Recommend a Gunsmith For Basic Work On a Big Bore?

matt85

AH legend
Joined
Jan 7, 2014
Messages
3,651
Reaction score
4,877
Location
WA, USA
Media
30
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
I need a gunsmith to do some basic work a large bore (585 HE) rifle. at the moment I just need the barrel to be recrowned, the action to be bedded, and maybe some more weight added to the butt.

a local smith can do the bedding easy enough and I could probably add the weight but recrowning a .585" barrel puts me at a loss.

suggestions?

thank you
-Matt
 
Hi Matt,

I have no real experience to draw on obviously but I thought I would give you this contact. Lemieux Armouiers in QB Canada seem to be very well trained European artisans. If they have the skills the upside is our dollar would be to your advantage. Not sure about getting the gun there and back over the boarder.

Anyway, thought I would just let you know in case it is of use. They do great engraving too.

Good luck
Pheroze
 
Matt,

J.J. Perodeau at Champlin Firearms.

http://www.champlinarms.com/

JJ might be overkill for this work, but it will be done right.

All the best.
 
Washington State. Ed has been on the cover of the Gun Digest as well as American Rifleman and is a CZ guru. Very knowledgeable GREAT gunsmith and custom builder. He does all my work.
 
Ed LaPour is great. I have used his safeties and a couple of his stocks.

I do not know if Jim Wisner does individual gun work now, he may be too busy with his manufacturing business. Would be worth a call. He is near Chelalis in Edna. He has done a lot of big bore work in the past.

And there is Dennis Olsen in Montana, think it is Plains. He is a big bore specialist.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,275
Messages
1,571,321
Members
169,337
Latest member
guidesbcpoker
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top