Round Chambered…or Not?

Okay. Space station debris could fall on him too I guess. Don't forget your tinfoil hat. :D
It’s a Rand hat.

Oh lordie, we don’t wanna go down that road again

:cool:

Reactions: WAB
PH is always in front in DG country. I have trouble picturing a scenario where a licensed PH would not be in a "position to intervene" if "it hits the fan."

You need to read my hunt report from the Save in 2017. Not all charges come from the animal you are targeting or from in front.

In my experience lead tracker went first followed by the PH then the client and if a second tracker/gun bearer last.

I follow what the PH instructs me to do. And at the beginning of the hunt I ask what their policy is in this regard.

I have been on 11 African safaris and I believe in all cases the PH's wanted me to load a round in the chamber and put the rifle on safety when just after leaving the vehicle on a stalk and, if previously not unloaded, unload before getting back on the vehicle. Regardless, I always double check my rifle and announce I am "unloaded" or "safe" before I get back on the vehicle.

Cheney was born in Nebraska one state away from Texas and educated in Wyoming. Hardly makes him a "Yankee."
Take out a map or learn your geography, and yes he’s a yankee

So thanks, I actually received a lot of queries on this... "whether rangers in DG areas really do not walk with loaded rifles; are they crazy?"

Why then do some PH's walk with loaded rifles in DG country, whereas Rangers do not. Well, that is easy somewhat. Each PH has his own rules, whereas Rangers mostly have to follow certain standards... Are the standards then wrong, no not all. Also, on a hunt, when following up a wounded DG animal, I think common sense then prevails and rifles are loaded. Facts unfortunately are that in such circumstances, being shot is more prevalent and bigger risk than being mauled/stomped etc. The rest of the answer is not addressing reasons for PH's doing it their way and allowing/not allowing clients, this more to answer the question of the rangers.

No way in hell I would hunt with a Ranger that has a loaded rifle. I make sure at the beginning of each hunt that the Ranger has an unloaded gun. An AK-47 round is just going to piss off an elephant or a buffalo not to mention he/she would most likely shoot us then the animal.

Heck, I don't even trust cops with loaded guns. POST firearms qualifications are a joke, and most cops can't hit the right side of the barn. Just recently we had a shootout, 70+ shots fired at the suspect, 3 hits and only 1 fatal (according to a friend who is an EMT). Guess they believed in suppressive fire :unsure:

PH is always in front in DG country. I have trouble picturing a scenario where a licensed PH would not be in a "position to intervene" if "it hits the fan."
One time I was charged by an elephant the PH was blocked by his tracker. I was the one that stopped it at about 15 yards.

I can think of nothing worse than accidentally shooting my PH, or a tracker, or anyone else for that matter. That would be far worse than the pleasure of shooting my buff, and to me anyway, far worse than being injured myself. So it all comes down to minimising the chances of that happening. The vast majority of the time on tracks is low yield and there is almost no chance of needing to take a shot. So why risk it? So I don't chamber a round(s) for that part. You will know when things hot up, and then you chamber and put on safe, and for that lesser time you are more likely to stay focused and sharp enough to prevent any chance of an AD.
So you say, "I always have my rifle on safe when a round is chambered". Once, when walking on a hot stalk I was chambered and found my double off safe. How did that happen? I am not a fool, I know I had it on safe, but it somehow happened. Is that what I would tell his wife and kids? Call me paranoid, but I am a human and kak happens.

No way in hell I would hunt with a Ranger that has a loaded rifle. I make sure at the beginning of each hunt that the Ranger has an unloaded gun. An AK-47 round is just going to piss off an elephant or a buffalo not to mention he/she would most likely shoot us then the animal.

Heck, I don't even trust cops with loaded guns. POST firearms qualifications are a joke, and most cops can't hit the right side of the barn. Just recently we had a shootout, 70+ shots fired at the suspect, 3 hits and only 1 fatal (according to a friend who is an EMT). Guess they believed in suppressive fire :unsure:
Hi Tanks, haha no these are not the game rangers you would encounter on hunts. These are trained trail guides (or loosely used term game ranger) like you would have taking you on a guided walk/drive, with proper 458’s etc. But yes I hear you on those game rangers with the AK’s :)

My perception from reading various AH posts is that PHs require the client to carry their firearm unchambered on tracks, or at least from the track outset? I’m interested in hearing how a “routine” track might progress for buff, specifically, with regard to at what point the client is instructed to load?
Africa is a big place my friend. There are many different scenarios and reasons why one has one set of rules and another something all together different. When on a game ranch after a common antelope there is little reason to have the rifle chambered. Whereas if you were hunting with me in Zimbabwe where danger lurks around every corner it seems you will have your big gun loaded.
Of course be safe at all times and ask your PH about safety concerns.

I hunt with a loaded chamber and safety locked all the way back. However, the PH I hunt with most often, Alan Vincent, knows me very well and knows I’m safe. My safaris are almost always in dangerous game country, even if I’m not hunting DG so I carry at least a .338 and and usually .375 or .416. And they’re loaded as soon as I get off the truck and unloaded before it goes back on the truck.

Round in chamber if my feet are on the dirt regardless of dangerous or plains game. With that said, my safety is on until my rifle is on the sticks, and off when I remove it from the sticks. I couldn't imagine hunting Kudu for example with an empty chamber. You barely have time to get on the sticks and get the safety off without trying to quietly rack a round in your chamber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MargieGram

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)