Ruger Guide Gun thoughts and reviews

I have a feeling that both 35 Whelen and 338 WinMag would perform just fine on cape buffalo. I wonder if anyone here has used either on dangerous game either before caliber restrictions were put in place or in countries that don't maintain the 375 minimum rule.
They use many calibers under 375 on Australian Buffalo. Many of the outfitters recommend minimum of 338 Win Mag on their websites, but I doubt it's a requirement. That said, why not just use a 375? It's more than just adequate on Buffalo, and meets the requirements for elephant as well. The 338 seems to recoil about the same as a 375, and you don't need a long-ish range caliber for Buffalo, so I just don't see the need to go under 375.
Craig Boddington did mention killing a Buffalo with a 338, and said it did a great job, but he still doesn't really recommend it. I'm sure it would penetrate as well or even better than a 375 with good bullets, but you're starting to lose a lot of frontal/caliber size once you go down that far below 375. Heck, the 375 is pretty small itself, when compared to something like a 458 or larger. Many people say that caliber size is very important when dealing with big tough animals such as Buffalo. Probably not because the smaller calibers won't kill well, but because the larger calibers kill more quickly.

I have a feeling that both 35 Whelen and 338 WinMag would perform just fine on cape buffalo. I wonder if anyone here has used either on dangerous game either before caliber restrictions were put in place or in countries that don't maintain the 375 minimum rule.

@NorthernNomad
Converting a 30-06 to 35 Whelen is always a good option.
Loaded properly it will do all the 338WM will do out to 400yrds and with a 310gn Woodleigh at 2400fps and 4,000fpe of muzzle energy it will put a lot of hurt on bigger game.
I am a 35 Whelen tragic tho.
Just a pity it's not legal for dg like the 375 is.
Bob
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
I was hoping you might find this thread as your other comments and posts on this site regarding the 35 Whelen have had a significant influence on my interest in the cartridge. My plan is to hand load for the 35 Whelen once I get the whole project put together, so I appreciate the powder suggestion as well. In terms of converting an 06 to a Whelen, are there any specific considerations you would recommend such as companies, barrel contours, twist rates, etc. I would like to be able to use the full range of .358 bullets, so any input/experience you’ve had there would be greatly appreciated.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
I was hoping you might find this thread as your other comments and posts on this site regarding the 35 Whelen have had a significant influence on my interest in the cartridge. My plan is to hand load for the 35 Whelen once I get the whole project put together, so I appreciate the powder suggestion as well. In terms of converting an 06 to a Whelen, are there any specific considerations you would recommend such as companies, barrel contours, twist rates, etc. I would like to be able to use the full range of .358 bullets, so any input/experience you’ve had there would be greatly appreciated.
@NorthernNomad
Any good 35 cal barrel will do. I tend to like Liijla barrels but there are other good brands out there like shilen and others. A 1 in 12 twist will stabilise all bullet weights. A medium contor is fine and my barrel is 25 inches so I can get the best out of the Whelen .
Bob

I have a heavily modified 375 Ruger. It's a solid gun. For your purposes a Guide Gun in 30-06 might be a bit heavy. Outside of Alaska you could do everything with a 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor that was lighter and easier to get ammo for.

I like suppressors but I've been liking electronic ear protection too. If you might end up in California you might consider that.
What did you have done?

I just took a quick look and found a company called 'Infinite Thread Adapters' that offers an adapter from 1/2-24 to 5/8-24 for $24. I've never used their products, so I have no idea if they're any good.

If you buy a HUB can (one with the rear threaded 1.375X24) you may be able to find a direct thread mount in 1/2-24 so you can get rid of the extra threaded joint and the potential misalignment that comes with it. I'm not aware of one, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Worst case, you could have one custom made. Ecco Machine would probably be able to help you out with a custom mount.

I checked Griffin Armament's site and they don't have any muzzle devices in 1/2-24. They generally have the best selection of oddball threaded muzzle devices that I've found.
If it’s 1/2”x28…

Attachments

• HUB Fixed Mount | Dead Air Silencers.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
What did you have done?
I had the barrel trimmed to 16 inches and turned down on a lathe. Also had some metal ground off the action. The heavy express sites were removed and replaced with lighter ones. It was in a glass bedded plastic stock but I'm having a fiberglass one made.

I have 0 experience with the Ruger Guide gun, but I DO have a .30-06 that I had rebored to ..35 Whelan. I would NOT do this again. For a Few Dollars More (get the movie reference?) just get a new barrel.
Agree - just REbarrel the gun.....although .35 Whelen is a fine “thumper” the 30-06 is already “close” to a perfect All-Around-caliber and ammo easily available. Regarding the suppressor - I know they are popular now (incredible marketing/advertising past 10 years) but I’d rather hang a Grenade Launcher on the end of my barrel...or just a cinder block if I needed extra weight. For anything those calibers can’t handle (there’s really NOTHING they can’t handle) jump up to a .375 H&H or larger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TobiasStor

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.