Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Only being able to shoot from prone would stop me from being able to shoot but in their situation I can see how it works.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Switzerland has always been the "poster child" for firearms ownership. It is simple, all males receive Military Training. Once their Military Obligation has been fulfilled they become a reservist. The younger reservists are required to keep a fully automatic rifle at home. At some point in time they get downgraded to a semi-automatic. These rifles routinely get used for civilian competition. One has to wonder why it works only for the Swiss!!

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
Road is about the one third from the benches of the range.

1k range.jpg

Newboomer

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
Switzerland has always been the "poster child" for firearms ownership. It is simple, all males receive Military Training. Once their Military Obligation has been fulfilled they become a reservist. The younger reservists are required to keep a fully automatic rifle at home. At some point in time they get downgraded to a semi-automatic. These rifles routinely get used for civilian competition. One has to wonder why it works only for the Swiss!!
Maybe Switzerland is not overrun with dumbass politicians who know nothing about firearms?

Bob Nelson 35Whelen

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
That got your attention?

@Pheroze
I love it BUT in Australia we have dickheads governing our ranges.
The range I use is only a 200 metre and has an 8mm caliber limit.
U can use larger calibers but it is with cast projectiles only. You can a n use full power 300 win mag or 8mm rem mag but if you want to fire a 44mag or God forbid a 45-70 then it must be with lead projectiles.
The reason by the bookends is you need a more adequate backstop.
Our backstop is a 500 foot high hill that is part of a chain of hills miles long. Even a 105 howitzer wouldn't affect the hill.
To circumvent this stupidity what some people do is have 10 round loaded with cast projectiles that sit on the bench for good looks and use the full house hunting loads in their pockets. When asked what they are using point to the ones on the bench and off they go none the wiser.
Yes they know what you are doing but turn a blind eye because of the beaurocratic stupidity.
Bob

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
I used to hunt grouse and woodcock on CFB Gagetown extensively. Their blue mountain artillery range fires right over a busy public highway. No way anyone on the highway is aware of it, but it is pretty humorous.

Last edited:

BWH

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
Hunted
USA, Mexico, RSA
I can’t imagine that would be logical or legal….. regardless how safe & proficient your shooters are….. still not wise at all.

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Does it run in a valley?
Yes. Somewhat OT but in Pennsylvania, it's also legal to shoot game over a road if sufficient clearance and all other safety factors taken in to consideration.

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
I used to hunt grouse and woodcock on CFB Gagetown extensively. Their blue mountain artillery range fires right over a busy public highway. No way anyone on the highway is aware of it, but it is pretty humorous.
Working on the locks at Pedro Miguel, we heard artillery shells buzzing over our heads and watched them land on a adjacent hillside filled with junk vehicles. Made for an interesting day at work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
recesiy628

Latest profile posts

Clifford Johnson wrote on Mark A Ouellette's profile.
Mark, How did your hunt go with Wayne in Zimbabwe?
Cliff
Spartan2473 wrote on tnshooter's profile.
Hey buddy,
Have a great hunt in West TN. Looking forward to planning this next safari with you.

we’ll talk soon!
Hello thanks for acceptance to the group, I live on baffin island. Anyone ever hunt in the Arctic?
Defosse wrote on Kouprey's profile.
Hello Kouprey,

I'm the little little son of Louis Defosse and i'm living in Saigon VIetnam. I'm trying to find some information about ma family and i saw your post where you wrote the Defosse family. Please i'm really interested to know more and share all your information about my family. I tried to find some in Vietnam but very difficult. Please i will be happy to read you soon.

Regards,

Stéphane Defosse