reloading 8x68S

alberto

New member
Joined
Apr 21, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Member of
federcaccia
hi guys
I just bought a Steyr "S" model carbine 8x68 caliber.
I'm looking for suggestion about cartrige reloading with vihtavuori N160 powder and Barnex TSX 200gr bullets.

many thanks
 
Hello Alberto!
You made great choice by choosing 8x68S, no matter what U hunt! I personally shot just one Kudu with Steyer 8x68S using my hand load but friend of mine took 2 more kudus plus a lot of plain game in my presence. If U want to hunt in Africa with this, Barnes is great choice (we used Nosler 200 grs – this thing broken everything in all 3 kudus but no exit wound on any of them). On the other hand we shot a lot of elk, boars even couple of bears – always with exit wound. Bottom line is that I’ll use Nosler as one of the best choices for hunt in Europe but for Africa use something harder which can provide deeper penetration.
My hand load is:
Bullet: Nosler Partition 200 grs; N-160, 71 grs: OAL=88mm; Vo=877m/s; Eo=5000J
For velocity test I used mine R-93 (650mm with Magnaport, so consider bar. length as 620mm) but cartridges were made for Steyer. My friend tested ammo at 118m (don’t ask me why he choose that distance) and he got one hole group with 2 rounds.
Since Barnes should be longer bullet, you must have lower starting loads. If U insists on Barnes, let me check with my Pro-Load software what will be the best charge.
You should try N-560 also.
I hope it helps,
S.H.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,273
Messages
1,571,258
Members
169,317
Latest member
BrigetteY2
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top