Ruger M77 458 Win Mag

Buster95

AH member
Reaction score
I have an old (1978) tang safety M77 in .458 Win. Mag, I tried to disassemble the rifle but the forend screw is stuck, I tried turning it and it only turns a short ways and stops, any advice how to remove this screw?

Also, where I can find the instruction manual (PDF) for this particular rifle?

Call Ruger customer service Monday and they will help with the manual.

I ran across the same problem and never had the time to research the solution.

I contacted the previous owner and here's the reply:

The forend screw on those rifles does not come out, it stays in the forend and only turns like one turn or thereabouts to secure itself to the forend bracket inside the forend. What you have to do first is unscrew the front sling swivel stud. It screws into the barrel band. Once you have done that you can undo the forend screw from the bracket and the action screws and you will be able to remove the stock.

enysse, can you tell me if the tang safety button on your Ruger M77 rattles around when the button is not engaged (FIRE position) but not if the button is engaged (SAFE position)?

Mine doesn't rattle around. My gun was bought from a gunsmith who worked all the kinks out of it before I used it though.
There are few people on here that own one maybe they will chime in on the subject.

I fixed the safety button, I just bent the link a little bit.

Does anyone know the front sight height on this rifle? My sight is damaged and I would like to order a new one.

Attachments

• m77-above79.pdf
    871.3 KB · Views: 178
  • m77-below79.pdf
    880.5 KB · Views: 140

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg