Contributor
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.africanindaba.co.za
Media
Articles
Member of
CIC, Rowland Ward, B&C, DSC, German Hunting Association, KZN Hunting Association, Wild Sheep Foundation
Hunted
Western US, Western Canada, Alaska, Colombia, Tajikistan, Russian Federation, China, Iran, Austria, Germany, Spain, Czech Republic, UK, Indonesia, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Congo, Tanzania, Uganda, Botswana, Namibia
Poaching in Zimbabwe

Organized syndicates of poachers are killing wildlife in Zimbabwe’s animal parks. Commercial poachers mainly target elephants and rhinos for their horns, and giraffe and zebra for their skins. Poor subsistence poachers who are mostly locals use wire snares to capture plains game for meat. Areas hardest hit by rhino poachers are Lake Chivero, near Harare, and parks in the central, western and south-eastern parts of the country. Rhino horns and elephant tusks are smuggled to South Africa, Europe and China, while zebra and giraffe skins are sold in South Africa. Morris Mtsambiwa, the director general of Zimbabwe’s Parks and Wildlife Management Authority, recently said “Rhino poaching has put Zimbabwe in the spotlight within the framework of Cites; rhino poaching is now becoming a very serious problem for us.” The International Rhino Federation, a conservation group based in Florida, said eight poachers had been killed this year. Raoul du Toit, the director of Zimbabwe’s Lowveld Rhino Trust, told the International Rhino Foundation website recently: “In the Midlands Conservancy, for example, the black rhino population has declined from 45 a few years ago to about five animals now.

...It's another sad day for the animals in Zimbabwe! Hopefully the government or someone over there gets their act together before their greatest resources are exhausted! It's a dirty shame! I hope some one steps up to the plate soon for the animals sake & us as hunters! e can't afford to lose more great places to hunt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertinaG

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you