Remington 700 BDL Questions

Only half my rant posted. Apologies to all. I assure you , it was good.

Ac

tu I have a 700 in 300 WM. It was my first. I’ve killed everything Alaska, not Africa, has to offer with that rifle/caliber combo.
Until you can say the same, respectfully, don’t assume. I prefer controlled round actions as well. But unless I’m facing an enraged costal brown, I’m happy with the 700 platform.
And by the way I’ve taken several grizzly bears with the 700 in 300 mag.
Also I have a fair assortment of real
life dangerous game rifles as well.
Oh one other note. I’ve been hand loading since Christ was a corporal. So once again, don’t assume.
half my

Actually I have a 700 in 300 WM. It was my first. I’ve killed everything Alaska, not Africa, has to offer with that rifle/caliber combo.

And by the way I’ve taken several grizzly bears with the 700 in 300 mag.
Also I have a fair assortment of real
life dangerous game rifles as well.
Oh one other note. I’ve been hand loading since Christ was a corporal.
Pilgrim sure can skin grizz!
And the reason we led with the cop /soldier stuff instead of hunter/reloader bonafides was...??
If only we had known you had a .300 WM and were so adroit with it...Hatchet Jack would never have frozen to death.

Oh haha
I thought this was a professional forum.
All I was saying is don’t assume.
I’m sure you are a world class killer. A body count that a mortal hunter, soldier, cop, couldn’t possibly comprehend.
I led with that because we depend on the accuracy And dependability. The 700 is a good platform.
You should think about your comments before making them.

Pilgrim sure can skin grizz!
And the reason we led with the cop /soldier stuff instead of hunter/reloader bonafides was...??
If only we had known you had a .300 WM and were so adroit with it...Hatchet Jack would never have frozen to death.
hah

Oh haha
I thought this was a professional forum.
All I was saying is don’t assume.
I’m sure you are a world class killer. A body count that a mortal hunter, soldier, cop, couldn’t possibly comprehend.
I led with that because we depend on the accuracy And dependability. The 700 is a good platform.
You should think about your comments before making them.

hah
Oh my Military MOS? 18D
Now go away

Oh my Military MOS? 18D
Now go away

Had a buddy in 18D. His stories of training were intense, let alone his deployments. He now is at the next level running around the globe.

Your opinions and input certainly get my attention.

It will be OKAY for plains game. But don't even THINK about going after dangerous game with it.
1) It's a pushfeed.
2) Remingtons jam
3) Bolt handles have been known to break.
4) They became famous in the past for going off on their own. I was in High School when stories of this started circulating.

you forgot to mention that its a 30-06 and not legal

I purchased a copy of "African Dangerous Game Cartridges" by Pierre van der Walt a few months ago and was leafing through the book this evening. Chapter Two is entitled "Dangerous Game Rifles." On page 25, there is a section labeled "Extractor Design and Feeding."

"Much has been made by many of the so-called Mauser type claw extractor and controlled round feeding found on the Mauser, CZ/Brno, Springfield, Enfield and pre '64 Winchester M-70. From a purely mechanical reliability perspective its advantages are overrated."
Mr. van der Walt goes on to say the problem isn't the extractor, it's the operator.

I have two Remingtons: A 700 (270) and 721 (30-06) and neither have given me a bit of trouble. However, neither are DG calibers.

I purchased a copy of "African Dangerous Game Cartridges" by Pierre van der Walt a few months ago and was leafing through the book this evening. Chapter Two is entitled "Dangerous Game Rifles." On page 25, there is a section labeled "Extractor Design and Feeding."

"Much has been made by many of the so-called Mauser type claw extractor and controlled round feeding found on the Mauser, CZ/Brno, Springfield, Enfield and pre '64 Winchester M-70. From a purely mechanical reliability perspective its advantages are overrated."
Mr. van der Walt goes on to say the problem isn't the extractor, it's the operator.

I have two Remingtons: A 700 (270) and 721 (30-06) and neither have given me a bit of trouble. However, neither are DG calibers.
All that is well and good.
However , it is my philosophy that a good dangerous game rifle should not be one which is reliable in the best of situations. It is one which is reliable in the worst situations . Pushfeed rifles are fine if you're shooting something which you are not worried about harming you. But when you are facing a large , fast charging animal , you've got a potential problem on your hands. A very unfortunate example of this is a favorite PH of mine , named Ian Gibson. He got killed by a Bull Elephant when his Pushfeed .458 Winchester Magnum Model 70 jammed . Now , Ian was an EXPERT with that rifle. Over 600 Elephant were taken with that rifle. Then one day , that very rifle cost him his life.
If it can happen to a legend like him , it can happen to us too. Finn Aagaard was the BIGGEST fan of the Pushfeed .458 Winchester Magnum Winchester Model 70 . However , even he admitted that it was VERY EASY for the rifles to jam if even the slightest bit of dirt got into them. In Africa ( or ANY forest , but ESPECIALLY AFRICA ) , can you imagine how easy it would be for dirt or grit to get in ?
It's also interesting how you referred Pierre's book . I JUST GOT MY COPY LAST WEEK :D. I bought it primarily to get information about the 11.2 × 72 Schuler caliber. It should be borne in mind that The instances which Pierre references about Pushfeed rifles being used on DG , are all client hunters who had PHs backing them up with CRF rifles to stop a charging animal. I don't believe that he ever mentions them being used in charge situations . Pierre is a great writer :D .
P.S : I have a PDF of a Gentleman in 1962 who used a Weatherby Mark V Pushfeed rifle in .300 Weatherby Magnum to kill EVERY animal up to African Elephant in " Excellent Circumstances" . Then , he quickly learnt his lesson during a Cape Buffalo charge. Luckily, he and his PH walked away unscathed. If you're interested, l can inbox you :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaylaHoola

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!