Questions about dip and pack, taxidermy in Africa, and shipping

Eric Anderson

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
RSA
So, background. I was at my buddies house for his kids birthday party and we were talking. He asked me about my upcoming cape hunt and what I was doing for mounting. His exact words were, “I have a friend who is a good taxidermist and would probably do it for free for just the honor of doing a Cape Buffalo.”

No way is his buddy learning how to do a Cape mount with my trophy. I was thinking though, I may be willing to throw him a bone and pay for a blue wildebeest Mount. Something if he does well he can show on his Facebook and drum up business ect.

Dipping and packing take up a lot less time than doing the full mount. I am having the mount done in country and shipping it here. As much as I would like to have a top teir guy like Animal Artistry do mine, it is not in the budget, and there are very few people in the US that have ever done a bovine mount.

Will a dip and pack keep and be able to be shipped along with a finished mount?

I have seen references to trophies being airshiped, is that nessesary, or part of some regulation? Can I just slowboat third class it? I would like to spend the difference on one of those African map zebra hide deals that Wildlife Artistries does. All his work is extremly high quality, but that is well, amazing. At 37 years old it finally clicks on what my High School art teacher said about the difference between art, and high technical skill.

I would suggest that you pay the difference and have your work done in the USA. If the job goes to south (and I have seen a lot of bad taxidermy and lots has been posted here), you are at worst you are going to have to pay to ship it back or worst ship it back plus your airfare back to take up the problem with the Taxidermist. You will have lots of time to save for payment. Figure 2 years from shot to wall.

You are not going to save much if anything shipping by boat over air. The fright charges with Turkish Airlines are very cheap. You might ask Safari Specialty Importers, he used to post here.

You can have dip/pack sent with finished mounts. Air freight is the best bet and really only way anymore to get stuff back. The ocean freight use to be cheaper and easier to do and really not worth it anymore.

Since your on a budget and need to pick something that works for you I would just look around see if anyones work is good for you. Then stop at there shop to see there work and shop before you just give them your stuff. There is also shops doing that kind of zebra mounts. If your need anymore help with info send me a pm I would be glad to share the info I have.

Good luck with your search

You can't ocean freight raw dip asked skins. They have to air.

Spend the extra money and get your taxidermy done here. I'm having Dennis do our stuff and I feel his prices are more than fair. Our dip pack place wanted to do our taxidermy work. After seeing some of their work at Dallas Safari Club I knew immediately I made the right choice. We visited Dennis's shop before we left (on a Sunday no less) and our shippers work in my opinion, was not even worthy of being a door mat on Dennis's shop floor. Yes it was that bad.

I would agree with Proneshooter. I have had previous safari items completed in RSA. I have things waiting at Chicago airport to go to Dennis. Hands down the best decision that I made was to bring it back here and have Dennis complete my things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smits

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg