Remington 700 Dangerous game build?

Superman is more powerful than Captain Marvel!

As a kid (I am in my late 40's) I used to see left handed big bores all the time. As guys didn't have a lot of options and they would convert whatever they could get. This is a well written about concept as Boddington has said it many times among other lefties and to me it is funny. 700's, Savages and Weatherby Mark Vs were the only left handed guns up until about 20 years ago.

I am left eye dominant. But totally right handed.

Kesselrings gun shop in Washington used to have a huge selection of Mark V's, and custom Left handed rifles and I considered for a while buying one because of the deal they represented.

You could never find a right handed dangerous game rifle that nice for the same money.

To me it is a comical argument.

A lot of guys think you have to have a Duane Wiebe (sorry to name drop Duane) custom 98 that feeds perfectly to hunt dangerous game.

99.99% of the rifles available in a dangerous game cartridge from 375-700NE will work just fine, regardless of the action they are shoved into.

Entertaining; we've now reached 6 pages and over 100 posts without single reply from the OP. I think he/she hit his/her target.

Best regards,
I think he's been traumatized and probably left this forum? Ha! Ha!

"Winchester Hunt Movie" "Winchester goes to Africa, starring PH David Ommaney". Introduces the NEW 1964 Winchester M70 PUSH FEED African Safari rifle, which Ommaney ultimately says, "It's smashing!" Must all be true? LOL The movie is here on AH. It's entertaining.

Last edited:
"Winchester Hunt Movie" "Winchester goes to Africa, starring PH David Ommaney". Introduces the NEW 1964 Winchester M70 PUSH FEED African Safari rifle, which Ommaney ultimately says, "It's smashing!" Must all be true? LOL The movie is here on AH.
Yet behind the cameras, his battery consisted of:
i) A 1912 made John Rigby & Co. Sidelock Ejector in .470 Nitro Express
ii) A PRE ‘64 Winchester Model 70 in .300 Winchester Magnum
iii) A PRE ‘64 Winchester Model 70 in .30-06 Springfield
iv) A PRE ‘64 Winchester Model 70 in .264 Winchester Magnum
v) A W.W. Greener Empire 12 Gauge ( 3 “ English Magnum ) Boxlock Ejector

He also had THIS to say about his favorite rifle action.

82674DFC-9049-4292-A733-85F88F17E4E4.jpeg
3084ED7A-00B5-4131-B1EE-F1F7EF775A83.jpeg

Never believe what a man is paid to tell you.

Yet behind the cameras, his battery consisted of:
i) A 1912 made John Rigby & Co. Sidelock Ejector in .470 Nitro Express
ii) A PRE ‘64 Winchester Model 70 in .300 Winchester Magnum
iii) A PRE ‘64 Winchester Model 70 in .30-06 Springfield
iv) A PRE ‘64 Winchester Model 70 in .264 Winchester Magnum
v) A W.W. Greener Empire 12 Gauge ( 3 “ English Magnum ) Boxlock Ejector

He also had THIS to say about his favorite rifle action.

View attachment 448966View attachment 448967

Never believe what a man is paid to tell you.
VERY interesting! Thanks for sharing the "And now, for the rest of the story" narrative. I'm sure Winchester paid Ommaney "handsomely" for his "endorsement" of the NEW Winchester M70!

@CoElkHunter
Having used both the Whelen and the AI I have come to the conclusion that the amount of time spent making case and reloading the AI version would have been better spent learning to load the standard Whelen to its FULL potential.
Bob
"the amount of time spent making the case"? As with ANY AI chambered rifle, you shoot the parent cartridge in the AI chambered rifle and "wala", you have a fire formed AI case! One pull of the trigger Bob? Takes no time at all for most of us. Ha! Ha! Ha!

David Ommanney became a PH in 1958. 6 years later the post-'64 push-feed Winchester was introduced.

Imagine what it would be like qualifying as a PH with a pre-'64 rifle and how you would feel about the (new kid on the block) push-feed. I believe it's safe to say the check from Winchester was sizable.

People who were not born BEFORE 1964 have a distain for these push-feed actions. The reaction from the buying public was so strong they had to go back to CRF in 1991. David Ommanney had his preferences, even if he didn't tell the truth in all the magazines.

David Ommanney became a PH in 1958. 6 years later the post-'64 push-feed Winchester was introduced.

Imagine what it would be like qualifying as a PH with a pre-'64 rifle and how you would feel about the (new kid on the block) push-feed. I believe it's safe to say the check from Winchester was sizable.

