Recoil Question 458 LOTT

@Milan my lotts have 21 and 22 inch barrels and my 500 jeff 20 inch barrel and must say i have never noticed any muzzle blast. the only time i have noticed any muzzle blast (and that was firing handguns) is firing at a range where the firing point had a roof over it.....maybe i am beyond being able to notice.....:E Crazy Eyes::E Crazy:....:E Big Grin:

Yes, could be. When I shot the Ruger the second time, it was at an indoor range with quite small shooting lanes/bays. But the blast I certainly noticed. :D

I specifically bought a Caldwell Leadsled to use with my 450 Rigby. I have the DFT model. I put a max of 75lbs (3 bags pf 25lb shot) on it when shooting the 450 & 416 Rigby's. Still moves back about 6" under fire but recoil is reduced to that of a heavy 30/06 load. Don't put anymore weight on it as the "sled" won't be able to "recoil" properly and good chance the stock will crack. I now use it for everything above 30 cal. I just reduce the weight of shot from 75lbs to 50lbs. Old shoulder can't handle as much as it used to.
I have to give a "shout out" to Caldwell customer service. They have been excellent to deal with as I had a couple of their shot bags rip on me. They sent new ones free of charge even though they were out of warranty.

Hey Matt hows that shoulder fired belt fed 577 Tyrannosaur coming along.....:ROFLMAO:

Hey Matt hows that shoulder fired belt fed 577 Tyrannosaur coming along.....:ROFLMAO:

my bolt action 585 Hubel Express is actually coming along pretty nicely. i took the gun to the range before sending it off for finishing and the recoil is easy to deal with using standard NE loads (750gr bullet at around 2000fps). i plan on bumping the speed up to around 2100-2150 but that will have to wait until the gun is properly finished.

one trick for dealing with the recoil of your rifle is to fire a bigger rifle :D. if any of you Lott guys want to make your rife feel like its got less recoil, then your more then welcome to fire some 600gr bullets from my 505 Gibbs at 2250fps. nothing like 6700 ft/lb of muzzle energy and 90 ft/lb of recoil to wake you up.

-matt

Last edited:
Har De Har Har. Actually I'm looking to possibly purchase a 505 or have a custom 577 Tyrannosaur built in the future. Maybe for kicks (pardon the pun) a 475 A&M magnum

i recommend the 585 HE over the 577 T-rex, no one makes 577 T-rex brass any more. the 585 HE is actually more powerful then the 577 T-rex and its brass is produced by Bertram. American Hunting Rifles offers very nice semi-custom rifles in 585 HE (among other calibers).

-matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SheritaFow

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you