Petition to stop fracking for oil in the Kavango region

I also think it’s safe to say that the environmental protection regulations likely won’t be nearly as stringent as most would like to see in such a pristine area. And even if they are, a few dollars passed out here and there, and voila, all issues go away.

I’ve spent the majority of my adult life working in the oil sands, or their downstream operations. They’ve afforded me, and likely millions of others (directly and indirectly), a comfortable living. They are an invaluable part of our economy, but if anyone tells you their not an environmental disaster, they’re a god damn liar.

It would be a shame for the Delta to be adversely impacted. But that’s coming from a well fed man, sitting in his warm comfortable house, thousands of miles away.

Would the governments of Namibia and Botswana do a better job of controlling the collateral damage you mention? I thought the Namibian government was quite good at that sort of thing?

Google illegal hard wood logging in Namibia......
Would the governments of Namibia and Botswana do a better job of controlling the collateral damage you mention? I thought the Namibian government was quite good at that sort of thing?

Yeah right....

I’m deeply saddened to read so many of these replies. It appears that most of you see only money in oil, when we in Africa see the destruction of our wildlife habitat. We’re talking about the Okavango Delta in Botswana here, one of the truly unspoiled ecosystems in Southern Africa.
Please understand that nothing in Africa is done to USA standards, so none of this will be ‘clean’. It will most likely severely pollute the delta and cause untold damage to this fragile ecosystem.
We live here, we know how things work here, and this will be a death knell for the Okavango and the wildlife, plus our futures in this industry.
It’s hard enough fighting poachers and governments in Africa. It all boils down to two options: oil or wildlife.

Yup my feelings as well john.....

Google illegal hard wood logging in Namibia......
"A forestry expert described the stockpiles, all run by two Chinese-fronted companies, as evidence of “industrial wood mining.”

Despite a moratorium on harvesting these prized hardwoods in Namibia since November 2018, and a ban on trading raw timber since early August, the plunder has continued. On two recent road trips through the Okavango and Zambezi regions, together covering 6,600 kilometers, an OCCRP reporter saw not a single mature African rosewood tree left standing."

You guys know the reality there. How strong is the push back on this type of plunder? Is it foreign pressure that helps, or is there anything happening locally?

I’m deeply saddened to read so many of these replies. It appears that most of you see only money in oil, when we in Africa see the destruction of our wildlife habitat. We’re talking about the Okavango Delta in Botswana here, one of the truly unspoiled ecosystems in Southern Africa.
Please understand that nothing in Africa is done to USA standards, so none of this will be ‘clean’. It will most likely severely pollute the delta and cause untold damage to this fragile ecosystem.
We live here, we know how things work here, and this will be a death knell for the Okavango and the wildlife, plus our futures in this industry.
It’s hard enough fighting poachers and governments in Africa. It all boils down to two options: oil or wildlife.
I get it. I am a wilderness outfitter here in the States and glad my area is protected. There are some areas these developments are more compatible with and many areas that are not.

"A forestry expert described the stockpiles, all run by two Chinese-fronted companies, as evidence of “industrial wood mining.”

Despite a moratorium on harvesting these prized hardwoods in Namibia since November 2018, and a ban on trading raw timber since early August, the plunder has continued. On two recent road trips through the Okavango and Zambezi regions, together covering 6,600 kilometers, an OCCRP reporter saw not a single mature African rosewood tree left standing."

You guys know the reality there. How strong is the push back on this type of plunder? Is it foreign pressure that helps, or is there anything happening locally?

To the questions at the end....no and no....I see a difference every couple of months driving in and out of the ranch....on main roads and dirt ones....that's just talking about trees cut for charcoal....

