Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Was at the LGS yesterday, planning to buy some R19, but then started looking around at other powders due mostly to the rising cost of Alliant powders at this store. Saw some Ramshot powders there and looked at them all and decided to give HUNTER a try. The can says its similar in burn rate to 4350 but several burn rate charts I looked at show it a bit slower, more like R19 or IMR4831.
So not looking for specific load data as not sure where I will start with it, but how do users find its burn rate to compare with others of similar range.
HUNTER was #$7.00 a can less than R19. I know its been around a while but have never tried Ramshot powder.
TIA

I do too, forgot that was Ramshot,,, but asking about Hunter powder.

Sorry, I haven’t tested any Hunter, but Ramshot Magnum does well in both my 300 WM and my 243. Somewhere I read Hunter works well in 30-06. Sorry I can’t remember the article.
Best of luck!

I shot some of this stuff today in my .338 mag and was impressed. Terrible blustery day at the range but still managed a couple of sub MOA groups with 225 Speer BT bullets. 66 and 67 grs were best. Will try it in other cals too as needed.

Please continue to report your results. I see Hunter mentioned quite a bit, but have never tried it.

Hunter gave very good accuracy and velocity with 180 gn bullets in the .30-06 and .300 H&H.
Burning speed about like IMR4831. Use magnum primers.
Poor accuracy in 220 Swift and 358 Norma.

Haven't used Hunter, but I've used Big Game and X-Terminator for 9.3x62 and 45-70, respectively. X-Terminator is an acceptable alternate to RL-7

Shot some today in my recent 7x64 Zastava acquisition. 3 of the 5 test groups of 4 rounds each were a half inch or under at 100. I was impressed. 150 gr Nosler Bal tips.

It was recommended by a member here for various load for 9.3x74R. I had placed an order for 16 lbs of it with Grafs a few months ago. They got it in and it arrived today. Rifle is still being manufactured by Heym and is a couple of months out if everything goes according to schedule. Will try the powder then.

Forgot to say I have some Hunter to try in my 257 Roberts. I'm also tempted to go over to Exterminator from TAC as seems to be better for the 55gr bullets but you have to love the way those Ramshot powders volumetrically throw consistent weights.

Scrummy

Exterminator with a 55 gr in a 223 is fantastic, TAC for 69 gr and heavier is excellent. Big Game in. 22 250 is excellent, similar to RL 15, 308 also, not the best in a 30 06 where Ramshot Hunter is the best. I use Ramshot powders and very pleased with them. Great line of powders, some are identical to the Accurate line, just different names.

I get good accuracy with TAC and 65gr Sierra Gameking SBT. Like it a lot for small deer we have here, Muntjac and Chinese Water Deer

Apparently Exterminator with do 55gr and the 65gr as well so might try it.

Scrummy

I use Hunter a lot and a lot of it in my Lott. vbg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!