People who were not born BEFORE 1964 have a distain for these push-feed actions. The reaction from the buying public was so strong they had to go back to CRF in 1991. David Ommanney had his preferences, even if he didn't tell the truth in all the magazines.
Yes, I'm sure Ommaney was laughing internally when filming this movie and all the way to the bank. Winchester blew it and Remington COULD have stepped in with a CRF design for their new 700 for .375 and up and the rest would have been history. Then Winchester blew it in again the early '70s, when the .416 Taylor was wildcatted and then SAAMI approved. Both Ruger and Winchester each made a prototype rifle and Winchester failed to follow through with factory ammunition. The .416 Remington Magnum probably wouldn't have seen the light of day if Winchester had produced factory ammo for the Taylor? Who the hell was running these companies back in the day? I guess accountants?

Last edited:
I didn’t even read all the usual shit about the 700 BAD, Terrible choice, blah, blah, blah! I own close a 700 in everything it has ever been chambered in(over 50) and have yet to have a failure in one of them. Build your damn rifle and go hunt with it! I’m quite sure most of the catastrophic failures you will read about are something someone heard about! A lot like glocks, I own 20 something of them and haven’t experienced one of the “typical” problems! Does the extraction system of a 700 fall short of a CRF system? Yes. Does CRF feed better? In theory using bullets that look like they wouldn’t feed a friggin cow, yes! Know your rifle, maintain it properly and take it hunting for Christ sakes!

I didn’t even read all the usual shit about the 700 BAD, Terrible choice, blah, blah, blah! I own close a 700 in everything it has ever been chambered in(over 50) and have yet to have a failure in one of them. Build your damn rifle and go hunt with it! I’m quite sure most of the catastrophic failures you will read about are something someone heard about! A lot like glocks, I own 20 something of them and haven’t experienced one of the “typical” problems! Does the extraction system of a 700 fall short of a CRF system? Yes. Does CRF feed better? In theory using bullets that look like they wouldn’t feed a friggin cow, yes! Know your rifle, maintain it properly and take it hunting for Christ sakes!
Cody, let me get you a drink...

The US army used Rem 700 from 1968 to present, as sniper rifles. with no change to the extractor ! keep it clean & no brass shavings under it & its not a problem, it was a great action until poor quality control with last owner ruined it, good for varmint & target rifle builds , my choice for a Dangerous game rifle build at an affordable price would be a Ruger 77 Hawkeye no mods required just a little polishing up. A lot or Rem 700 critics do not own one & read too much bull shit!

Last edited:
+1 for Glocks! The "typical" problems are when some jackass starts putting aftermarket parts in them without knowing what they're doing! I only have six FACTORY Glocks with only aftermarket night sights, but they ALL have functioned flawlessly ALL of the time. I (actually my sons) have two Remington 700s in a heavy barrel .22-250 and .300WM, and they have never failed to feed or function correctly. Small sample of both, but multiply those by the thousands ever made with no/few complaints and the FTF is a fraction of a percent.

As much as I love Winchester model 70 control round fed actions I have to admit the only rifle that ever jammed on me in the field was a Winchester model 70 Safari Express in 375 H&H! The round picked up out of the magazine and lodged in the extractor cut jamming the rifle! Was it a freak incident probably, but it did happen!

+1 for Glocks! The "typical" problems are when some jackass starts putting aftermarket parts in them without knowing what they're doing! I only have six FACTORY Glocks with only aftermarket night sights, but they ALL have functioned flawlessly ALL of the time. I (actually my sons) have two Remington 700s in a heavy barrel .22-250 and .300WM, and they have never failed to feed or function correctly. Small sample of both, but multiply those by the thousands ever made with no/few complaints and the FTF is a fraction of a percent.
Yep! The only Glock malfunctions I've ever heard of were user induced. Either trying to trick them out with aftermarket junk or feeding them crappy reloads. The only thing I ever added to mine were three little pots of tritium every 3-4 years. :)

I've had two Rem 721s, a few Rem 700s and a 600 over the years. Really not DG rifles at all. Pretty easy to blueprint and make accurate, but NOT DG rifle material. All the 700s went down the road to happy shooters who liked little groups on paper. The only Remington extractor I've ever had shoot craps was on a 721. The cheesy little ring with a nub extractor thingy broke. Replaced with a Sako style extractor. That certainly fixed the extraction issue but the ejected carts would hit the scope tube. No way to lower the ejection angle without changing the ejector plunger location in the bolt face.... enough for me. I've kept one Rem- the M 600 in 222. Great little coyote gun.

Last edited:
Arguments like this make me think of how much the 358 Norma Schultz and Larsens are lusted after in the Yukon by people that hunt bears, moose and bison.

Cult rifle of the Yukon.

Push feed as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg