Picking the right arrow

Thanks. I have a turkey hunt in the spring and will see how the power flights perform, but i am pretty much sold kn the fmj. Not bad price for the quality either.
TURKEY ! Now what you need is Magnus Bullheads ...You will need longer arrows (30 inch) and go 1 less on the spining chart (Stiffer spine ) ...... just kidding (not really LOL ?) ....... your set up with a good broadhead will work perfect . I've always said it's not so much what you are shooting , ( ie brands) .....but learn to shoot well .... as has been said practice .... when you think you are good practice some more ! Most of all enjoy your self and don't forget to have fun .
Glen

Last edited by a moderator:
TURKEY ! Now what you need is Magnus Bullheads ...You will need longer arrows (30 inch) and go 1 less on the spining chart (Stiffer spine ) ...... just kidding (not really LOL ?) ....... your set up with a good broadhead will work perfect . I've always said it's not so much what you are shooting , ( ie brands) .....but learn to shoot well .... as has been said practice .... when you think you are good practice some more ! Most of all enjoy your self and don't forget to have fun .
Glen

I will take all the practice i can get

Here is a group at 60 yd's. It is from my target bow about 62 lb and they are ACC 39 about 380 grains with a 100 grain tip. With US flag fletches.
image.jpeg

You could hunt with these arrows but you would have to cut all meat out from around the arrow wound. The carbon could be a health problem. I hunt with a SUPPER THIN arrow by Easton that you can't buy any more since they are out of stock. Back in their day they had the best penetration for a hunting arrow.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

You could hunt with these arrows but you would have to cut all meat out from around the arrow wound. The carbon could be a health problem. I hunt with a SUPPER THIN arrow by Easton that you can't buy any more since they are out of stock. Back in their day they had the best penetration for a hunting arrow.
View attachment 53607 View attachment 53608
I would rather hunt with an arrow that will give me as much meat as possible

Sorry it should be SUPER SLIM not supper thin.
image.jpeg

Here is what they did in my Safari in 2012 these are the arrows from my Blue Wildabeest and Blesbok.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 194
I would rather hunt with an arrow that will give me as much meat as possible

Unless your arrow splinters, which I have never had happen on game, you wont have to worry about that. If you did need to trim up around a splintered arrow, you would lose a few mouthfuls at most. Even at the range I have never seen a spiral/multi-directional wound carbon arrow splinter more than an inch or so at most when impacting concrete or rock The first all carbon arrows to hit the market (unidirectional) had splintering issues and were a danger not only to the area around the wound but the shooter as well as damaged arrows could shatter in the bow at the shot, driving 30" long splinters into the shooters arm, this problem was eliminated 2 decades ago. I sure wouldn't chose my arrow based on the meat wastage argument.

Unless your arrow splinters, which I have never had happen on game, you wont have to worry about that. If you did need to trim up around a splintered arrow, you would lose a few mouthfuls at most. Even at the range I have never seen a spiral/multi-directional wound carbon arrow splinter more than an inch or so at most when impacting concrete or rock The first all carbon arrows to hit the market (unidirectional) had splintering issues and were a danger not only to the area around the wound but the shooter as well as damaged arrows could shatter in the bow at the shot, driving 30" long splinters into the shooters arm, this problem was eliminated 2 decades ago. I sure wouldn't chose my arrow based on the meat wastage argument.

Hi Diamondhitch

Just to see I have been trying to use these carbon arrows for s long time. You are correct about the carbon fibers.
These are the first arrows that I used and hoped to get a good lung shot so I didn't have to worry about the fibers. I went out and got a AFC MAX-II 2300 from my work bench.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Don't want to send this thread in a wrong direction nuval.2711:). Enjoy your Safari:)
Tom

That makes total sense. A couple of days ago, my father and I were at the range and I took my last shot before backing up when realizing how tired I was, and didnt hold for a follow through and the arrow hit the leg of a 3D target and snapped about an inch from the field point and popped the nock off. Im not sure what it hit, but it hit it hard. I use a carbon Easton power flight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillianaLe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg