Rifle Selection

Aleks

New member
Joined
Feb 12, 2019
Messages
7
Reaction score
3
Location
Whitehorse
Hunted
Canada, USA
Hey guys, new here. Looking into a .375 h&h rifle, specifically Sako 85 kodiak. Thoughts on Sako? Any other rifles you'd recommend chambered for the same caliber? Thanks!
 
First off a big Welcome!
Don't know much about Sako but I'm sure they make a good rifle.
Being a M70 die hard you can probably guess my suggestion.
Best to handle as many different manufactured rifles as you can and see what feels right and go from there.
Great pick of caliber I might add
 
First off a big Welcome!
Don't know much about Sako but I'm sure they make a good rifle.
Being a M70 die hard you can probably guess my suggestion.
Best to handle as many different manufactured rifles as you can and see what feels right and go from there.
Great pick of caliber I might add
Thank you! I’ve heard some very good things about m70 wins but the only thing being difficult is that I need an all weather stock. I chose a 375 because I hunt in grizz country and need somethin with a little more stopping power than a 300 win mag in close quarters.
 
I have 3 375's, 1 is a syn/stainless for many AK bear hunts. It's the classic they produced several years back.
 
Hey guys, new here. Looking into a .375 h&h rifle, specifically Sako 85 kodiak. Thoughts on Sako? Any other rifles you'd recommend chambered for the same caliber? Thanks!
Ruger’s Alaskan model in .375 Ruger are also awesome rifles, if you reload. The factory ammunition available is great for non dangerous game.
Many here have had very bad experiences with Hornady DGS and DGX bullets though. I just reload CEB and Barnes TSX and never had anything but stellar performance out of them.

I love Hornady non dangerous game bullets though.
 
Ruger’s Alaskan model in .375 Ruger are also awesome rifles, if you reload. The factory ammunition available is great for non dangerous game.
Many here have had very bad experiences with Hornady DGS and DGX bullets though. I just reload CEB and Barnes TSX and never had anything but stellar performance out of them.

I love Hornady non dangerous game bullets though.
Ruger makes pretty solid guns in my opinion. I have heard many bad things about Hornady DGS/DGX. I’ll definitley steer clear from those!
 
Ruger makes pretty solid guns in my opinion. I have heard many bad things about Hornady DGS/DGX. I’ll definitley steer clear from those!
If you reload, it is an amazing rifle. If you buy one in a plains game caliber, you can use hornady ammunition with confidence.
 
Sako are a quality manufacturer of firearms.
They are very popular in the UK and Europe for good reason.
Dependable and reliable and manufactured to high standards.
I don't own one but I've used one and know plenty of people that are owners and noone has had anything but good things to say about them.
The 75 model was a better gun and the second hand market for these is good but the 85 is still a fine rifle.
 
My .375 is an old Sako LV. It is light but I’ve not had any feeding / ejection issues even though it isn’t controlled round feed. Initially it gave OK accuracy but glass bedding the recoil lug area improved the accuracy by about .2”.
Fit and finish is better than the average production rifle
and the action has always been pretty smooth. The trigger is pretty crisp. Bottom line.. I’d buy again.
If I were to buy another .375, it would be the Montana Rifle Co.
 
Best to handle as many different manufactured rifles as you can and see what feels right and go from there.

This!
 
I have a 375 H&H Ruger #1 and absolutely love it.
 
I have heard an watched YouTube videos of guys complaining about the Sako Kodiak ejected brass hitting the scope. This sometimes results in the brass falling back into the magazine area and jamming the bolt. The Sako doesn’t have a true control round feed like the Winchester model 70. I have a couple of Model 70 Winchesters and would highly recommended them. I also have a Kimber Caprivi in 375 H&H with control round feed and would recommend it as well.
 
I have a Ruger Alaskan 375 Ruger that I've carried a bit in AK. It's hard to beat for the money. Worthwhile improvements are Alaska Arms QD rings and MPI stock.
As to ammo, it's hard to beat the versatility of Barnes TSX 270 grain bullets in either the H&H or Ruger. Doubletap loads that bullet for both cartridges.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,356
Messages
1,574,060
Members
169,894
Latest member
PenneyMora
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top