Red stag hunting in Scotland

Discussion in 'Hunting Europe' started by JMV375, Dec 15, 2018.

1. JMV375

JMV375 AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Anybody have any experience with "West Highland Hunting" ?

Or any other recommendations for free range stag hunt in Scotland ?

Would like to make it a hunt /vacation trip for the family.

Thanks
    JMV375

Lefty Hunter likes this.

2. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    Don’t know the outfit you refer to.
    There are so many options it feels overwhelming.

3. wesheltonj

wesheltonj AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Benefactor-Life NRA, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    I have met the owner at DSC and have looked at them too. I can tell you that they are one the six Leica Lodges worldwide and belong to Magic Safari Lodges marketing group, which are all very high end lodges. Use their stuff it's all Leica. The Stags all look small me conspired to else where in Europe, but the price is right. IF you are looking for a monster, better look at New Zealand.

johnnyblues likes this.

4. MarkCZ

MarkCZ AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Finland, Estonia, C.Z. Poland, Slovakia, Scotland , England, Namibia
    We always hunt (stalk) stags with Winston Churchill Venison. He is based just outside Dunoon. Stunning scenery excellent value for money. All the stalkers are very good at their jobs. We don't go anywhere else. You must be fit. Markcz

SAM_1991.JPG SAM_1984.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2018

5. MarkCZ

MarkCZ AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Finland, Estonia, C.Z. Poland, Slovakia, Scotland , England, Namibia
    The stags in Scotland are smaller because it tough terrain. Believe me when you grass a stag in Scotland you have really ernt it.
    Markcz

6. Rimbaud

Rimbaud AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    England, Hungary, United States, Scotland, Namibia
    We hunted on private land. You can find many different outfitters/guides so be sure to check on their bona fides. We paid 500 pounds/animal, or about $650 USD. Be sure to ask if the stalk is a classic highland stalk across wide open spaces, or through a forest. I did the latter, and while I was initially disappointed to not hunt the wide-open highlands, the disappointment disappeared the moment we began to move through the forest. You will see large stags, sika, roe. Incredible hunt. Be sure to wear good boots, and carry a possibles kit. The sun went down on us after we shot a Sika stag across a valley, and over a river. By the time we got the stag to the other side, and began the walk out, the moon went down and it was pitch black, and the guide could not figure out how to get back to the truck, but that is another story. Scotland is incredible and the chance to hunt there is not to be missed. If you can, also take part in a driven bird shoot.

ianevans and MarkCZ like this.

7. ianevans

ianevans AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    zambia, SA, sweden ,USA ,Scotland
    Hi I have had a look at the WHH website and they are all proper Scottish stalking estates where you will experience highland stalking at its best . try and book in early october to experience the rut . pm me and i will give you some other contact's.
    cheers
    Ian

8. Nick Jackson

Nick Jackson AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    British Deer Society, British Association of Shooting & Conservation
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    West Highland Hunting have a very good reputation in the UK. The Head Stalker (PH) Niall (pronounced Neil) Rowantree is a well renowned expert on red deer, see the likes of

Most red deer stalking in Scotland let is on free range and on the open hill. WHH happen to have a deer park (a rarity) but just confirm you want to stalk the 'open hill' with them, this is open moorland in the mountains.
    The stag quality on 'the hill' is not as good as forest stags or those from forested areas in other parts of Europe as the feed on the open hill is poorer.
    Also, be aware, here in Scotland we cull bad heads as a rule, we take a few very old trophy heads. WHH have some of the biggest wild stags in Scotland mainly because Ardnamurchan sits on a penninsular and thus the warm Gulf stream waters surrounding 3 sides of it ensure it gets a longer grass growing season than most places in the country.
    Most Highland estates offer stalking but get booked up so look to book now for the rut (end of Sept until end of season 20th October.) An agent who has been operating in the Highlands longer than anyone is http://www.kiltarlity.com/ who can arrange driven or walked up bird shooting too.
    Alternatively you can opt to book direct with an estate such as https://www.alvie-estate.co.uk/ or http://www.achnacarrycountry.co.uk/stalking.html
    Breathable waterproofs are advised but it can still be warm in October so a shell layer can be carried in a bag with your 'piece' (lunch.) 10x binoculars are advised. All estates offer a borrow or 'estate rifle' - otherwise popular calibres include 6.5x55, .270, 7x57, .308. Average ranges are around 150 yards and less in the rut.
    Good luck!
    Nick

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2018

9. Alan Rose

Alan Rose AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Scotland is full of Red deer.
    Some stunning areas.

Don't just pick one Estate and think that'd where you are goin?

You need to choose what you want to shoot.
    Cull or trophy.

Most Scottish estate are cull stags.
    Ie old stags or stags that they don't want there DNA in the herd. Like small frame or back antlers.
    Every stag is different.

Also pick for your ability to walk.
    You might as well enjoy it so don't bust your ass and hate the experience.

Remember there are different seasons for different breeds of deer
    Pm me if you need a hand. I am happy to help.

IMG-20190117-WA0034.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2019
    9.3x57 Freak likes this.

10. johnnyblues

johnnyblues AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
    Bottom line if your not looking for a trophy stag go have fun, some good recommendations here.

11. Piet-Skiet

Piet-Skiet AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SA hunters and game conservation association
    Hunted:
    South africa Namibia
    My dream is a reg stag in the highand amd afterwords sit and enjoy a class of glenfidich watching the northern lights....one day even I have grown up