Reloading records ledger

Mctrigger

AH member
Reaction score
Media
I’ve been keeping records of my reloading data in a lined ledger book. But as I add more rifles to my collection and new loads to existing rifles I need a better system. I’m thinking a mini 3 ring binder is ideal. I’d like to keep targets from good loads as well. Should be able to store those in clear paper covers I think. Looking for any advice so I can rewrite all my old ledger book into a new system. What do you guys use? Any preferred pre defined reloading data sheets worth printing off to fill in?

Back when I got my first computer and discovered Word I made up a couple hundred pages of columns on the pages and printed them off. I then punched them out for a 3 ring binder and set up a tab for each firearm and cartridge that I was loading for. Then I transcribed all of my favorite loading's onto these pages. So in essence I have a custom page for my load data.

I haven't started saving targets but it would be quite simple but you would have to fold them into a shape that would fit into the binder. But the accuracy report is already in the load data so I really don't need the targets to verify.

Now I can find what load I am looking for in a matter of seconds instead of going through a couple of paper notebooks looking for what I want. It also helps now in that I am pretty much down to just a few loading's for each cartridge and rifle.

Also in this binder I have the instructions for my RCBS Chargemaster powder dump and scale along with any other instructions that I need that go with my loading equipment.

I use the Handloaders log, by MCM. It came with forms for your info, and record keeping and several different types of targets. Picked it up at Sportsman warehouse

I have sheets on my phone works good for my current loads. But as a hard record I’d like to have separate. The data shows good loads but targets are nice to keep for the real good ones. Better to see than to tell about it. Haha. Although printing sheets off and running them through a hole punch ain’t a bad idea. I do like the handloaders log. Lots I’ve gooogled are far too advanced. More information than what I’m after.

might just custom one up for my needs on a computer and print a bunch out.

I take pix of the targets with my phone and store them in my picture file on my laptop-can print them off and put them on hard copy if desired and could be cut down to fit in a binder either punch holes in them or put them in a plastic sleeve-could laminate them if you are really serious-

Currently I use a speadsheet (Numbers) on my Ipad. I keep photos of loads also on my Ipad.
Most rifles have a word processor article (Pages) on them with pics of best loads and targets.
There’s so many options today. Before starting to use a computer, I used lab books where I would staple or glue in folded targets and write down all testing info since it’s pretty much just another experiment.

Good luck finding what works for you!

I’ve been keeping records of my reloading data in a lined ledger book. But as I add more rifles to my collection and new loads to existing rifles I need a better system. I’m thinking a mini 3 ring binder is ideal. I’d like to keep targets from good loads as well. Should be able to store those in clear paper covers I think. Looking for any advice so I can rewrite all my old ledger book into a new system. What do you guys use? Any preferred pre defined reloading data sheets worth printing off to fill in?
@Mctrigger
I'm an old technophobe bot my wife pot me onto excel spreadsheets. That way I can list every thing I need on it including chronoed velocity, group size and all the load data.
I do this for every caliber I have.
If I need a hard copy at anytime I c a n just print it up.
Bob

I do both. I keep a handwritten journal and then copy that into a file on my computer.

What has worked for me over the years is a three ring binder with dividers for each rifle. When I load test rounds I write a crack and peel label for each load with all data on it. This is rubber banded to the loads. At the bench I shoot each load (three or five shots) and attach the label to the target. The target gets three ring punched and fitted into the binder in the appropriate section, preceded by a detailed sheet with all load data, dates, weather conditions, notes, and comments on performance.

Over time the binder becomes a valuable resource.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!