Question for a safari rifle gunsmith

TexasAg

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, RSA, Zimbabwe (3 times), Russia
Ok folks, I am having a custom Sako being built in 458 Lott. A Sako V action has only one recoil lug. THe question is, does a second barrel lug need to be added. The gentleman selling the custom Sako on this forum was very helpful by providing me a pic of the added recoil lug on that rifle; but looking at custom gun makers websites they do not talk about adding a second lug. I am thinking it is best to put a second one but just wanted to get experiences on this mag caliber on one lug actions. Yes, I will have the action iron epoxy bedded and the stock will have two crossbolts.

I recently recieved a Custom built 458 Lott, built by Roger Ferrell & stocked by Wayne Jacobson @ AHR. It has 2 X bolts & a 2nd lug, Wayne didnt think a Lott needed the 2nd lug, but it has a pretty nice piece of wood on it, and I intend to use it on some rather pricey hunts. If I can stack all odds (especially including equipment) in my favor by small investments like a 2nd lug....I'll do it every time.

In my opinion All rifles .375 H&H and larger should have a well fitted barrel recoil lug and cross bolt in addition to that you should have a set of correctly ground and fitted screwdrivers to make sure that your main screws are tight at all times. We are often asked to repair (or restock) cracked and chipped stocks where the damage has occoured as a direct result of loose main screws.

That only happens when you're south of the equator.. Since we're on the north the screws tend to tighten up. ;)

I don't know... Maybe something about the earths rotation? :D

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Thats why you need to have a rifle with a left hand twist south of the equator :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois