RECOIL!

Wow, I can see that my 458 Lott with an index of recoil of 1521 is very heavy, and it can move my teeth jeje. Iï½´m sorry for my bad English.

Oscar.
 
Recoil is subjective and rifle fit does make a difference. I do apreciate the time spent putting the table together as it gives a comparative idea about difference in recoil, especialy for the big ones. I also no this, I put 26 rounds threw the .375, 10 rounds threw the 416 and 15 rounds threw the .458 Lott yesterday and the first thing I did when I got out of bed this morning was swallow a hand full of tylenol.
 
Me with the biggest thing was I pushed my Ceska the 375 Holland and was tipped 270 grains. The setback though strong, I was more bearable to shoot a shotgun side by side with 36 grams cartridge.

Oscar.
 
I agree, recoil is something one has to learn how to deal with. I have found that a synthetic stock has a lot less recoil felt than the pretty wood stock. If you don't believe me I'll put the wood stock back on my model 70 - 30/06 and it hurts like heck after 3 or 4 shots. With the synthetic stock you can shoot all day with it using 150 or 180 gr loads. The same with my 375 H&H. I'm not convinced that those charts & statistics on the felt recoil is correct!!

I've heard (and experienced) the same (in my case, though, there's not enough information to go on...one rifle, two stocks, one wood and the other synthetic, but also of slightly different form).

I think the reason is time in that a synthetic stock flexes more thereby reducing the amplitude (recoil energy can be thought of as area under a curve...the area may be the same but with the time function longer, the peak amplitude is diminished...this is the entire principle behind crumple zones (and air bags) in automobiles).
 
But on the other hand, weight reduces felt recoil and syn stocks are usually lighter than wood of the same dimensions. You also have to compare the pads, if not the same, the comparison isn't valid.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,290
Messages
1,571,793
Members
169,414
Latest member
AileenA946
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top