Probably a long shot….

CBeck

AH fanatic
Joined
Nov 27, 2021
Messages
755
Reaction score
2,472
Location
Georgia, USA
Media
12
I discovered a forgotten box of trophy bonded tips yesterday that I had previously used in my 7mm rem mag. I’d like to load some in 280 ackley improved, but Federal doesn’t show any data for the trophy bonded tip in 280 AI

Anyone happen to have a good load for .280 ackley improved using 160 trophy bonded tip preferably with imr4350 since that’s what I have most of.

thanks!
 
No actual results but I did a QuickLoad simulation for you. The Max possible load of IMR 4350 is 57.9 Gr. Max pressure of 64,649 lbs. of pressure vs a max of 65,000. This is expected to yield 2926 FPS and 3041 Ft. Lbs. of energy out of a 24" barrel. As you well know normal practice dictates you start below that and work up based on pressure signs. Hopefully someone can furnish you with better data based on their experience.
 
Nosler #9 shows IMR 4350 loads for the 280 Improved with 160 grain NPs starting at 51.5 gr. @ 2818 and max at 55.5 gr. @ 3002 with Nosler brass from a 26" barrel. This might be a place to start. Safe for Nosler Partitions is probably OK for the Federal TB.
 
No actual results but I did a QuickLoad simulation for you. The Max possible load of IMR 4350 is 57.9 Gr. Max pressure of 64,649 lbs. of pressure vs a max of 65,000. This is expected to yield 2926 FPS and 3041 Ft. Lbs. of energy out of a 24" barrel. As you well know normal practice dictates you start below that and work up based on pressure signs. Hopefully someone can furnish you with better data based on their experience.
Awesome information. Thank you! I’ve never used quickload. How reliable do you find it?
 
Nosler #9 shows IMR 4350 loads for the 280 Improved with 160 grain NPs starting at 51.5 gr. @ 2818 and max at 55.5 gr. @ 3002 with Nosler brass from a 26" barrel. This might be a place to start. Safe for Nosler Partitions is probably OK for the Federal TB.
Yes sir. Thank you. That’s what I have used in the past and has worked fine for other bullets. Thanks again.
 
Since they are both solid shank, I would look - just for reference - at the Barnes TSX 160 load data as well. (IIRC it had a max of 53 grains of IMR-4350 in the 280 AI.)

BTW, my Quick Load data breaks above max pressure at 56.5 grains IMR-4350 with a 160 "Trophy Bonded". (Does not indicate if this is the older Bear Claw or the Tipped.)

With only 50 to play with, I would load one each at 53.5, 54.5, 55.5 (and maybe one at 56.0) - shoot over a chronograph - and then go from there.
 
Since they are both solid shank, I would look - just for reference - at the Barnes TSX 160 load data as well. (IIRC it had a max of 53 grains of IMR-4350 in the 280 AI.)

BTW, my Quick Load data breaks above max pressure at 56.5 grains IMR-4350 with a 160 "Trophy Bonded". (Does not indicate if this is the older Bear Claw or the Tipped.)

With only 50 to play with, I would load one each at 53.5, 54.5, 55.5 (and maybe one at 56.0) - shoot over a chronograph - and then go from there.
Thanks for your help and advice! I’ve not used a chronograph often so bear with me and my questions. I’ve really only used one to check for consistency of loads.

Ok, so I understand a 10 round ladder but loading say 3 charges what am I going to be looking for from chronograph readings.
 
On the chronograph, you're checking velocity since you don't have direct loading data. V is also your best reference for pressure, along with the usual signs of course. I'm guessing you are hoping for ~2,850 fps to maybe 2,950-ish.

If you happen to see a couple of the loads grouping close (hopefully the last two), and the velocity is acceptable, you are 90% there.

Sounds like a fun project, anyway. Keep us posted.
 
CBeck, I've used QuickLoad to work up simulations for a number of different calibers. Some have been for guys like yourself. Overall, I think QuickLoad "suggested" results are a good place to start. BUT not necessarily the final place to stop. Its' versatility allows one to "try" different components to see what outcomes are likely.
 
Since they are both solid shank, I would look - just for reference - at the Barnes TSX 160 load data as well. (IIRC it had a max of 53 grains of IMR-4350 in the 280 AI.)

BTW, my Quick Load data breaks above max pressure at 56.5 grains IMR-4350 with a 160 "Trophy Bonded". (Does not indicate if this is the older Bear Claw or the Tipped.)

With only 50 to play with, I would load one each at 53.5, 54.5, 55.5 (and maybe one at 56.0) - shoot over a chronograph - and then go from there.

I would think that a Barnes TSX of equal weight to a lead core bullet, even with the TSX driving bands, would have more surface area and as such the load data would show a bit more pressure. I may be dead wrong, but I’d be careful to mix metaphors between a 160gr lead and a 160gr brass/copper bullet simply because the copper bullet is going to have over 20% greater volume at equal weight.
 
I did not suggest using Barnes loading data for the Federal Trophy Tipped- only to give it a look "for reference". Unstated, but an inferred caution - is the significantly lower Max powder charge for the mono metal.

The Federal Trophy Tipped is not in any way a conventional "lead bullet", btw. With the long solid copper shank it appears to be (very roughly) about 40 to 50% copper.
 
Still haven’t come up with any brass but I did score one box of Factory loaded Nosler Accubond 140 grain at Natchez.

SO….I bore sighted and went out to my range at the house. I’m pretty impressed with initial accuracy. This is a 50 yard target. First shot low and left off of the bore sighter.

I made adjustments and shot a 3 shot group. I had to shoot a fifth shot at a steel gong to make sure I wasn’t missing. LOL

I wish I had some more ammo for testing but this was pretty satisfying. .222 inch 3 shot group at 50 yards

A7D2F8B0-3D02-496C-8F78-597353382BBE.jpeg
 
Wow. ........... and some days, you eat the bear. :)
 
I loaded 140 Accubonds for my 7mm RM. Shot a 3/4" group at 100 yards. I like these bullets!
 
I use 140 Accubonds on top of a maximum charge of RL19 in my 280. Sub-MOA performance.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,357
Messages
1,574,066
Members
169,895
Latest member
PatriceWal
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top