Powder and pressure question

The pressure as seen with Hodgdon loads that I got off of Loaddata.com:

H1000 at 51,900 cup vs 52,800 for H4350

The velocity is H1000 2940fps & H4350 2999 fps

Grains 76 vs 69

Also, the H1000 is a compressed load and H4350 is not. I thought that interesting because I understand from the Lee Manual that you typically get better accuracy with a fuller case.

Powder weight and powder volume are not one and the same. The case may be almost full using the 4350 even though it is only 69 Grs. Someone with access to Quick Load could tell you what percentage of the case was filled but you would have to give them a bullet (for calculation purposes) and a seating depth (the overall length of a loaded cartridge). They will also need to know how many grains of water your empty case will hold. You are correct in that the case should be filled to 90% or greater.
 
I am looking at options to develop loads for a 308 Norma Mag that is currently being built (something to do while waiting for lunch:)). I noted that for 180 gr Hodgdon H1000 and H4350 produce similar velocity (+- 50 fps) but the H1000 operates at a lower pressure. The difference seems slight with H1000 at 51,900 cup vs 52,800 for H4350, but I really don't know the significance of this variance. My question is when developing a load is there any reason to consider using one powder over the other based on pressure, assuming it is within a safe operating range?
@Pheroze.
H4350/ADI 2209 is faster burning than H1000/adi2217 and requires less powder to reach similar pressures and velocities.
In the 30/06 ADI 2209/H4350 gives the same pressure and velocities with 150 grain projectiles as ADI 2206H/ H4895 but you use less powder with the faster powder.
My aim is to load to the best accuracy with the highest velocity and this may involve different burn rate powders.
Bob
 
I'm a reluctant hamdloader. When absolutely necessary only.

That being said, 4350 is awesome because it works really well in almost everything worth owning from a 500 nitro for black, a 375hh, a 318 Westley and your .308. One powder to rule them all!
@rookhawk
Depending on the projectile weight H4350 could severely limit the velocity of the 308 as it is considered a slow powder in the 08. In the 375 it would be considered medium and ideal
Bob
 
Load for 30-338 Win which is by all practical purposes the same cartridge. I have found IMR4350 and 212-220gr projectiles a good match. I’ve found H1000 to be a little slow.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,291
Messages
1,571,896
Members
169,463
Latest member
DarrylTeno
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top