Ruger American Compact

I figured I would provide an update. So I didn’t have time to send the rifle back before our trip last summer so I did what any self respecting redneck would do, I got out my dremel tool.

It turns out the ceracote finish was a little too thick where the bolt handle passes through the receiver. I polished it down a little and made the rifle serviceable.

With the bolt problem solved the rifle shot great. It works perfectly as a suppressor host. So far the girls have racked up a couple impala and a deer.

159D4100-CA51-49E0-89C2-7AF7AA8CAD74.jpeg
C9A8DD05-58DC-4C7B-AB35-37846065F673.jpeg
52DA3733-0468-4957-B5F0-CC7687BD6A70.jpeg
2F60D0BE-9857-454B-91DF-88824C2B2348.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's Awesome. thanks for sharing!!

Have one in 308 stainless. It’s been a great little rifle.

I have a Ranch rifle in 7.62x39, ugly plastic stock, all steel magazine shoots amazingly well, smooth action its not in the class of a Ruger 77 but it works. i put a trigger spring kit in it.

I ordered a Ruger American Compact with a camo stock and cerakote finish. I picked it up at the local gun store today and man was I disappointed. It is unquestionably the worst action and finish of if any gun I have ever purchased. You practically have to beat the bolt out of the thing.
What you pay is what you get....
Hunting is the most valuable time we have. Why to hell wasting this treasure with trash like this?

HWL

I ordered a Ruger American Compact with a camo stock and cerakote finish. I picked it up at the local gun store today and man was I disappointed. It is unquestionably the worst action and finish of if any gun I have ever purchased. You practically have to beat the bolt out of the thing.

I got it for the kids to shoot. I thought it would make a great suppressor host because it has 16” threaded barrel. I’m not sure if I got a lemon if if there are all coming out of the factory like this.

So now I guess I have to see about sending it back or getting it to a gunsmith to sort things out. It’s a 600 dollar rifle so I wasn’t expecting much, but this is terrible.
Those bolts should loosen up with time. I have a couple and understand where you are coming from.

I bought 2 of the compacts in 308 probably 10-12 years ago… I sold one of them to a friend 2 seasons ago… I hadn’t used it in several years and had loaned it to him for his first deer hunt… he took a really nice 10 point.. after that he had to have the rifle.. he loves the little rifle and brought it back for deer season this year (bagged a nice doe this time around)…

I did some upgrades to both rifles… dropped them into Boyd’s laminate stocks.. replaced the plastic bolt shrouds and plastic trigger guards with steel, and threw a hornady bolt ball on them to make it a little easier to grab and manipulate the bolt… by the time I was done I could have bought a Ruger 77 for the same money… but.. they ended up being really nice little rifles..

My wife still has hers.. she’s taken deer and hogs with it… she also took it to South Africa on a hunt in 2016.. it was the rifle she was most comfortable with.. she took kudu, wildebeest, blesbok, and zebra with it o that trip… she’s gotten a whole lot of mileage out of that little entry level rifle…

She hasn’t touched it in several years at this point… but I don’t see her ever selling it.. she still loves it and it’s got sentimental value now..

I have owned two Ruger Americans, both GO wild camo + cerakote editions

One was a 300wm and upon firing, the bolt would not open without ising a 2x4 (think mosin nagant except 10x worse). I sent it back and they sent me a brand new rifle. Never told me the exact reason of what was wrong with it

The second one was a .308. I am a .308 fan, I own many rifles in this caliber so in my ammo safe is a multitude of factory loadings. I would say atleast 30-35 different boxes of ammo. This rifle would not shoot under 2 moa with any of them. I finally was able to spin up some handloads that it liked and I used it for a few years after

The experiences above has left me wary of Ruger and certain that I wont buy another American ever.

If you do keep it, look into a trigger spring from MCarbo. Totally worth it imo

I picked a Ruger American Compact in .308 up a few years ago as a sponsor gun from DU. Needed something for the grandkids to shoot with a little more oomph than the RAC in .243 that I've had for years (same source). I've been very happy with the action and accuracy of both. Even factory ammo was giving me right at an inch at 100yd with both; handloads will do 3/4" or less. Ended up selling the .308 to a buddy for his very petite wife; she loves it. The granddaughter is using a Weatherby Vanguard Compact in 7mm-08 now. It too, was surprisingly accurate. Only gripe with the RAC or the Vanguard is the ugly black plastic stock they come with.

Good to hear you got it sorted out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg