Qatar Resumes Namibia Flights

Hello there. I flew coach. Not well heeled enough to go business, LOL. Anyway the service was outstanding. Seats were roomy and comfortable (at least to me) and the food was the best I've had on a flight. Swore I'd never eat another meal on Delta if I'm ever unfortunate enough to fly with them again. I've no complaints. Hope this is helpful.

Ha. I used to eat as much as I could in the airport and then take some protein bars!

Qatar is my favorite airline. I flew the Doha to Windhoek route the last time I hunted in Namibia. Great experience. Lufthansa is supposed to begin flights from St. Louis (near my home) to Frankfurt soon. That’s another interesting option for me. One airline the whole way.
I just flew the Frankfurt to Windhoek route. It’s actually operated by EuroWings under the Lufthansa name. Not sure if that changes your plan, but the EuroWings plane was packed full of seats. The premium there made coach on the United flight seem like first class… just a warning.

I just flew the Frankfurt to Windhoek route. It’s actually operated by EuroWings under the Lufthansa name. Not sure if that changes your plan, but the EuroWings plane was packed full of seats. The premium there made coach on the United flight seem like first class… just a warning.
Not good. Thanks for the warning.

Has Qatar indicated what days of the week they would be flying to Namibia? I couldn't find anything specifying the actual days or on their website.

I looked at a Qatar flight to Windhoek just a couple days ago. One option (out of Chicago O’Hare) was British Airways to London, then Qatar to Doha and on to Windhoek. It was significantly cheaper than direct to Doha for business class. But I don’t think I would want to transfer airlines with a firearm in London. But if you were doing rifle rental, maybe.

Philip,
Last year in September the business lounge was $125ish. Best money I ever spent period. Had an 8 hour layover wished it was longer. Food and amenities have to be seen to be believed. Royal family owns Qatar. Its a long flight,But last year it was the only for sure thing to Tanzania and SA.

Petey J,
If you fly Virgin Air you’ll have zero problems and no extra cost taking your own rifles. It’s the way I’m going to Nambia/ Botswana next May. I’ve takin Virgin air SFO to JNB with guns 3 times. Zero problems so far. Knock on Wood! No cost!!

I’ve managed to avoid Europe on all of my trips to Africa and have no plans to start now. I did look at using some of my AA miles to fly AUS-LHR-JNB one time but BA charges you an arm and a leg to use your miles.
Did you fly with a rifle? Most of these no name carriers don’t handle guns and are to be avoided. Thanks for the intel.
Philip

Has Qatar indicated what days of the week they would be flying to Namibia? I couldn't find anything specifying the actual days or on their website.
It is terribly hard to find. Here is what I’ve found so far:
Qatar Schedule
Dreamliner 787-8 - 22 Biz, 232 coach
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday

DOH-WDH 01:45-9:50AM
QR 1373 9 hours 5 min

WDH-DOH 13:20-23:00
QR 1374 8 hours, 40m

I looked at a Qatar flight to Windhoek just a couple days ago. One option (out of Chicago O’Hare) was British Airways to London, then Qatar to Doha and on to Windhoek. It was significantly cheaper than direct to Doha for business class. But I don’t think I would want to transfer airlines with a firearm in London. But if you were doing rifle rental, maybe.
That is a big (actually THE biggest) no no. never transfer airlines or airports in the UK with rifles.

Philip,
Last year in September the business lounge was $125ish. Best money I ever spent period. Had an 8 hour layover wished it was longer. Food and amenities have to be seen to be believed. Royal family owns Qatar. Its a long flight,But last year it was the only for sure thing to Tanzania and SA.
I will finally have enough of a layover on the Zim trip in August to visit the business class lounge. On the return I have an 8 hour layover in DOH. Maybe I’ll take time to check out the first class lounge (which you can also pay to use)!
The two trips to RSA have had ultra short connection times.
I was needing to know the lounge price for my friends who are flying coach. I appreciate the info!

Petey J,
If you fly Virgin Air you’ll have zero problems and no extra cost taking your own rifles. It’s the way I’m going to Nambia/ Botswana next May. I’ve takin Virgin air SFO to JNB with guns 3 times. Zero problems so far. Knock on Wood! No cost!!
This is good to know. Have you posted any trip reports on AH? It would be helpful to others to have the details.
thanks,
Philip

I’ve managed to avoid Europe on all of my trips to Africa and have no plans to start now. I did look at using some of my AA miles to fly AUS-LHR-JNB one time but BA charges you an arm and a leg to use your miles.
Did you fly with a rifle? Most of these no name carriers don’t handle guns and are to be avoided. Thanks for the intel.
Philip
Next trip, I’ll go ATL - JNB… we didn’t fly with rifles but there were a lot of hunters on the flight, none mentioned any issues with their rifles. Personally I’d take a straight 15 hour flight from atl or Newark over a 9 hour flight plus an 11 hour flight. Just my thoughts.

Next trip, I’ll go ATL - JNB… we didn’t fly with rifles but there were a lot of hunters on the flight, none mentioned any issues with their rifles. Personally I’d take a straight 15 hour flight from atl or Newark over a 9 hour flight plus an 11 hour flight. Just my thoughts.
I'm flying DFW-ATL-JNB on Delta in a few weeks. Then taking Airlink from JNB-WND and finally returning on the Qatar flight WND-DOH-DWF.

I flew HOU-DOH-JNB last year round trip. I'll let you know what my thought are between the two flights and how that WND-DOH leg is.

If anyone sees additions to the DOH-WDH flight schedule from the current Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday schedule please post it. It won’t be long and I’ll be looking at next years flights for Namibia and RSA combo hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryellenD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you