Pre War Winchester Model 70 Super Grade help

Jgarner197

AH member
Joined
Sep 5, 2021
Messages
40
Reaction score
53
Location
Columbia, Missouri
Gentlemen I would first like to first thank all of you for years of entertainment and most valuable information! I’ve been a longtime reader/lurker of this fine forum and have finally decided to participate myself. My father is retiring in less than a year and we have started planning for a few hunts abroad. Thus, in my recent reorganization of my collection to fund some of these excursions, I stumbled across a rather interesting rifle. I unexpectedly acquired this on trade when letting some of my military surplus go. As stated in the title it is a Winchester Model 70 Super Grade 300 Magnum that appears by serial number to be built right at the end of 1937. This one has had the rear bridge drilled/tapped, dons a vintage 2.5 power Lyman Alaskan, and a Tilden safety has been added. This leads me to my first of two questions…

The Winchester red rubber recoil pad perplexes me on this one however. My understanding was that these were not a standard option on the 300 Magnum but could be added as a “factory special order installation”. Making me think it was added much later. Yet, coincidentally, it was described to me by the gentleman that I traded with as being original. I promptly measured the LOP and it is in line and right at the original 13 5/8 factory specifications. The interesting part is that the typical 1922 patent date is not present on this pad. In its stead reads “Pat. Applied For” with no date. I’ve never seen this before but have read about it once on a forum discussing vintage Winchester rifles and shotguns. Any help clarifying this would be greatly appreciated!

The second and much more profound question is what should I do with this rifle? I already own three other rifles chambered in 300 magnum, including my grandfather’s 1949 Model 70. I have always wanted a vintage super grade and this would certainly scratch that itch. The issue as you can see is the stock. The bluing is excellent, the bore is near mint, and somehow the checkering is even in great shape! The stock on the other hand has seen better days with some gouging and scratches. I have contacted Justin at pre64win about restoring the stock to its rightful glory. The trouble in my mind is what that might do to the value of the rifle. I’m looking for professional opinions on whether I should leave it be as is and deal with it, restore it using a professional, or if I should sell it and upgrade to one in perhaps better condition? Dreadfully sorry to be so long winded with my first post on here but I’m trying to be as thorough as possible and value your gentleman’s opinions. Thank you very kindly for all your time! Cheers
41EC98F6-F00C-4EA4-B105-6441E3929B3A.jpeg
4A0AC82F-94E7-4CEE-86F5-1DB1F42EA6D6.jpeg
F686DE74-7CFA-469F-BA27-E67CCA17A622.jpeg
56437C10-BD4E-48A3-A5FD-01C5F43EB4E4.jpeg
15D284A0-9949-47B9-8EE9-DBFD7C00D2D7.jpeg
CC06A31C-5347-4805-8D73-4CFD9B47A7E5.jpeg
CEE0D817-A7E9-40E7-995D-40EFEE5B60BB.jpeg
AF5C0669-4645-4C66-AA3D-A31BA6E9E53D.jpeg
AE21E9FB-3DE1-4052-A98B-685D665BF481.jpeg
AC8FA6AD-8C6B-496B-8470-62534E62B218.jpeg
C1C53434-543E-46B5-BB04-78F3CA7A6929.jpeg
F7FBFCC8-8D8E-40A6-A6C5-C4CEDEE51680.jpeg
6F476643-3655-45CE-8360-9E12BDE76C48.jpeg
 
Last edited:
You have an excellent hunting rifle. Don"t be afraid to use it. The reality is that the holes drilled in rear bridge negate the collector value.
Refinish the stock and take it hunting. These are great rifles and it likely shoots as good or better than most rifles. Enjoy!
 
You have an excellent hunting rifle. Don"t be afraid to use it. The reality is that the holes drilled in rear bridge negate the collector value.
Refinish the stock and take it hunting. These are great rifles and it likely shoots as good or better than most rifles. Enjoy!
Thank you very much sir! I truly appreciate it. I intend to take this one out to the range Tuesday side by side with my grandfathers 1949.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,328
Messages
1,573,149
Members
169,710
Latest member
Cpirillo
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top