Pine tar

CTDolan

AH elite
Joined
Mar 16, 2015
Messages
1,482
Reaction score
1,728
Location
Minnesota
Media
18
Articles
1
Not the prettiest, but damn serviceable:


The guy is my favorite YouTube personality. I could spend all day watching his videos. It reminds me of my life growing up on the farm...hunting, shooting, trapping, chopping wood, caring for crops, caring for livestock, fixing up old stuff and making do.
 
I've put pine tar on horses hooves and treated framing on a 70 year old wooden boat with pine tar. I'd never finish a gun stock with it. If for no other reason, it stinks!
 
Have you ever baked potatoes in hot pine rosin? Best potato you've ever eaten. You just can't eat the skin though. When I was a kid living in Spokane, Washington, there was a local diner in northern Idaho that was famous for their rosin potatoes. They'd give a tour of the kitchen with a big cast iron pot and gas burner underneath. The pot looked like a large sugar pot. My parents were so impressed they went out and got a big cast iron dutch oven pot and some pine rosin, which came in a round carton similar to ice cream. We'd use a Coleman stove to heat it up and once a week or so have rosin potatoes.

https://thecookscook.com/features/the-almost-lost-art-of-rosin-potatoes/
 
I have used it on wooden boats too..
 
Have you ever baked potatoes in hot pine rosin? Best potato you've ever eaten. You just can't eat the skin though. When I was a kid living in Spokane, Washington, there was a local diner in northern Idaho that was famous for their rosin potatoes. They'd give a tour of the kitchen with a big cast iron pot and gas burner underneath. The pot looked like a large sugar pot. My parents were so impressed they went out and got a big cast iron dutch oven pot and some pine rosin, which came in a round carton similar to ice cream. We'd use a Coleman stove to heat it up and once a week or so have rosin potatoes.

https://thecookscook.com/features/the-almost-lost-art-of-rosin-potatoes/

It’s a lost art for sure. I have done thousands of them and they hold the heat and moisture inside. Cut one of 5hose bad boys open an$ the steam will fog up your glasses.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,301
Messages
1,572,114
Members
169,493
Latest member
CortneyRen
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top