Recoil reducers - do they work?

As far as mercury goes there is some in all computers. Are we not flying with computers anymore?

Hadnt thought about that.. but.. great point..

LCD screens all contain mercury. That includes not only laptop computers, but most smartphones including samsung and iphones.

The amount of mercury is tiny.

But it is mercury none the less.

And everyone on a plane these days has at least one of these, if not multiple phones, tablets, laptops, etc.

mdwest, you have obviously conducted some thorough research into this area, thank you for that. I was not trying to be alarmist just very cautious. (y)

Good to know about Air France, Singapore and Gulf Air company policies.

Please try NZ for a H2O Buff hunt, be interested in how you go:)

Just for info the following are extracts from Aust. Civil Aviation Safety Authority.

"A mercurial barometer or mercurial thermometer may be carried by a representative of a government weather bureau or similar official agency.

The barometer or thermometer must be packed in a strong outer packaging, having a sealed inner liner or a bag of strong leak-proof and puncture-resistant material impervious to mercury, which will prevent the escape of mercury from the package irrespective of its position.

Approval of the Operator is required and the pilot-in-command must be informed of the barometer or thermometer."

"Class 8 Corrosives - substances which, in the event of leakage, can cause severe damage by chemical action when in contact with living tissue or materially damage other freight, containers or the aircraft. Examples are Mercury, Battery acids. etc"

As you can see instruments containing mercury can only be carried by certain people under certain conditions in Aust. Also you can see that no mention is made of other items that may contain mercury, however CASA do list Mercury under their corrosive substances.

Below is the relevant legislation that applies in regards to placing a dangerous good on board a passenger aircraft and the exemptions to it.

I do add this only applies to Australia.

CRIMES (AVIATION) ACT 1991 - SECT 23
Dangerous goods--general
(1) A person must not:

(a) carry or place dangerous goods on board a Division 3 aircraft; or

(b) deliver dangerous goods to anyone else with the intention of placing the goods on board such an aircraft; or

(c) have dangerous goods in his or her possession on board such an aircraft.

Penalty: Imprisonment for 10 years.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to:

(a) anything done with the consent of the owner or operator of the aircraft given with knowledge of the nature of the goods concerned; or

(b) the carrying or placing of dangerous goods, on board an aircraft with permission granted under the Air Navigation Act 1920 or regulations made under that Act, the Aviation Transport Security Act 2004 or regulations made under that Act, or the Civil Aviation Act 1988 or regulations made under that Act;

As far as mercury goes there is some in all computers. Are we not flying with computers anymore?

Bloody good point. Wonder if the quantity or the method of sealing it has bearing on it or those who make the rules just ignore this point?

I am wondering about putting a mercury or tungsten bead recoil reducer in the stock of my fairly lightweight .375 H&H. I won't use a muzzle brake because of hearing concerns. I have read about the "kickstop" used by some German hunters, and the mercury recoil reducers sued by some American competitive trap shooters, but have no personal experience with them. Do they reduce recoil enough to be noticeable? Change the balance and handling enough to be a problem? I know I will shoot better if I get beat up a little less, but everything as a trade off. What are your thoughts?
Edwards recoil reducers work extremely well. I have many of them. I no longer use the muzzle brake on my .375 because it works so well. They actually put 2 in my .375 (sent the stock to Edwards and they did the work.). They are a spring system that reduces recoil and they get better with use. The others like mercury are really just weight and don't work as well.
Regards,
Philip

Thank you. If I ever plan a trip to Africa (I hope) and my mercury recoil reducers are an issue, I will look into the Edwards recoil reducers as a replacement.

Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tope

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!