vette447

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, DSC
Hunted
USA (AK,CO,NM,WY,TX,KS,OK), Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Argentina, France
I bought this gun awhile back in a group of guns and always thought it was very nice but I really don’t need it. I am not an LC Smith expert but from the research I have done, this appears to be a very nice example of a pre-1913 No 3 grade gun. It has a very attractive amount of remaining case colors on the receiver (which were hard to capture in the photograph) and beautiful wood grain in the stock. It is engraved with game scenes including a pair of snipe in the oval on the right lockplate and quail in a game scene oval on the left lockplate. It features 30” nitro steel barrels choked full/full with a single extractor and a gold bead foresight. The LOP is 14” to the front trigger and it weighs 7.4 lbs.

It locks up tight and the bores are beautiful and shiny and mechanics are excellent. It has obviously been well cared for. The only “knocks” that I see on it are a little superficial nick in the top of the right barrel and a small chip out of the stock behind the right lock plate. The nick in the barrel is just cosmetic, probably from bumping something coming out of the safe, and does not transfer through into the bore at all.

From the LC Smith Collector Association website regarding the Grade 3:

No. 3 (1894-1912)

The 1900 catalog reported that the No. 3 grade with: "Nitro Steel barrels is considered by many to be the finest medium-grade on the market. This grade always pleases as in it we give so much of value." Usually, this grade had ducks (right lock plate) and quail (left lock plate) engraved in ovals, rather than in circles, as found on the No. 2 shotguns. No extra handwork was done on the inside of the locks. Barrels were either a "fine quality" of Chain Damascus (8, 10, 12, and 16 gauges) or Nitro Steel (12, 16, and 20 gauges). As with many of the other grades, production of 20 gauge shotguns began in 1907. Records indicate that three 8 gauge, 51 10 gauge, 2,592 12 gauge, 253 16 gauge, and 143 20 gauge guns were made. Barrel lengths were advertised to be 32, 30, and 28 inches. The barrel extension was stamped HUNTER ARMS CO. FULTON, N.Y. Stocks were made from English walnut in straight or pistol grip. The 1900 L.C. Smith catalog notes: "Purchasing gun stocks in very large quantities as we do makes it possible for us to give something choice even in the No. 3 grade. We are always careful to give as choice a color and figure as possible." Lightweights were available with the 12 gauge weighing 6 pounds and 12 ounces and the 16 gauge weighing 6 pounds and 8 ounces. A total of 3,042 No. 3 guns were made, and 2,432 had automatic ejectors. It was priced at $100 in 1892 and $90 in 1912.

Price is $3,000 plus actual shipping to your FFL (please make sure your FFL will accept shipments from an individual). I can accept cashier’s checks for payment.

Please PM or email me with any questions or if you wish to see additional pictures. Thanks!

LC 1.jpg
LC 3.jpg
LC 4.jpg
LC 2.jpg
LC 5.jpg
LC 7.jpg
LC 8.jpg
LC 6.jpg

LC 11.jpg
LC 12.jpg
LC 13.jpg
LC 10.jpg

LC 14.jpg
LC 15.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-27 at 8.16.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-27 at 8.16.39 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-27 at 8.16.39 AM 1.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-27 at 8.16.39 AM 1.png
    907.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-27 at 8.16.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-27 at 8.16.40 AM.png
    856.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-27 at 8.16.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-27 at 8.16.43 AM.png
    939.8 KB · Views: 107
I bought this gun awhile back in a group of guns and always thought it was very nice but I really don’t need it. I am not an LC Smith expert but from the research I have done, this appears to be a very nice example of a pre-1913 No 3 grade gun. It has a very attractive amount of remaining case colors on the receiver (which were hard to capture in the photograph) and beautiful wood grain in the stock. It is engraved with game scenes including a pair of snipe in the oval on the right lockplate and quail in a game scene oval on the left lockplate. It features 30” nitro steel barrels choked full/full with a single extractor and a gold bead foresight. The LOP is 14” to the front trigger and it weighs 7.4 lbs.

It locks up tight and the bores are beautiful and shiny and mechanics are excellent. It has obviously been well cared for. The only “knocks” that I see on it are a little superficial nick in the top of the right barrel and a small chip out of the stock behind the right lock plate. The nick in the barrel is just cosmetic, probably from bumping something coming out of the safe, and does not transfer through into the bore at all.

From the LC Smith Collector Association website regarding the Grade 3:

No. 3 (1894-1912)

The 1900 catalog reported that the No. 3 grade with: "Nitro Steel barrels is considered by many to be the finest medium-grade on the market. This grade always pleases as in it we give so much of value." Usually, this grade had ducks (right lock plate) and quail (left lock plate) engraved in ovals, rather than in circles, as found on the No. 2 shotguns. No extra handwork was done on the inside of the locks. Barrels were either a "fine quality" of Chain Damascus (8, 10, 12, and 16 gauges) or Nitro Steel (12, 16, and 20 gauges). As with many of the other grades, production of 20 gauge shotguns began in 1907. Records indicate that three 8 gauge, 51 10 gauge, 2,592 12 gauge, 253 16 gauge, and 143 20 gauge guns were made. Barrel lengths were advertised to be 32, 30, and 28 inches. The barrel extension was stamped HUNTER ARMS CO. FULTON, N.Y. Stocks were made from English walnut in straight or pistol grip. The 1900 L.C. Smith catalog notes: "Purchasing gun stocks in very large quantities as we do makes it possible for us to give something choice even in the No. 3 grade. We are always careful to give as choice a color and figure as possible." Lightweights were available with the 12 gauge weighing 6 pounds and 12 ounces and the 16 gauge weighing 6 pounds and 8 ounces. A total of 3,042 No. 3 guns were made, and 2,432 had automatic ejectors. It was priced at $100 in 1892 and $90 in 1912.

Price is $3,000 plus actual shipping to your FFL (please make sure your FFL will accept shipments from an individual). I can accept cashier’s checks for payment.

Please PM or email me with any questions or if you wish to see additional pictures. Thanks!

View attachment 530447View attachment 530449View attachment 530450View attachment 530448View attachment 530451View attachment 530453View attachment 530454View attachment 530452
View attachment 530456View attachment 530457View attachment 530458View attachment 530455
View attachment 530459View attachment 530460
Beautiful LC Smith in amazing condition!

Original stock? Looks to have been refinished.

I don’t know. I will say it looks like several other higher grade LCs that I have seen for sale but with some of the best wood grain. It certainly may have been refinished at some point though.

Someone asked me about stock dimensions on this one. I don’t have a perfect way to measure but it looks like ~2” drop at comb and ~3-1/4” drop at heel.

BTT. Price is now $2500 plus shipping and insurance. Thanks

BTT. Reasonable offers will be considered. Surely someone needs a very nice vintage 12 bore for Christmas this year. :)

BTT. Reduced to $2200 plus shipping

If it was here in Zim. I would buy it.

Lon

Wow..........timing really sux......just after Christmas, tax time, and now this gun! One of the best values on the net. Please tell me it has sold so I can stop looking..:)...................FWB

Thank you for the kinds words gentlemen. Shoot me a PM if interested. Reasonable offers will be considered. :)

Thank you for the kind words guys.

Also, I forgot to mention that the chambers are 2-3/4”
is the finish on the stock original? It appears to have been refinished although an excellent job was done. Obviously struck was later cut and recoil pad added. Last question - wasn't the original chamber length 2 5/8”? If now 2 3/4” were those lengthened at a later date? It is certainly a nice looking gun

I would also guess that the stock may have been refinished but the shotgun is in very nice condition overall and I don’t think it has been shot much. Also, the chambers appear to be 2-3/4” factory and have not been lengthened. A 2-3/4” shell falls right into place without issue. From my research, it appears that Pre-1913 LC Smith 12 bore shotguns with 2-3/4” chambers were pretty common.

I would also guess that the stock may have been refinished but the shotgun is in very nice condition overall and I don’t think it has been shot much. Also, the chambers appear to be 2-3/4” factory and have not been lengthened. A 2-3/4” shell falls right into place without issue. From my research, it appears that Pre-1913 LC Smith 12 bore shotguns with 2-3/4” chambers were pretty common.
I have the same LC Smith model but “Field Grade” circa 1912 and it is also in excellent mechanical condition and very good appearance - 80% case hardening left. Its chambers were 2 5/8” and you can Not tell chamber length by “dropping a shell in”. Because my Son now shoots that SxS in competition he had the chambers measured (I’d been shooting 2 3/4” shells in it for decades) - chambers were found to be 2 5/8 so we had them lengthened. It made for less recoil. Gun is so well made and in such good condition the gunsmith said it should hold up well for 1000s of rounds in competition. We spent the money to have splinter forend replaced with custom made Beavertail, refinished stock, reblued barrels, left case hardening ‘as is’. Overall the “refinishing & alterations” likely Decreased the value of the gun (from a collectors standpoint) but we never intend to sell it and want to enjoy shooting in for another 100+ years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.