Range days sometimes go poorly...as in Ka Boom!

Ok just seen your pic of the 2 powders and like i said thats what happend to me, I use a lot of Vit powders and all the bottle loot the same apart from the tiny number on them. I always double then triple check

I use N320 for my pistol rounds and buy in bulk. Imagine my surprise when I was getting ready to open a new bottle and noticed that it was an N310. Powder Valley had slipped in one bottle of N310 n the bunch. Since then, I check every bottle when I receive them rather than when it is time to reload.

Yikes- glad you’re OK! Anywhere near 100k is a bunch. Says something about the strength and gas management capability of that action. Thanks for the heads up. After this I’m going to check all the labels on my powders for similarity of appearance.

I use N320 for my pistol rounds and buy in bulk. Imagine my surprise when I was getting ready to open a new bottle and noticed that it was an N310. Powder Valley had slipped in one bottle of N310 n the bunch. Since then, I check every bottle when I receive them rather than when it is time to reload.
That's a bit disconcerting.

Yikes- glad you’re OK! Anywhere near 100k is a bunch. Says something about the strength and gas management capability of that action. Thanks for the heads up. After this I’m going to check all the labels on my powders for similarity of appearance.
Yeah, so am I!

Those are the two powders I use to reload 30-06 and 404 Jeffery. Easy to see how that mistake could happen. I'm going to wrap some red duct tape around the 4895 jug.

Edit: Not the same two powders OP mixed up but IMR4350 and IMR4895 jugs are also very similar in appearance.

Last edited:
Im grateful you posted this, it is extremely important for all of us to get a reminder of how dangerous hand loading can be.

Sorry for your rifle but glad you're ok!

wow! Glad you came through that Ok. Was there anyone at the range that got to see it? If so, I bet they were shocked.
There might be a trace of a flinch coming on your next trigger pull…

And insist on following PUBLISHED data, not someone's formula. I know of a man who insisted he had been told, reliably, that with "x" powder, since it was a compressed load, just scoop the case full and good to go. His rifle looked worse than yours, with the case welded to the bolt face, and not one thing salvageable. It was a 9 lug Weatherby, I believe.
Another who should have known better decided he could reload .22 mag--don't ask me how. At the first shot the barrel went cartwheeling off the gun, toward the target. (He gave up on the idea) I don't think the barrel could have been a threaded configuration.
Super glad you still have eyes and fingers!

wow! Glad you came through that Ok. Was there anyone at the range that got to see it? If so, I bet they were shocked.
There might be a trace of a flinch coming on your next trigger pull…
Range was packed, but there are plywood partitions between benches and not a soul noticed anything weird.
I expected sirens and lights but nada.

And insist on following PUBLISHED data, not someone's formula. I know of a man who insisted he had been told, reliably, that with "x" powder, since it was a compressed load, just scoop the case full and good to go. His rifle looked worse than yours, with the case welded to the bolt face, and not one thing salvageable. It was a 9 lug Weatherby, I believe.
Another who should have known better decided he could reload .22 mag--don't ask me how. At the first shot the barrel went cartwheeling off the gun, toward the target. (He gave up on the idea) I don't think the barrel could have been a threaded configuration.
Super glad you still have eyes and fingers!
Well obviously there is no published data for what I did, LOL. Just was careless grabbing the bottle.

WOW. Glad your OK.
Bruce

Glad you are ok and although I don't reload, sharing is a good reminder to all of us. Fortunately for me, my errors are usually cutting a board three times and it's still short! ;-)

Stuff happens. I clearly remember the day I was trying so hard to fire 180 gr 30-06 rounds out of a .338. :oops:

Thank you for taking the time to post. I've been reloading like mad lately and what a great reminder to slow it down. Glad you are safe.

Glad you are ok and although I don't reload, sharing is a good reminder to all of us. Fortunately for me, my errors are usually cutting a board three times and it's still short! ;-)
I spent about 30 years in wood boat repair, that was one of our favorite jokes, usually involving a "squarehead" carpenter. "I youse cut it three times and its still too short!"

Well done for owning up. We had a similar occurence at our club last year, the shooter got a face full of molten brass. Unfortunately his eye was spattered too as he wasn’t wearing glasses. I got a pair immediately! The lesson is simple - zero error allowed. So relieved thay you are ok.

Wow - glad you're OK.

Glad you are OK and thanks for sharing. I have been reloading a bunch lately and this will help me make sure I pay attention to EVERYTHING!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiapharmafranchise

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….