Plains Games Optics Advice

Reaction score
Hunted
USA
Hello everyone,

I’m finally in the market for a plains games build and need some help with choosing an optic. After liquidating some random nonsense, rifles and optics(only a T96 4-16x56mm left to go) I’ve got enough for the build I’ve been wanting. So I decided I’m going to start looking for a Rigby Highland Stalker in .275(Hint Hint)for a plains games and mountain rifle(mainly upstate NY and Colorado). But I will need a excellent optic to go along with it. The budget for the optic will be $3500 so nothing is really off the table but I do heavily lean towards quality German glass like Schmidt & Bender and Swarovski. I spoke with a gentleman at Gordy & Sons and he said to go for a 1” tube as it will let the HS handle better than a heavier 30mm tube scope. But after some research I’m torn and don’t know which direction to go. I’m thinking I won’t be going further than 400 yards(not sure if .275/7x57 can be reliable that far anyways). I’ve been looking at the following to buy/use

-Schmidt Bender PMII ShortDot 1-8x24mm(SFP-CQB2)(Tube Size 30mm)(22.26oz)(Already own)

-Schmidt Bender Exos 1-8x24mm(Tube Size 30mm)(19.4oz)

-Swarovski Z8i 1-8x24mm(Tube Size 30mm)(18.2oz)

-Swarovski Z8i 1.7-13.3x42mm(Tube Size 30mm)(21.9oz)

-Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10x42mm(Tube Size 30mm)(16.6oz)

-Swarovski Z5i 2.4-12x50mm(Tube Size 1”)(16.2oz)(Are these made in US? Lesser quality than German made?)

If I’m missing any excellent 1” tubes to consider please let me know. I believe the HS is 7.8lbs if that helps. What do you guys think would be the optimal scope for this situation?

Thanks

I hunted with Nick Bowker this year and used his gun. We used a Swarovski z8i 2-16x50. I say we because as I aimed at game anywhere between 30 yards to 400 yards Nick would adjust the turrets for the range. It was a sweet setup, all I did was put the crosshairs on the target, wait for the go ahead, and squeeze. The optics were crystal clear in all light levels and it made shooting very easy. Nick recommended shooting with low magnification. We set the magnification at 6x maximum. I highly recommend the Swarovski z8i.

Swarovski PH's under 1K$

Hello Hermes,

Great plans! Good for you!
To me (I have Zeiss, Swarovski, Schmidt & Bender AND Kahles), the Kahles scopes are my favorites, by far!!
Either of this two would fill your needs:
No better optics, mechanics AND primero!

Good luck!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-10 at 7.47.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-10 at 7.47.50 AM.png
    441.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-10 at 7.48.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-10 at 7.48.02 AM.png
    796.6 KB · Views: 81
The wife has a Swarovski Z3 3-10 on her Rigby 275. I had the same scope on my Highland Stalker 30-06. I changed it for the longer eye relief of a Leupold VX3 3.5x10 when we were sharing my rifle on a hunt. She couldn’t get a good sight picture because of the longer stock on my rifle. I prefer the 1” tubes on the small frame Rigby’s.

Safe shooting

I bought an S&B Summit (1" tube) - 2.5 -10X40. German No. 4 reticule. This is an absolutely great scope. Precise in its adjustments, Not terrible heavy, Brilliant optics and bright. But you'll have to find old inventory or buy second hand - it's discontinued. Should have bought two of them. I really do NOT like 30mm tubes.

I have a Swaro Z3 3-9X in my M70 7mm RM. A Leupold VX3 3.5 -10X40 on my Ruger No.1 .25-'06 - both excellent scopes. Will use either the S&B Summit or a Swaro Z3 3.5-9X on the M70 280AI currently being restocked for mountain hunting.

Last edited:
I hunted with Nick Bowker this year and used his gun. We used a Swarovski z8i 2-16x50. I say we because as I aimed at game anywhere between 30 yards to 400 yards Nick would adjust the turrets for the range. It was a sweet setup, all I did was put the crosshairs on the target, wait for the go ahead, and squeeze. The optics were crystal clear in all light levels and it made shooting very easy. Nick recommended shooting with low magnification. We set the magnification at 6x maximum. I highly recommend the Swarovski z8i.

Did you feel like the 16 max was too much or needed since you only went to 6x or as the PH liked shooting at lower mag?

I bought an S&B Summit (1" tube) - 2.5 -10X40. German No. 4 reticule. This is an absolutely great scope. Precise in its adjustments, Not terrible heavy, Brilliant optics and bright. But you'll have to find old inventory or buy second hand - it's discontinued. Should have bought two of them. I really do NOT like 30mm tubes.

I have a Swaro Z3 3-9X in my M70 7mm RM. A Leupold VX3 3.5 -10X40 on my Ruger No.1 .25-'06 - both excellent scopes. Will use either the S&B Summit or a Swaro Z3 3.5-9X on the M70 280AI currently being restocked for mountain hunting.

I was thinking of the z3 but is that the best of the 1” tubes? I don’t think they are illuminated?

I did a bunch of reading about scopes a few years ago and ended up with the swaro Z6 in a couple configurations: the 2.5-15x and the 3-18x. Both are excellent. The benefit of a bit more power is useful for judging animals at great distance or seeing bullet holes on paper, but not for hunting (I typically have it at the lowest power and dial up if needed).

I have a Winchester super grade lw in 7x57 and I have both a Leica 2,5 x10 visuus with illuminated reticle that I have tried on the gun and a Swarovski z3 3x10that I tried on the gun I prefer the Swarovski. I know it is not a Rigby rifle but the gun is trim and the Swarovski just makes the gun feel better to me

The 1.7-13x42 and I would get the one with center dot in a circle, but that is clearly just personal preference.

For kind of a lightweight rifle would the Z6i 1.7-10x42 be a better trade off since it’s 5.3oz lighter for the trade of 3.3 in max magnification? Or is the Z8 different in someway else that the Z8 line is just better?

Last edited:
I concur with the trending advice on a scope for your Highland Stalker ....
You will be getting a lovely, balanced and handy rifle ... Careful.. you don't "over" scope the rifle and take away from the rifle what you are paying for...
The scope that I have on my 7x57 is a 1" Kahles 2x7 with a duplex reticle which they do not make any more is light compact and gets the job done... I will say that an illuminated reticle is pretty nice when the light is low
Good luck

I use a Meopta R2 in 1,7-10x42 on my rifle. I added a ballistic turret. It already has an illuminated reticle. Great scope for the money

BD2CCE27-8DA7-4CFA-9AB0-2AEFA00B3A77.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you feel like the 16 max was too much or needed since you only went to 6x or as the PH liked shooting at lower mag?
16x is too much for the ranges you are talking about. Anything below 500 yards you will be fine with 6x. More magnification makes it harder to find the target. Also as my PH said it also shows your crosshairs wobbling which translates into less confidence.

I would go with the 1x8 that you already own and use the available funds to hunt something extra on your next safari.

I would go with the 1x8 that you already own and use the available funds to hunt something extra on your next safari.

I was thinking this. But unsure if it really matters that the PMII is more of a tactical optic. Being how it’s 22.26 oz do you think there is a certain weight I should not be going over or trying to keep the build under a certain amount of pounds?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuigrande

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross