Reloading questions for 416 Ruger

Muskox man

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I have a 416 Ruger and want to load some 400GRN Barnes TSX. I can't seem to find any published load data for this combo. Any help would be most appreciated.

My load, testet in Munich proof house, which might be an indication for you:

400gr A-Frame
72 gr Hodgdon CFE223
OAL: 84,5mm
Hornady brass with RWS magnum primers
measured pressure 3840 bar average
measured v0: 690 m/s

I used last year in Zimbabwe 74gr CFE223 and measured with my Magnetospeed 710 m/s

You can find load data in the Nosler, Hornady and Swift manuals. In this, I'm referring to their load development with their bullets. I began with starting loads and worked up from there. I didn't have a COAL for the .416 Ruger, but I did for the .375 Ruger. In my rifle, Power Pro 2000-MR with the 400-grain TSX proved to be the most accurate. I was shocked when I shot a 3/4" group with the BBS. I hope this helps.

Be careful with loading .416 Barnes based on other loads. Barnes TSX are copper, so they are typically longer than a lead bullet to get the same weight. A lot of TSX loads are compressed, especially in the Ruger case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pavingcotswold

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg