Rough Camping & Survival Tips

hobo.jpg
 
I also carry a small trauma kit on my person all the time - tourniquet, some gauze, tampons, gloves.
thats another one of those things I have stashed away pretty much everywhere...

Ive got a combo trauma/boo-boo kit in the medicine cabinet.. Ive got a full blown trauma bag under the sink in the master bedroom..

Ive got trauma/boo-boo combos in my hunting pack, my oh-shit kit bag, the glove box of my truck, the glove box of my wifes SUV, and a few additional ones in different places (desk drawer, on a shelf in my hunt camp, etc)..

plus a full blown boo-boo kit under the sink in the bathroom as well..

its impossible to have too much fire making capability or emergency medical capability on hand (and Im in no way, shape, or form any sort of "prepper"..)... people getting hurt, whether its a small cut or a bee sting, or something more serious like a laceration that needs stitches or a broken bone, is pretty much inevitable if youre going to spend any measurable amount of time outdoors..
 
If you plan to spend time in a tent, especially in colder climates, bring a "pee bottle" Nothing is such a drag as to have to leave the warm snugness of a sleeping bag in the middle of the night.

- Even if it is a dry climate, not a chance in the world of rain or other dampness, waterproof everything anyway.

- Try to bring tools that can function to more than one purpose. For example, a cup that you can also use as a cointainer to boil water. A knife with a serratet edge.

- If you can bring an axe / hatchet, saw and a knife. Great. If you have to choose only one, choose the knife.

- Never leave a smoldering campfire. Take proper precautions to prevent a wildfire.

- Use wool as the innermost article of clothing. Works great in warmer climates as well.

- Try to follow the KISS-principle. "Keep it simple, stupid." Don't overcomplicate things.

- Have a backup plan, think worst case scenario.

What will you do if you yourself or someone in your company breaks a leg, cut themselves severly with a knife, if someone gets burns from fire, what if aliens invade your campground. (Just joking with the last part.)

I enjoy camping on my own most of the time, far from the usual camping spots so I always bring tools and supplies in order to be pretty much self sufficient. (First aid supplies, GPS with Inreach capabilities, emergency shelter and so forth.)

Just my two cents. I am not at any rate an expert but these I have learned the hard way, by trial and error.
 
credit to meritman
KNIFE.jpg
 
'Primitive' Atlatl.....
This "weapon" led to a real revolution in hunting techniques for large mammals such as horses
1f40e.png
, mammoths Este, bison Este, etc.
Stunning zoomorphic decorations give these pieces double practical and symbolic value for certain hunter-gatherers.

433933755_10212567737265487_8537928001223558423_n.jpg
433869464_10212567737665497_7643434423432116003_n.jpg
 
A light 5- in- 1 camp tool....
Untitled.jpg
 
ferro rod for fire!
With no 6--a whistle...
I meant the large object with a handle to the left of the ferro rod. It’s not numbered?
 
I meant the large object with a handle to the left of the ferro rod. It’s not numbered?
Surely that covers the blade. And has a carrying handle on top.
 
correct
 
thats another one of those things I have stashed away pretty much everywhere...

Ive got a combo trauma/boo-boo kit in the medicine cabinet.. Ive got a full blown trauma bag under the sink in the master bedroom..

Ive got trauma/boo-boo combos in my hunting pack, my oh-shit kit bag, the glove box of my truck, the glove box of my wifes SUV, and a few additional ones in different places (desk drawer, on a shelf in my hunt camp, etc)..

plus a full blown boo-boo kit under the sink in the bathroom as well..

its impossible to have too much fire making capability or emergency medical capability on hand (and Im in no way, shape, or form any sort of "prepper"..)... people getting hurt, whether its a small cut or a bee sting, or something more serious like a laceration that needs stitches or a broken bone, is pretty much inevitable if youre going to spend any measurable amount of time outdoors..
Couldn't agree more. Most of my medical is trauma based, but I'm never very far from a kit in the the truck or house.
 
Southern Hemisphere
ee472713eb3112cd6cd51067b2f5c6cf.jpg


437677647_410153781952016_6961920463702385674_n.jpg
shadow stick - Copy.jpg
u875g.png
find-north-using-the-sun-and-your-wristwatch2.png
 
438029543_7549165831793990_5870589679049220161_n.jpg
 
437865169_122138741978182648_1899934572945698952_n.jpg
 
437152258_1676324299568884_8026942107148274949_n.jpg


Skill = FIRE!!
Resource = WATER!!
Tool = KNIFE!!
 
Skill = FIRE!!
Resource = WATER!!
Tool = KNIFE!!
 
439282491_817305457104659_6428683547194511453_n.jpg
 
437163244_816733583828513_4727219463839048546_n.jpg
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,308
Messages
1,572,364
Members
169,543
Latest member
BarneyBroc
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top