Put Down The Kombucha & Pick Up A Crossbow: Hipsters Are The New Hunters

So markferrigno, your reply to this attempt to introduce new younger hunters to the sport is to be sarcastic. Hopefully I'm reading this wrong and you do support this effort. If not, that's sad.

Yes, "Artisnal Crossbows" is a joke, though I would have thought the phrase "Artisinal Crossbows" would obviously be taken as joke...........

Hunting used to be a common American activity, BUT: it also used to be common for landowners to say, "yeah, I guess you can hunt as long as you close the gates behind you , respect my cattle, and don't litter." NOW it is, this deer lease is xxx$ per acre--PRICING THE AVERAGE GUY OUT. Land access, both public and private will be the real limiting factor when it comes to the future of hunting in Texas. How can you say, here is sustainable "field to fork." if it costs ten times what steak costs?
Our public lands should especially be managed to introduce new hunters, otherwise the revenue hungry state will find other sources of income from it. Don't believe me? Even here in Dallas, the government shut down one of the few parks on lake Ray Hubbard, selling it to business development because it brought in more tax revenue. Want to fish there? Better have a boat. Tough luck new fishermen who can't afford one. The boom for gov revenue from hunters is now--where do they even think it will come from when this generation passes? Leaving it to government to figure out when the time comes is waiting for a train wreck.

Hunting used to be a common American activity, BUT: it also used to be common for landowners to say, "yeah, I guess you can hunt as long as you close the gates behind you , respect my cattle, and don't litter." NOW it is, this deer lease is xxx$ per acre--PRICING THE AVERAGE GUY OUT. Land access, both public and private will be the real limiting factor when it comes to the future of hunting in Texas. How can you say, here is sustainable "field to fork." if it costs ten times what steak costs?
Our public lands should especially be managed to introduce new hunters, otherwise the revenue hungry state will find other sources of income from it. Don't believe me? Even here in Dallas, the government shut down one of the few parks on lake Ray Hubbard, selling it to business development because it brought in more tax revenue. Want to fish there? Better have a boat. Tough luck new fishermen who can't afford one. The boom for gov revenue from hunters is now--where do they even think it will come from when this generation passes? Leaving it to government to figure out when the time comes is waiting for a train wreck.

Precisely this. My wife and I do pretty well, but when we first married, combined income was "only" about 150k. We've worked our way into top 5% in US, and while I can now afford the expensive white tail hunts here, there is absolutely no way I'm going to shell out north of $5K for a single white tail hunt. I wouldn't do if it I wont a big Mega Millions jackpot, either.

I'm absolutely willing to pay that kind of money (locally) for auodad and nilgai, or out of state/country for even more. Don't get me wrong - I love to hunt white tail, and do plenty of it on our family land back in Louisiana, where the cost is tallied in new deers stands every few years, new game cams, feeders, rye grass, and sweat. It truly gets under my skin that white tails have become as expensive as PG hunts. Cripes. I can fly to NZ and hunt stag, axis, fallow, and chamois for less money than "guided" white tail hunts in Texas.

Waaay too many deer where I hunt. Last day of the season, one cut corn field had 47, across the country road and quarter mile away, 52 in the field. Farmers are BEGGING my gang to kill more of them but with no Sunday hunting, less hunters afield every year, and a lot of them being trophy hunters, the population is exploding. If I had the money to buy non-resident doe tags, I could kill fifty or more a season.
Dug up the pic of those deer. Yep, those are all white tails.

20180110_1602271.jpg

Wow, that's crazy! Almost like having a rodent issue. :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Wow, that's crazy! Almost like having a rodent issue. :ROFLMAO::LOL:
It is definitely similar to a rodent issue. I had one homeowner tell me the deer trashed five thousand bucks worth of landscaping on their new home.

As someone who's gonna graduate college, I definetly wanna learn hunting so I can get fairly cheap, unmolested meat for myself with the added benefit of being out in nature.

Its good to have more hunters but this is borderline anti gun to make some feel warm and fuzzy.

I used to bring venison to pot lucks with people who didn't hunt. Wife and I would label it "locally sourced organic free-range". Glad to see it's catching on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.