Question on shoes

Buzz Charlton of CM Safaris has been wearing crocs for a very long time.

Yeah and flip flops before that! Buzz is not a man to look to for advice on footwear!

I’ve hunted in many different boots and have settled on Lowas. The Renegade fits well and even comes in narrow widths which is a rarity. The main reason I bough them, after seeing them at SCI, was the lightweight nature of these boots.
I have also hunted extensively in custom made Russell Moccasins. They are great but get hot at times.
I also rely on quality insoles which I have found at theinsole store.com.
I have a high arch and the replacement insoles I’ve used have been great.
For me my Lowas with good insoles makes me feel like I am walking on air!
All that said, boots are a very personal item. You must find what works for you. That means getting some quality boots and walking in them. A lot!
My second pair of boots I am taking back to Africa are Lowas. They are now broken in and provide great support and grip

My experience in RSA is that hunting is more about walking than clambering over and around obstacles. The walking can be hard, uphill or downhill, or along a hill, or along a valley. Always through thorns mind you. But it is all walking. By comparison, when I hunt northern Ontario it is much more challenging terrain with obstacles such as logs, rocks, marsh etc. Very few thorns. My boots for home require much more support than when I am in South Africa.

My suggestion is pick a boot that allows you to walk. Don't fret that you will do much challenging terrain.
For the most part this holds true. It was funny on this last safari when my wife asked me “are all your hunts this difficult?” We we’re hunting the Eastern Cape with Frontier Safaris and our PH Fred Burchell was taking us over THE toughest terrain I believe I’ve seen in Africa. Loose rocks, boulders, loose shale, and generally steep and very rugged terrain. I had to tell my wife somewhat apologetically that this was much harder than most PG hunts.

Oh yea and someone mentioned socks. Can’t leave that out. I failed to report on my socks this last trip. I used Darn Tough and the lighter weight Kuiu. Both are wool and both are good. Although I’ve had the Kuiu’s for some time I found that I really liked them.
Point is get some quality wool socks for hiking And hunting.

I’ve had two pair of Courtneys for quite a long time- Selous and Safari. The Selous has the tyre tread sole and the Safari has the cleat pattern. I alternate between the two and both are equally comfortable. Honestly can’t tell much difference between the soles other that the tyre tread picking up an occasional pea gravel sized stone and the cleat pattern picking up BB sized stones. Not at all noticeable in use outdoors. Also can’t tell much difference in being quiet while stalking.

Also, I don’t know about other areas but that gray Kalahari sand has to be navigated to be appreciated. The best explanation I’ve heard (and it makes sense to me) is that being some of the oldest sand on Earth, it’s granules are not only very small but are more rounded and worn- thus feel somewhat slick when being walked on. It does require a different walking technique when on it. For me the Courteney tyre tread sole may have a slight edge in that sand. Guaranteed you’ll know what works or doesn’t after some miles tracking in that stuff :)

Last edited:
This question comes up a lot. Here are 6 pages of opinions.

I’ve worn Rocky Outback’s on both trips and some other hunting and hiking in the US. They’re still good to go for my next safari.
For socks I wear Cabela’s mid weight wool hikers. NOTE: I bought several pairs before Bass Pro got a hold of them. I bought a couple of pair since that occurred and don’t like them quite as well.
ALWAYS wear gaiters.

I’ve worn Rocky Outback’s on both trips and some other hunting and hiking in the US. They’re still good to go for my next safari.
For socks I wear Cabela’s mid weight wool hikers. NOTE: I bought several pairs before Bass Pro got a hold of them. I bought a couple of pair since that occurred and don’t like them quite as well.
ALWAYS wear gaiters.
Bass Pro buying out Cabela's was a tragedy. I used to live near KC and shopped at both quite a bit (BP in Independence MO, CB just over the line in KS), and it always seemed to me that Cabela's quality was much better than Bass Pro's. Unfortunately, any difference there might have been has since disappeared. Sad, really. Profits over quality now.

Has anyone worn Courteney's Jameson? I've got trick ankles that will dump me onto the ground without warning if my ankles aren't supported or the boots/shoes have any tendency to roll.

I have been wearing Wildebees Spoorloos the past couple hunts. Very quiet and comfortable. They are made in Johannesburg, the store is near the airport.

Try their Cleat Sole.

Currently on the Courtney website, the Selous is only available in tire thread and ripple…

Or you would recommend another model?

One more vote for the Courteneys. Heck, even my South African PH has switched to them. Any model is OK--just make sure the tread is somewhat aggressive. Mine are the model "Safari" (see pic below). Oh, and they look the part. Lady Africa deserves getting dressed for. :cool:

I use mine on rather challenging hikes here in the US too. As @fourfive8 said, don't overthink it. Anything comfortable and well-worn will be OK.

View attachment 474176
Currently on the Courtney website, the Selous is only available in tire thread and ripple…

Or you would recommend another model?
The Safari model is what I have and they have the cleat sole. Only come in regular width I think

I wear Courteney Safaris, have them in both the ripple and tractor tread, but prefer the ripple, they are quieter. My latest pair are the more recent style with the higher toe clearance. They are far more comfortable with soft inserts, I get mine done by a podiatrist and now you are in heaven.
A must have to complete the story is an elasticised gaiter in oiled canvas, Berke Wills is good, they dont gather a single burr or seed. The Courteney ones are no good, the laces pick up as many burrs as your socks would have.
82F324BC-24BE-4707-B9BC-3FEDEF2719F5.jpeg

Buzz Charlton of CM Safaris has been wearing crocs for a very long time.
I hunted the Cameroon savannah for two weeks in leather Crocs because my luggage never showed up.

I just hunted the Liberian jungle in Land's End Water Shoes (about $63), which were great because we walked through water every night/day and these had at least a chance of drying out between hunts. And they were comfortable when wet.

I think we worry too much about the right kind of boots/shoes for hunting. If they're comfortable and you can walk on them for some hours, they will do.

Adidas Terrex hiking shoes. Super comfortable, light enough for sand, but enough gripe to climb. They dry out pretty quick too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg