Questions from a rookie.

Rusty

New member
Joined
Apr 25, 2013
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I will be hunting Africa this year with my bow. I will be prettty much limited to Impala. Here is my main question: How do Impala compare to whitetail deer for wariness, sense of smell, hearing, eyesight, etc.? The PH said I may be in a blind or in a treestand. Is camo important when hunting impala? I have killed whitetails for years, but I am not sure how to approach this new game.
Thanks
Rusty
 
Rusty, If the property is hunted hard at all the Impala will make Whitetails appear slow and plodding.
The closest comparison would be the jumpiest Whitetail you have run in to.

You will tell very soon when you arrive how alert they are when you see them approach. If the blinds are not rested and hunted hard you will see the result when they bolt at the slightest sound.


There are some other threads on how jumpy Impala are.

http://www.africahunting.com/bowhunting-africa/9462-string-jumpers.html

http://www.africahunting.com/hunting-video-clips-watch-instantly/6568-bow-hunting-spiral-horn-safaris-video-clips.html


Camo, possibly in a tree stand or walk and stalk. Otherwise, not really.

In a blind: wear black.
 
Rusty, If the property is hunted hard at all the Impala will make Whitetails appear slow and plodding.
The closest comparison would be the jumpiest Whitetail you have run in to.

You will tell very soon when you arrive how alert they are when you see them approach. If the blinds are not rested and hunted hard you will see the result when they bolt at the slightest sound.


There are some other threads on how jumpy Impala are.

http://www.africahunting.com/bowhunting-africa/9462-string-jumpers.html

http://www.africahunting.com/hunting-video-clips-watch-instantly/6568-bow-hunting-spiral-horn-safaris-video-clips.html


Camo, possibly in a tree stand or walk and stalk. Otherwise, not really.

In a blind: wear black.

Thanks!!!
 
Impala only? Come on...you got to save up for a few other plains game species!! At least add a big warthog!!
 
Brickburn gave some great advice, but I would add, if you are going that far and spending that much money on flights, then I would definitley make the most of it and shoot some more animals. Just beware, Africa with a bow is very addicting!
 
Don't go for speed on your bow, keeping it dead quiet will get you much further than a fast arrow on these string jumpers! Guaranteed. I keep my bow between 270 to 280 fps, but its like a whisper, and its worked well for me. Try keep your shots on impala within 20m when you hunt from a blind, after this distance the impala have time too react as they are at their sharpest when around the waterholes or feeding spots.
Otherwise enjoy it! And add a big warthog at least, maybe a blesbuck too if they have. Most of all enjoy it!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,308
Messages
1,572,375
Members
169,548
Latest member
LucioPrend
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top