Rigby "Big Game" Model in 450 Rigby

Very nice . I had trouble deciding whether to go 450 or 416. I eventually went for the 416 in the SSB in the PH model. Only picked it up yesterday.
As to the front bead size. I find it is fine. I’ve got no issues using it on both my DSB 375 and on my 30/06 Highlander.

Very nice . I had trouble deciding whether to go 450 or 416. I eventually went for the 416 in the SSB in the PH model. Only picked it up yesterday.
As to the front bead size. I find it is fine. I’ve got no issues using it on both my DSB 375 and on my 30/06 Highlander.
Nice let me know how it shoots.

Congrat's @Aussie hunter ! let us know your findings on how it shoots!
I too am looking hard at a Rigby Big Game .416, but I'd rather go for the double square bridge design.
Definitely a much more versatile rifle the double square bridge, but since I have been looking at another open sighted big bore in a double rifle I started considering the 450 Rigby again and just couldn't pass up the deal.

Evening lads and ladies, so got my hands on the Rigby this afternoon. So far very impressed and happy with it. Will be straight to the range to chrono loads and then out in the field hunting on the weekend. First impressions
The open sights are really good, better than I expected, very quick target acquisition with the straight stock design.
The 14.5" LOP feels good.
Recoil pad is bloody hard but not as bad as what I have been hearing so might be ok for a working rifle, I'll do some shooting with it before I consider changing it.
Overall weight is good for a 450 also I like heavy rifles, Rigby advertise the rifle at 10.5lbs but my scales are saying right on 11lbs.
Balance is slightly barrel heavy but when shouldering the rifle I don't notice it.
Trigger pull feels really good, my guess is around the 3lb mark, a little lighter than I expected it to be also very crisp.
The action is what I expected very slick, the flag safety is very stiff with really good positive clicks but I would say with use this will free up a bit.
Fit and finish is exactly what I thought it would be, perfect.
The colour case hardening on the cross bolt and the grip cap plus the flame blue extractor claw is a nice touch.
Happy with the wood, it's not over the top, I think just right for a working rifle.
I'll post a range and hunting report in a few days.

1638954710326.jpeg

1638954740009.jpeg

1638954769519.jpeg

1638954794833.jpeg

1638954826014.jpeg

1638954860188.jpeg

1638954886074.jpeg

1638954911073.jpeg

Look forward to seeing how she shoots. Did you buy any factory ammunition or are you just shooting handloads ?

Look forward to seeing how she shoots. Did you buy any factory ammunition or are you just shooting handloads ?
All handloads, starting out with a 500 grain Woodleigh RNSN at around 2300fps, also going to work up loads with 400 grain Woodleighs and 550 grain Woodleighs for buffalo. I will most likely use the 400 grain Woodleighs for range work and save the 500 & 550 grainers for hunting.

Gorgeous ! @Aussie_Hunter Looking forward to hearing how she shoots!

Really nice good going on buying it.
It will sure be at home for what you need out of a rifle if I wasn't going to shoot 200 rounds plus in a year in a 45 calibre 450 Rigby would have been it instead of the lott.

But the expensive cases, amount of powder it eats just doesnt make economical sense for me.

Really nice good going on buying it.
It will sure be at home for what you need out of a rifle if I wasn't going to shoot 200 rounds plus in a year in a 45 calibre 450 Rigby would have been it instead of the lott.

But the expensive cases, amount of powder it eats just doesnt make economical sense for me.
I agree with this, I still think the 458 Lott is the best 45 cal cartridge, brass is very reasonably priced, much smaller powder charges compared to the 450 Rigby and 450 NE and still pushes a 500 grain bullet at 2200-2300fps. My 458 Lott does more work in the field each year than all my other rifles put together. But if you want to own a Rigby then the 450 Rigby chambering is the only 45 cal option, unless you have the money to buy a London best so you can have it chambered in 458 Lott or whatever cartridge you want.

Better group than the factory target which is not surprising. Both my BSB in 375 and HS in 30/06 are tack drivers….and both their factory test targets are so so.

Better group than the factory target which is not surprising. Both my BSB in 375 and HS in 30/06 are tack drivers….and both their factory test targets are so so.
I definitely think I can better it as well if I get a chance to shoot off a bench properly. Mind you shooting this thing off the sticks is pretty wild let alone shooting it off the bench haha So I think I'll go back to offhand shooting now, start getting some more real world practice in with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmieFletch

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg