Re-Barrel a .30-06 to ??

Great cartridge in 9.3x62! However, if one reloads, the 9.3 brass is EXPONENTIALLY more costly than the plentiful once fired '06 brass here.
Yes using once fired 30/06 brass its cheaper but you must anneal it after forming, in Aust PPU 9.3 x62 brass is cheap its good brass, also there is more factory ammo avail for the 9.3 than the35 W & you get the right head stamp & either cartridge is not one you plink with unless you are old Bob W trying to turn it into a lazer with his reloaded ammo.

I'm not lying the 338-06 is also a good choice... call it the American 318 WR with the benefit of actually finding bullets...
Yes 318 WR .330 projectiles are scarce, except for the nostalga factor, the 338 /06 is a better idea i built a 318 WR & its fun to shoot, a lot of people at the range have no idea about it. i was luckey & got about 350 Woodleigh 250 grain bullets before the fire ,also shoot 180 grain Atomic 29 copper bullets they are made in South Aust .

I'd go with a .338-06 or .35 Whelen with a REBORE. No need to open up the bolt face or mess with the magazine and you won't lose your a** on resale with a new chambered barrel. OR, I'd sell your other .30-06 and buy a REAL cartridge in .338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM and never look back! LOL
@CoElkHunter
Mate he doesn't want to get the shit beat out of him with that fire breathing bitch slapping unless 338WM. The mild mannered Whelen will do everything the 338WM will with better manners and your hat will stay on your heed when you pull the trigger.
Bob

Yes using once fired 30/06 brass its cheaper but you must anneal it after forming, in Aust PPU 9.3 x62 brass is cheap its good brass, also there is more factory ammo avail for the 9.3 than the35 W & you get the right head stamp & either cartridge is not one you plink with unless you are old Bob W trying to turn it into a lazer with his reloaded ammo.
@rdog
I just want the 35 Whelen to perform how the great Colonel and James V Howe envisioned it.
Bob

I would go 35 Whelen. There is probably more 35 Whelen knowledge on this board than the rest of the internet combined, tap into it and give it a go.
@YancyW
And I wonder what eejit put most of it up there. May have been ME
HA HA HA HA HA
Bob

9.3x62!! Norma brass is about $50 for 50 pcs right now, PPU available as well, The only factory ammo I have right now for it is Norma, but I use my reloads more than anything. 232 Norma oryx bullets all the way up to 325. Aframes in 3 weights.

With your current battery and a desire for no overlap, 338-06 is where I’d go. I say that while fully enamored with my 9.3x62 and it’s ballistic twin the 35 Whelen.

338-06 is a good choice. It is what I use and have used almost exclusively for everything up to but not including eland. At eland I go straight to 375 HH or 416 Rem.

My 338-06 started life as a CRF Win M 70 in 30-06. Added a Krieger barrel chambered in 338-06. No other mods needed. Very simple.

It is the ballistic twin of the 318 WR without all the hassle. Bullet choices are plentiful and many have already been tested in the 338 Win Mag with its much higher impact velocity. A proven 338 WM bullet with a performance track record automatically is a tough, proven bullet in the 338-06.

A tough, premium 225 gr bullet in the 338-06 using Varget at a modest velocity (and pressure :) ) is a winner from my experience.

How 'bout this: sell your other/first '06, then set up the new one in a switch-barrel 9.3X62 and the '06 again. You could take just about anything bar Ele with it.

@Fatback
Forget the 270.
300 win mag will need bolt face alterd and new mag follower.
375H&H action alterations for lenght, mag alterations and open up the bolt face.

NOW 35 WHELEN new barrel and go hunt. Devastating on game performance. Can be loaded to give 4,300fpe of muzzle energy, 2,900fps and 225gr bullet. Good for 400+ yards. Will take any plains game including eland and giraffe.
Can be loaded with bullets from 158gn for play up to 310gn for bone smashing power.
Bob
Bob, you left out the cool factor that those others will never have, not in the US anyway.

I would go with .35 Whelen, but, then again, you almost can't have too many .30/06's in the battery.

IMO, if you live in the U.S.A., you need to have the following covered with a .30/06, before considering rebarreling to another cartridge:

1. Primary hunting rifle - scoped with something like a 3-9x40
2. Back-up primary hunting rifle - scoped with something like a 3-9x40
3. Something excentric (A mannlicher-stocked Sako does it for me).
4. A "brush gun" - open sights, or a low-powered scope on QD bases and open sights, designated for shooting 220g round nosed bullets.

After you have these "basics" covered with a .30/06 (excluding, of course any semi-autos or military firearms), then consider changing cartridges.

If that barrel shoots wells, and has factory sights, PM me!

I was able to get a Ruger M77 Mark II in 30-06 today at a good price. Wood stock and blued barrel. Thing is I already have a
30-06 so I bought this rifle with the intention of possibly having it re-barreled to another caliber. I’ve got a couple of different ideas but nothing that really stands out to me and wanted to get some thoughts from some of y’all who are much more versed and experienced in such matters. I have rifles chambered in .270 win, 300 win mag, 375 H&H so take that into consideration when offering suggestions on possible re- barrel calibers. I’d primarily be using this rifle to hunt deer and pigs here at home and possibly PG in Africa. Looking forward to hearing some thoughts from y’all. Thanks.
458 African express.
Do something waaaayyyy out of normal :) :A Stirring:

Bob, you left out the cool factor that those others will never have, not in the US anyway.
@Flewis
Not only do you have the cool factor with the Whelen you have the satisfaction of knowing you have the intelligence to choose something special that works really well from up close to way out yonder.
That's why we choose the mighty Whelen not fire breathing bitch slapping magnums.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoannaHamb

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.