Rifle range that shoots over a highway

Switzerland has always been the "poster child" for firearms ownership. It is simple, all males receive Military Training. Once their Military Obligation has been fulfilled they become a reservist. The younger reservists are required to keep a fully automatic rifle at home. At some point in time they get downgraded to a semi-automatic. These rifles routinely get used for civilian competition. One has to wonder why it works only for the Swiss!!

Road is about the one third from the benches of the range.

1k range.jpg

Switzerland has always been the "poster child" for firearms ownership. It is simple, all males receive Military Training. Once their Military Obligation has been fulfilled they become a reservist. The younger reservists are required to keep a fully automatic rifle at home. At some point in time they get downgraded to a semi-automatic. These rifles routinely get used for civilian competition. One has to wonder why it works only for the Swiss!!
Maybe Switzerland is not overrun with dumbass politicians who know nothing about firearms?

That got your attention?

@Pheroze
I love it BUT in Australia we have dickheads governing our ranges.
The range I use is only a 200 metre and has an 8mm caliber limit.
U can use larger calibers but it is with cast projectiles only. You can a n use full power 300 win mag or 8mm rem mag but if you want to fire a 44mag or God forbid a 45-70 then it must be with lead projectiles.
The reason by the bookends is you need a more adequate backstop.
Our backstop is a 500 foot high hill that is part of a chain of hills miles long. Even a 105 howitzer wouldn't affect the hill.
To circumvent this stupidity what some people do is have 10 round loaded with cast projectiles that sit on the bench for good looks and use the full house hunting loads in their pockets. When asked what they are using point to the ones on the bench and off they go none the wiser.
Yes they know what you are doing but turn a blind eye because of the beaurocratic stupidity.
Bob

I used to hunt grouse and woodcock on CFB Gagetown extensively. Their blue mountain artillery range fires right over a busy public highway. No way anyone on the highway is aware of it, but it is pretty humorous.

Last edited:
I can’t imagine that would be logical or legal….. regardless how safe & proficient your shooters are….. still not wise at all.

Does it run in a valley?
Yes. Somewhat OT but in Pennsylvania, it's also legal to shoot game over a road if sufficient clearance and all other safety factors taken in to consideration.

I used to hunt grouse and woodcock on CFB Gagetown extensively. Their blue mountain artillery range fires right over a busy public highway. No way anyone on the highway is aware of it, but it is pretty humorous.
Working on the locks at Pedro Miguel, we heard artillery shells buzzing over our heads and watched them land on a adjacent hillside filled with junk vehicles. Made for an interesting day at work.

Watching the video, its a pretty kool and simple little range! Great electronics that score your hits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg