Practical Reloading

Roverandbrew, do yourself a favor and purchase Nathan Foster's book "The Practical Guide to Reloading." It is available from his website. Believe me, this book contains a wealth of information. I've been reloading for close to 40 years and wished it would have been available 36 years ago.
I appreciate the heads up on this and just purchased it.

Roverandbrew, you’ve got some good shooting ranges in Colorado Springs. You might check them for reloading groups/classes.
Best of luck! Once you get rolling your own, you start learning quickly.
I will look into these. Though I have “lived” in Colorado Springs for the past three years I have been deployed two years of that. Guess it’s time to get to know the city. Thanks for the heads up.

@James Adamson
You are a very lucky vegemite that you haven't had a problem. I've personally seen actions lock up cases separate and targets that look more like a shotgun pattern by the same practice. The people were using max loads in mixed cases with mixed bullets of the same weight.
It may be alright with minimum loads but I wouldn't push the envelope.
Bob

I'm sorry I probably shouldn't be encouraging others to mix brass but I can assure you the load I settled on was checked and double checked for each make of brass to see that it was safe and the powder load is not near max. The only issue I have had was with PMP 223 brass, the case capacity was very different to the other makes I had.

I'm sorry I probably shouldn't be encouraging others to mix brass but I can assure you the load I settled on was checked and double checked for each make of brass to see that it was safe and the powder load is not near max. The only issue I have had was with PMP 223 brass, the case capacity was very different to the other makes I had.
@James Adamson
That's fine mate if it works for you just be safe.
Bob

I appreciate the information. I am starting with Hornady and PPU brass. I plan to shoot a bit next week to see how things work out with a load of 7x57.

My first rounds built are for a CZ 550 7x57:
Powder: H4350. 46 Grains
Bullet: 139 GR BTSP Hornady Interlok
Primer: CCI BR-2
Brass: Un-Fired Hornady 275 Rigby

I would love to find a local reloading class in Colorado Springs to minimize the number of initial errors made. Web videos are a good start but in person would be easier.
I have found no appreciable difference between PPU and Hornady brass. The main thing is finding a load that shoots well in your rifle and don't try and hot rod it to the max level. If you are having to compress the powder with the bullet. Change to a different powder. some of the most common errors I have come across are seating the primer too deeply, and not weighing each powder charge. Even though you set your powder charger, it will vary a few tenths of grains. If you are crimping your 375 rounds make sure you trim all cases to the same length before loading. Other than that, it is a safe and enjoyable hobby that allows you to load whatever bullet brand and weight you wish. Enjoy and don't try to over think it. It is not rocket science, but it does require your full attention while loading. Even new brass should be measured to ensure correct trim length.

I have only used PPU brass in two of my metric cartridges. My 7x57 and one of my 9.3x62. I have been very impressed with it in those chamberings. Also have used alot of hornady brass with no complaints either.

I have only used PPU brass in two of my metric cartridges. My 7x57 and one of my 9.3x62. I have been very impressed with it in those chamberings. Also have used alot of hornady brass with no complaints either.
I find myself buying more and more calibers of PPU brass as I need brass for different guns I reload for myself my son and grandchildren. I have had zero problems with any of their brass. I had been using Hornady for my 358 win as that is about the only brass I can find for that caliber. I have been happy with that also. But if PPU started making it I would probably switch.

I have just taken up reloading and am primarily focused on 7x57, 30-06, and 375 H&H.

Practically speaking if I develop loads with a margin of safety in accordance with the manual matching powder type / weight to bullet does the brand of brass or primer have that significant of an impact on anything? By "anything" I quantify that as an effective hunting round for use under 300 yards.

Welcome to the fraternity of reloaders!

First, while you need to play attention to what you're doing while hand loading it isn't rocket surgery. Don't try and over think it.

Start with one brand of brass, one bullet and one type of powder and stay with it while you're figuring out basic loading. Once you've made some ammo that goes bang when you pull the trigger you can try other stuff.

Here are a few rules that have served me well for 50 years

DO NOT smoke or drink alcohol while loading

ONLY have one type of powder on the bench at a time.

ONLY one brand and type of primers on the bench at a time

ONLY one brand and weight bullet on the bench at a time

ONLY one brand of brass on the bench at a time

ONLY one loading book open to the page you need and secured there

NO TV on while loading

I would love to find a local reloading class in Colorado Springs to minimize the number of initial errors made. Web videos are a good start but in person would be easier.

Once again do not overthink this.

My advice is to open your Lyman book, go to the front and read the beginning part talking about basic loading a couple of times. Then figure out how you want to mount your equipment, reread the chapter again and start slowly and have fun.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 2.02.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 2.02.58 PM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 79

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryellenD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you