tanks you gotta lie more often. “Why yes that is my best WR drop lock in its exhibition oak and leather case”. :ROFLMAO:

@Kevin Peacocke when I’m in Zim I have this giant, big, ugly, ugly, ugly Americase that holds three rifles and appears similar to a rolling coffin. It’s exactly fits the width of a cruiser tail bed. It’s built like a brick sh1th*&se. The safest place for all guns in Africa is under the guy’s feet on the high seat of the cruiser. They can jump on this case, kick it, haul a buffalo over it, stand on it all day, spill water on it, and yet all the weapons survive. This is far safer than the gun rack of a cruiser in my opinion, a location where the guys have ruined several of my guns over the years. 1.) Cramming the guns in the rack hooks, crushing the checkering at wrist and forend. 2.) Verifying the gun is unloaded by forcing the bolt on a Mauser so hard they break the three position safety (multiple times). 3.) Knocking the QD scopes loose. 4.) Scratching the hell out of the guns by putting them in wrong and letting the zippers skate over the gun and optic.

So above was the Zimbabwe-resistant recommendation. For international travel, to and from travel in the States, or ANY time I mail a gun that is a double, I always-always break down the gun. A.) shorter packages are stronger. B.) Disassembled has less likelihood of breaking the gun at the wrist or hinge pin which is really easy to do with sideways force in The middle. C.) Looks less like a gun giving a better chance that an anti doesn’t intentionally destroy it.

Transporting a double assembled is generally considered a faux pas. Another unrelated faux pas that I have Not been convinced of is the idea of taking the bolt out of a magazine rifle for transport…I can’t figure out why this is important. The amount of rifles with missing bolts surely outnumbers the amount damaged by being shipped with the bolt in place by a ratio of a billion to one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maximo5631

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,