Question on bullet type for Africa

I try to abstain from Nosler Partition soft points, because their quality has visibly deteriorated ( in my experience ) after Nosler altered the bullet construction procedure in order to reduce manufacturing costs ( it’s disturbing how many fine rifles, shotguns and cartridges have become complete horse shit after the manufacturers try to pull this off ).

In order to save pennies.

Care to expand on the partition manufacturing problems?

In order to save pennies.

Care to expand on the partition manufacturing problems?
Sure, @CJW.

In . 270 and .308 calibers, the new Nosler Partition has been observed to come to pieces all too quickly. @PerH actually spoke to an employee at Nosler, recently ... Who was able to confirm our suspicions. He can tell us exactly what Nosler has altered, that led to such dismal results.

a change in Partitions would be interesting to document. Right now the temp is below freezing and there's about a foot of snow on the ground so testing will need to wait a couple months but I'd consider a repeat of some tests I did about 25 years ago- Section a few to see if the jacket has changed, hardness test the jacket and core, and load a bunch in 30-06 and 300 Wby, shooting them into water filled gallon jugs and doing post mortems. What would be beneficial is that I have the results from 25 years ago that tested both the original style and the then new style, for comparison with current production.

Both projectiles you listed are more than enough for the game you mentioned in post 1. No need to overthink things. Start practising.

Sure, @CJW.

In . 270 and .308 calibers, the new Nosler Partition has been observed to come to pieces all too quickly. @PerH actually spoke to an employee at Nosler, recently ... Who was able to confirm our suspicions. He can tell us exactly what Nosler has altered, that led to such dismal results.

It was an Ex employee i talked with about the NP.

Before over here NP was one of best bullets one could find for Moose and so here. It was like that for decades,the Standars to follow them for. Weatherby and so on.

Then came the aplinter bomb,and people curaed it, was better off with a Interlock,or anything else . Too much meat ruimed ,bullets a mess

Then from Norwegian magazine Weaponsjournal i saw a test of .375,.378 NP 300 grain . In ice they were shot, they looked almost similar . Resembling a Swift in shape one can say .

Also in the Nosler book ,not data but history John Nosler write about the alterations changes, since i remembered that just now.

What the Ex employee said in short was Yes on my question.

Old bullets, extrusion done cold, rolling the tubes out cold then, drilling ,cutting ,filling with lead ,crimping,polishing,shaping.

New, extrusion, with heat, altering molecule and the performance of the bullet upon impact. Making it brittle ,less less reliable , performance uncertain from shot to shot.

I have used the Partition..180 gr. 30 06….on Zebra, Giraffe, and a 3 yr old Eland bull. They work..front part act like a hand grenade and the partition remains intact like a solid traveling without deforming. Retaining 65 to 70 percent…for the Accubond in same cal and weight I have used them on over 120 head of plains game from duiker to Zebra and Wildebeast with excellent results, retaining 65 to 70 per cent in perfect mushroom. The Accubond is a better BC and my choice for longer shots as in Namibia…in the bush, Limpopo, the Partition is fantastic. The Accubonds group better in my rifle, but not much over the Partition. I have used the Swift Scirocco in 180 gr also with excellent results. With Swift having a pure Copper exterior your barrel needs to be very clean and copper free to get the best accuracy from them and seated off the lands, tweaking your loads and finding the best and accurate seating and you will love the Scirocco.

Really….and where did you acquire your certified definition of a perfect mushroom? I am referring to the visual appearance and even distribution of the remaining frontal portion of the bullet after recovery and the even fold in a downward and back under cupping of the outer copper jacket in a diametrically pleasing and consistent manner exhibiting a greater than frontal exposure than the original diameter of said bullet. Thus dumping all its energy in the selected target and distributing some of the frontal portions of lead in the surrounding tissue, expanding the original diameter of the entry by 30 or more per cent. The alternative to this scenario is a solid, or a mono bullet that could and have pencil thru, or lose some if not all its petals in certain instances. Remaining weight on recovery of a bullet does not necessarily mean it is a better “killer”with higher weight retention. A cup and core that looses its lead core and only recover an empty copper jacket is not a mushroom, but a failure even tho it is recovered, but it did in spite of that kill the animal..this time…

Certified definition?? In the hunting fields if Africa...
The bullets I use expand to 2 to 2.5 x original diameter with very high weight retention and straight line penetration...what more can a hunter want?

.what more can a hunter want?

What the hunter wants is for the bullet to kill the animal and hopefully stop the animal from further movement while the effects of the bullet become known to the animal. Whether the bullet expands or retains any weight at all is irrelevant as long as the desired want is obtained.

Certified definition?? In the hunting fields if Africa...
The bullets I use expand to 2 to 2.5 x original diameter with very high weight retention and straight line penetration...what more can a hunter want?
Mono metal I assume…point well taken.

One should not confuse the goal with the means. If the goal is to go from point A to point B, the mode of transportation is not relevant as long as the person gets to point B. As long as the animal dies quickly the terminal features of the bullet don't matter.

65 to 70 percent weight retention can never produce a perfect mushroom 90%+ can...
@IvW
20200123_133415.jpg

20200123_133438.jpg

To me perfect mushroom, 74% weight retention and straight line of penetration plus almost 2x caliber expansion. One very dead animal
From front of a kudu bull to the ham, approximately 5 feet.
225gn 35 call accubond.
20211117_164754.jpg

Another perfect double caliber expansion 80%+ weight retention.
Quartering shot behind the ribs thru the chest lodged in the animals ( pig) fighting pad. One very dead animal.
Non bonded 150gn Hornaday SST in a 308.
Deed is deed If'n the bullet does it job it don't matter none to me. I ain't never had an animal complain that the bullet didn't retain 90% of its weight or expand to over double caliber and go in a straight line. They were to busy being just plain dead.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg