Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
life member NAHC NRA
Hunted
US, RSA, ZIM
I was wondering if anyone has built a 416 Rigby or one of the big Wbys on a Rem 700 action and if so anything I should watch for?

I will be using a seekings precision bottom metal and magazine, so I should have the COL taken care of in that area. I am using a custom bolt with a Sako extractor and proper head size.

Anything else that I need to pay attention to? Advice would be appreciated.

I have been told that there is not enough metal left on the rim of the bolt face to be safe after the bolt has been reamed out to accept the cartridge head. Please verify this when you talk to a competent gunsmith about your project.

Ross Seyfried had a 700 in 416 remington, fact check, but that is what I remember, that he said was his most reliable rifle, if push feed.

I don’t see why not, they make them in .338 lapua and that’s the 416 case.

Rigby: .590
Lapua: .588
Weatherby: .579

You are correct- you'll have to use either a Sako or M16 type extractor. That necessitates the extractor being placed next to the lug which in turn may tend to flip extracted cartridges at a higher than optimal angle where they may impact either scope or mount. The Sako type extractor is a captured-by-detent system while the M16 type is cross pinned. Most consider the M16 type to be more robust.

Why not just take a Remington 700 in 300 RUM and rebarrel it to a 404 Jeffrey? That I think would take very little work. Bet the magazine takes zero modifications.

Contact them . The owner runs a blog about building custom dangerous game rifles , and is a master gunsmith . He recommends that the Remington Model 700 action is only ACCEPTABLE for large calibre dangerous game rounds , if used with M-16 extractors . The standard small extractor is not adequate for reliably extracting large .416 Rigby cases , when the bolt is operated speedily .

Nevertheless , there are much more superior actions available today ; which make the Remington Model 700 action quite superfluous for a dangerous game rifle build .

Contact them . The owner runs a blog about building custom dangerous game rifles , and is a master gunsmith . He recommends that the Remington Model 700 action is only ACCEPTABLE for large calibre dangerous game rounds , if used with M-16 extractors . The standard small extractor is not adequate for reliably extracting large .416 Rigby cases , when the bolt is operated speedily .

Nevertheless , there are much more superior actions available today ; which make the Remington Model 700 action quite superfluous for a dangerous game rifle build .
Correct me if I am mistaken, but this is the same guy that was a complete horse's posterior on this very forum and it would appear he has renamed his company and put it in his wife's name calling it now a woman owned business. Corey B. James.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but this is the same guy that was a complete horse's posterior on this very forum and it would appear he has renamed his company and put it in his wife's name calling it now a woman owned business. Corey B. James.
@Forrest Halley
Why yes . That is his name . Was he a member of AH forums ? I came across his blog a few weeks ago ( one of my students is his “ friend “ on the “ face book “ social media site and recommended the blog to me ) .

I hope that you will pardon my ignorance , but I was completely unaware that he was the subject of any controversy on AH forums . I certainly found his philosophy on the Remington Model 700 extractor , to be quite agreeable . Nevertheless , being a knowledgeable gunsmith ( in certain areas ) does not justify any sort of uncouth behavior towards our forum members .

Last edited:
Corey B James indeed. He showed a tactical rifle on this forum and it failed to impress, so he showed his childish side. He took credit for some work of AHR in a few .600 OK builds on another forum and was called out by Wayne himself. The individual is quite difficult to get beneath.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross