Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
OFAH
Hunted
Canada
Hello all,

Now for the arrows. Currently I own Easton power flights 400 and 500 spine with 125 grain field tips. I have been looking at the carbon express and the Gold tip XT hunters. both are very high quality, so they say, but i cannot figure out if they are any better than my Easton's. If there are any arrows that you guys use that are different to those listed above, I will gladly take any advice or information that can be thrown my way.

I have also read an article in Ontario Out of doors saying that having 6 1.5inch blazers is 50% more stable than 3 2inch Blazers. This is the only mention of more fletchings I have seen anywhere. Is it good advice?

Sorry for all the questions. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

What is your arrow length?
What is your draw length?

Plains game being hunted?

What is the target weight for your bow?

What is your arrow length?
What is your draw length?

Plains game being hunted?

What is the target weight for your bow?

Arrow length is 28inches

Draw lenght is 27 with release

Game being hunted is Warthog , springbok, impala, and belsbok

Bow can go up to 60lbs currently at 52

THE DIFFERENCE IN ALUMINUM AND CARBON HUNTING ARROWS
Easton August 14, 2014

Easton manufactures a wide variety of hunting arrows to ensure we can provide hunters the excellence we are known for no matter what hunting style, bow setup or budget they have. Here are some things to keep in mind when choosing between arrow shafts made of different materials.

Aluminum Hunting Arrows

Aluminum arrows have the highest precision-to-price ratio of any arrow construction. The XX75 is the best selling hunting arrow shaft of all time, but when bow manufacturers started making faster bows, hunters wanted a lighter arrow. An aluminum arrow with the same spine as an all-carbon arrow will always be heavier. So for guys still wanting to shoot aluminum, but get more speed, they have to use an arrow with smaller diameter and thinner walls. Of course, as the aluminum wall of the arrow gets thinner, strength decreases. Some like the heaviness of an aluminum arrow as it transfers the bow’s energy more efficiently at the shot.

Pros
Cost
Precise weight and spine specs
Arrows can sometimes be straightened if bent
Deadly quiet out of hunting bows
More Spine Choices
Cons
Not as “flat” shooting as other arrows
As weight decreases, so does strength
Accessories can be hard to find

Carbon Hunting Arrows

These days, it seems more hunters are filling their quivers with carbon arrows. There is a lot to like. Weight is the primary reason hunters switch to carbon arrows, but improved penetration thanks to a smaller diameter shaft and durability also helps the decision. Carbon doesn’t bend like aluminum, so straightness issues are not a problem. The higher velocity of carbon arrows helps overcome errors in range estimation.

Pros
Less Wind Drift
“Flatter” Shooting
F.O.C can be easily manipulated with accessories
Advancements in arrow manufacturing are leading to more precise weight and spine specs

Cons

Velocity accelerates quickly, but also sheds quickly
Costs more than aluminum

Alloy/Carbon Hunting Arrows

Easton is in the unique position of being able to manufacture both aluminum and carbon hunting arrows as well as hybrid A/C shafts of aluminum and carbon so advantages can be combined. They deliver the strength and durability of a carbon arrow, and the spine consistency, weight tolerances, and accuracy of an aluminum arrow. Because of the enhanced and difficult manufacturing process, A/C arrows tend to be priced higher than all-aluminum or all-carbon counterparts. However, when considering the overall benefits and that the only downside is a slightly higher price, A/C arrows are a fantastic buy and the top choice of many pro-level shooters and bowhunters.

Pros
Best of both worlds
Carbon fibers and epoxy resin matric bonded to the precision 7075 alloy core tube
Easton’s exclusive process ensures a strong bond of the carbon fiber to the alloy core

Cons

Slightly Higher Cost

Full Metal Jacket Hunting Arrows

FMJs are the reverse of an A/C arrow, combining the best attributes of carbon and aluminum with a new twist. The small diameter and thick wall carbon-fiber core with Hidden Insert Technology (HIT) provides superior penetration, durability and accuracy. The aerospace alloy aluminum jacket provides more consistent spine, straightness, and weight than all-carbon arrows.

Pros
Reduced Vibration
Easy arrow removal from targets
Permanent finish

Cons
Slightly Higher Cost

There’s the breakdown of materials used to manufacture Easton hunting arrows and the pros and cons of each. Since Doug Easton made his first arrow shaft in 1922, we have continually raised the bar of quality, innovation and accuracy of our hunting arrows. Because just as important is what material you find works best for your style of hunting is confidence in your arrow. 92 years ago, Easton picked up a new book written by Dr. Saxton T. Pope, Hunting with the Bow & Arrow, and since then we have been dedicating to creating the world’s finest hunting arrows.

SOURCE:
http://www.eastonhunting.com/blog/differences-in-aluminum-and-carbon-hunting-arrows

Bow can go up to 60lbs currently at 52

Does not matter what the Bow can do.
What are you going to set it at when you hunt?
8 lbs is a big change. Some arrow lengths that will change which one you could choose.

THE DIFFERENCE IN ALUMINUM AND CARBON HUNTING ARROWS
Easton August 14, 2014

Easton manufactures a wide variety of hunting arrows to ensure we can provide hunters the excellence we are known for no matter what hunting style, bow setup or budget they have. Here are some things to keep in mind when choosing between arrow shafts made of different materials.

Aluminum Hunting Arrows

Aluminum arrows have the highest precision-to-price ratio of any arrow construction. The XX75 is the best selling hunting arrow shaft of all time, but when bow manufacturers started making faster bows, hunters wanted a lighter arrow. An aluminum arrow with the same spine as an all-carbon arrow will always be heavier. So for guys still wanting to shoot aluminum, but get more speed, they have to use an arrow with smaller diameter and thinner walls. Of course, as the aluminum wall of the arrow gets thinner, strength decreases. Some like the heaviness of an aluminum arrow as it transfers the bow’s energy more efficiently at the shot.

Pros
Cost
Precise weight and spine specs
Deadly quiet out of hunting bows
More Spine Choices
Cons
Not as “flat” shooting as other arrows
As weight decreases, so does strength

Carbon Hunting Arrows

These days, it seems more hunters are filling their quivers with carbon arrows. There is a lot to like. Weight is the primary reason hunters switch to carbon arrows, but improved penetration thanks to a smaller diameter shaft and durability also helps the decision. Carbon doesn’t bend like aluminum, so straightness issues are not a problem. The higher velocity of carbon arrows helps overcome errors in range estimation.

Pros
Less Wind Drift
“Flatter” Shooting
F.O.C can be easily manipulated with accessories
Advancements in arrow manufacturing are leading to more precise weight and spine specs

Cons

Velocity accelerates quickly, but also sheds quickly
Costs more than aluminum

Alloy/Carbon Hunting Arrows

Easton is in the unique position of being able to manufacture both aluminum and carbon hunting arrows as well as hybrid A/C shafts of aluminum and carbon so advantages can be combined. They deliver the strength and durability of a carbon arrow, and the spine consistency, weight tolerances, and accuracy of an aluminum arrow. Because of the enhanced and difficult manufacturing process, A/C arrows tend to be priced higher than all-aluminum or all-carbon counterparts. However, when considering the overall benefits and that the only downside is a slightly higher price, A/C arrows are a fantastic buy and the top choice of many pro-level shooters and bowhunters.

Pros
Best of both worlds
Carbon fibers and epoxy resin matric bonded to the precision 7075 alloy core tube
Easton’s exclusive process ensures a strong bond of the carbon fiber to the alloy core

Cons

Slightly Higher Cost

Full Metal Jacket Hunting Arrows

FMJs are the reverse of an A/C arrow, combining the best attributes of carbon and aluminum with a new twist. The small diameter and thick wall carbon-fiber core with Hidden Insert Technology (HIT) provides superior penetration, durability and accuracy. The aerospace alloy aluminum jacket provides more consistent spine, straightness, and weight than all-carbon arrows.

Pros
Reduced Vibration
Easy arrow removal from targets
Permanent finish

Cons
Slightly Higher Cost

There’s the breakdown of materials used to manufacture Easton hunting arrows and the pros and cons of each. Since Doug Easton made his first arrow shaft in 1922, we have continually raised the bar of quality, innovation and accuracy of our hunting arrows. Because just as important is what material you find works best for your style of hunting is confidence in your arrow. 92 years ago, Easton picked up a new book written by Dr. Saxton T. Pope, Hunting with the Bow & Arrow, and since then we have been dedicating to creating the world’s finest hunting arrows.

SOURCE:
http://www.eastonhunting.com/blog/differences-in-aluminum-and-carbon-hunting-arrows

Wow. I have never heard of the FMJ arrows but they look fantastic. Thanks for taking the time to find this, really appreciated.

Hello all,

Now for the arrows. Currently I own Easton power flights 400 and 500 spine with 125 grain field tips. I have been looking at the carbon express and the Gold tip XT hunters. both are very high quality, so they say, but i cannot figure out if they are any better than my Easton's. If there are any arrows that you guys use that are different to those listed above, I will gladly take any advice or information that can be thrown my way.

I have also read an article in Ontario Out of doors saying that having 6 1.5inch blazers is 50% more stable than 3 2inch Blazers. This is the only mention of more fletchings I have seen anywhere. Is it good advice?

Sorry for all the questions. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

nuval,

For your upcoming plainsgame hunt, I suggest you keep it simple... No need to go out and buy new arrows AS LONG AS YOUR ARROW/BROAD HEAD COMBINATION THAT YOU HAVE FLYS TRUE WITH YOUR CURRENT SET-UP!

As a new bow hunter, I would suggest keeping your shots to under 30 yards. If you can consistently shoot 3" groups at 30 yards with the bow/arrows that you currently have, you will be fine. Africa will give you lots of shot opportunity at 30 yards and less....

Now, if you are shooting all over the place at 30 yards, or still in the process of tuning your bow, arrow selection and arrow spine will have a huge effect on your tuning and accuracy. If you need to go out and buy new arrows, I recommend a good quality carbon arrow. Carbon Express and Victory are two high quality arrows that will not break the bank.... Refer to the spine chart on the side of the arrow box to select the correct spine. Fine tuning for spine can be done by increasing or decreasing your draw weight a pound or two either way...

For what you are looking to do in Africa, 3- 1.5" or 2" Blazer style vanes are perfect. You will not have stability issues at 30 yards or less.

Go to the fmj and dont look back. One of the best arrows ever made to hunt with. I would decide on your draw weight before you decide on what weight arrow in the fmj you use.

nuval,

For your upcoming plainsgame hunt, I suggest you keep it simple... No need to go out and buy new arrows AS LONG AS YOUR ARROW/BROAD HEAD COMBINATION THAT YOU HAVE FLYS TRUE WITH YOUR CURRENT SET-UP!

What Dan said is spot on.

Show us some pictures of your groups with your current set up.

image.jpeg
What Dan said is spot on.

Show us some pictures of your groups with your current set up.

Here is a photo from my back yard, it is just over 10yrds. I will make sure to get some next time i am at the range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a photo from my back yard, it is just over 10yrds. I will make sure to get some next time i am at the range.

Shoot that group at 30 yards and you will be dangerous in Africa! Study your shot placement and practice, practice, practice.....

Nuval ....you are getting some great advice here . I went to Namibia in 2011 and ironicly I was shooting Easton powerflights myself . They performed flawlessly . Though they are pretty much one hit wonders ....meaning once shot into game the arrow was retired as it would splinter or crack . If they shoot well from your bow , then my advice would be to continue shooting them . But now if your bow is set up and tuned properly you should be able to shoot pretty much any arrow spined , weighed and cut to length with a fair amount of accuracey out to an including 20 yards . OK GUYS CALM DOWN ! I said 20 yards or inside lol ! beyond 20 yards you will start to see performance issues with certain arrows ....... even something as simple as an arrow spinner will show you an amazing difference between your powerflights and fmj , which by the way I'm shooting now . I believe in fmj to the point that Easton brought out a fmj fish arrow last year and I bought a pair of them and they cost me what you would pay for a dozen fmj hunting arrows . Good luck and play safe !
Glen

Nuval ....you are getting some great advice here . I went to Namibia in 2011 and ironicly I was shooting Easton powerflights myself . They performed flawlessly . Though they are pretty much one hit wonders ....meaning once shot into game the arrow was retired as it would splinter or crack . If they shoot well from your bow , then my advice would be to continue shooting them . But now if your bow is set up and tuned properly you should be able to shoot pretty much any arrow spined , weighed and cut to length with a fair amount of accuracey out to an including 20 yards . OK GUYS CALM DOWN ! I said 20 yards or inside lol ! beyond 20 yards you will start to see performance issues with certain arrows ....... even something as simple as an arrow spinner will show you an amazing difference between your powerflights and fmj , which by the way I'm shooting now . I believe in fmj to the point that Easton brought out a fmj fish arrow last year and I bought a pair of them and they cost me what you would pay for a dozen fmj hunting arrows . Good luck and play safe !
Glen
Thanks. I have a turkey hunt in the spring and will see how the power flights perform, but i am pretty much sold kn the fmj. Not bad price for the quality either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VEXCatheri

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!