Remington 405 grain jacketed soft point

Quaticman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
Remington B22899 45-70 405 gr SP Bullets.jpg

Has anyone tried these in a .458 Win Mag? I have used them in my 1895 Marlin chambered .45/70 with a healthy dose of IMR 3031. Seems like they would make for an inexpensive "plinking load" in the Win Mag.

View attachment 318350

Has anyone tried these in a .458 Win Mag? I have used them in my 1895 Marlin chambered .45/70 with a healthy dose of IMR 3031. Seems like they would make for an inexpensive "plinking load" in the Win Mag.
Nope. But I’ll try almost anything once. I don’t see why they wouldn’t work for a plinking round? I have some Speer 350gr Hot Cores I’m loading now, but if the price was right for those bullets I’d try them?

If you guys like a plinking load you should try 15 grains of trail boss behind a 405 grain lead bullet. It goes off like a pop gun.
Will it clear the barrel? Ha! Ha!

full power loads would be like varmint bullets.
bruce.
Speaking of varmint loads for the .458 WM, I’ve seen “frangible” bullets available on Midway USA in .458. Can you imagine hitting a prairie dog mound with one of those bullets?

About 1100 FPS if I recall. It’s made specifically for lead bullets. It takes up so much space they only 9oz in a standard 1lb bottle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sander.kvern

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH