Remington Model 30 Express

That action is a good one! Yes, the Rem 30 is based on the US M 1917. Today I looked at several bolt rifles. Being able to handle several at the same time is an excellent tool for comparison. Brnos, CZs, Wins, Sakos, Rems, various Mausers including mil and commercial, Weatherbys and so on in calibers from 22 CF to 460 Weatherby. Of all I handled and cycled, a sporterized M 1917 was the most impressive. So if so inclined I’d say try it.
@fourfive8
A picture of my M17 modified to Remington 30s with Boyd pepper laminate stock in 35 Whelen AI. Instead of straightening the dog leg bolt I left it as is. The same as the Remington Mohawk. The other one is an unmodified P14 action with the guppy belly stock instead of the 30s flat stock
Bob
20200131_113934.jpg
 
It uses an Enfield 1917 action . Same as my custom made .458 WM ( Winchester Magnum ) .
3FA43CFC-0ACA-4C31-8E5B-666D59132975.jpeg


Extremely strong robust action . Built like tanks . Does yours use the standard military floor plate release , as well ? Or does it use a hinged floor plate ?
 
It uses an Enfield 1917 action . Same as my custom made .458 WM ( Winchester Magnum ) .
View attachment 364866

Extremely strong robust action . Built like tanks . Does yours use the standard military floor plate release , as well ? Or does it use a hinged floor plate ?
@Professor Malwa
Both mine use the military floor plate release, no chance of losing cartridges that way.
Bob
 
@Professor Malwa
Both mine use the military floor plate release, no chance of losing cartridges that way.
Bob
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
I absolutely love what you have done to your .35 Whelen . Your taste is very similar to mine . Mine uses the military floor plate release , as well . Are Enfield 1917 actions still common in your part of Australia ? Last time I hunted water buffalo in Australia ( 2018 ) , I had a local friend remark how rare the Enfield 1917 actions have recently become . I will not be parting with my Enfield 1917 action .458 WM for all the money in the world .
 
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
I absolutely love what you have done to your .35 Whelen . Your taste is very similar to mine . Mine uses the military floor plate release , as well . Are Enfield 1917 actions still common in your part of Australia ? Last time I hunted water buffalo in Australia ( 2018 ) , I had a local friend remark how rare the Enfield 1917 actions have recently become . I will not be parting with my Enfield 1917 action .458 WM for all the money in the world .
@Professor Malwa
M17's and P14s are becoming harder to get and as starting to bring good money. In original military guise they are commanding a premium.
Both of mine kept the cock on closing, it is far quicker to operate than cock on opening. Both mine also have Timney triggers set at 2 pounds. Both are superbly accurate as well. The 35 Whelen groups less than an inch at 100yards and my own design 25 caliber shoots 0.4 inch groups at 100 yards all day.
The Whelen has an air gauged Douglas competition barrel and the 25 has a Llijla match grade barrel.
If they were to make M17 actions today the cost would be astronomical.
Trimmed down they make a beautiful custom rifle that is stronger than the 98 mausers and can be made into magnum length action very easily.
Just my thoughts on that wonderful action.
Bob
Keep writing your stories they are excellent reading
 
love the REm 30 and 30-S, I like that big ugly hammer safety, as you never have a problem finding it when your looking at a Lion, Buffalo or whatever looking for you when the hunter becomes the hunted.. Ive built a number of them on various big caliber up to the 505 Gibs Imp..As to the stock its of very decent design and points well, they can be glassed, cross bolted, refinished and checkered, Ive done a few of those for myself to haul off to Africa many times knowing I would lose a Holland and Holland to the airlines that in Africa can screw up an anvil with a powder puff..
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,306
Messages
1,572,341
Members
169,527
Latest member
Grousehunter
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top