It can even be seen here in the US. NO matter the original intent or immediate impact, once a road is cut into an otherwise roadless area, the process is started that will likely never be reversed, especially in the long term. Cut a road in and close it back up, for well documented and agreed to reasons of course- sounds good on paper, right ??? One, it takes a huge commitment of will, money and manpower, in perpetuity, to enforce any after-the-fact closure that is meaningful. Second, even if the closure is enforced or complied with, over time, guaranteed, some special interest group will petition local, state and federal politicians to open it back up. That evolution of the way it happens never varies. The petitioners employ such obviously childlike reasoning as, "they are physically unable to enjoy the "wilderness" so are forced to drive into it.... right into the middle of it of course. Or it's public property so "we have a right to it"... via Class A motorhome, 4WD, dirt bike, or ATV- no matter. Never mind the fact they just drove twenty or a hundred miles through a roaded area with identical, topography, altitude, eco zones, aspect, scenery, habitat types, vegetation types and wildlife populations to get to the point of the restricted travel. It's the "forbidden fruit" theory of human phsychology that forces out the shortsighted rationalizations, whining and feined outrage- I guess.

Of course, the other pathway to such longterm damage is much more overt and immediately obvious. A Chinese highrank contacts the comparable highrank in country of question and presto- instant clearance given to extract whatever natural resource is desired or a Chinese middleman comes in and bribes a local official who promptly issues special permit for extraction of whatever natural resource is desired.

I'm sure that's the case. Frac creates or improves the flow of oil. What energy company wants to have a spill or event that puts it in the public eye for scrutiny? Especially the uneducated public who thinks this process is destroying or doing some hocus pocus in the earth. Every time a frac shows up in the news they show a drill rig, and call it a frac rig. We pump sand in the ground. Thats about it. The chemicals used are to reduce pressures and kill bacteria in the water, because we are pumping into a sterile environment. Everything is monitored, everything we use is available for public knowledge. Frac is just another political football for liberals who want to change and increase the cost of our way of living.

wouldn’t an increase in jobs even menial labour jobs lead to less poaching? I would assume one can’t run a shovel and pouch at the same time? Would the locals still risk pouching/jail time if they were gainfully employed? Legitimate questions not sarcasm you gentleman have a far better grasp on the mentality of the population there then I do.

wouldn’t an increase in jobs even menial labour jobs lead to less poaching? I would assume one can’t run a shovel and pouch at the same time? Would the locals still risk pouching/jail time if they were gainfully employed? Legitimate questions not sarcasm you gentleman have a far better grasp on the mentality of the population there then I do.
The poachers will come in regardless....easier access and easier exit....simple fact of life here....commercial meat poachers aren't interested in labouring jobs...

Our staff have jobs but doesn't stop them from stealing or giving poachers info....including our game scouts...in this country on game ranches etc scouts are continually caught poaching....TIA.....

Last edited:
The poachers will come in regardless....easier access and easier exit....simple fact of life here....commercial meat poachers aren't interested in labouring jobs...

Our staff have jobs but doesn't stop them from stealing or giving poachers info....including our game scouts...in this country on game ranches etc scouts are continually caught poaching....TIA.....

from the outside looking in it seems like your problem is the people, if there that corrupt the infrastructure is only going to make it worse not be the route of the problem.

I feel for you it’s not a good feeling to have your livelihood threatened especially not when you’ve got threats on all sides.

Is the company conducting the operation owned by Africans or a foreigner

Figures and I'm sure their going to shaft the locals and treat them like slaves
That’s a bold and inflammatory statement, is that just generic hatred of the “establishment” or have you bothered to researched the company?

I myself haven’t researched the company in question they could have an excellent civil rights record and hundreds of loyal employees or they could be a truely evil company founded on exploiting the workers without thought or concern. Most likely they land somewhere in the middle but I’ll hold my judgement until such time as I’ve done the research to justify it.

Reactions: WAB
John and Mike
I can see no possible good come from this. It’s certainly not necessary to lower the price of fuel; it seems geared only for short term profit as opposed to longer term good (vomit)
As I understand it this is a major elephant migration route that needs to remain as it is
Please tell us how to support your efforts— god bless. Jacques

No one likes to see a wild and beautiful area ruined, that's for sure. But with Africa's population expected to double in an insanely short time, conflicts like this will become more frequent. Does a petition in Africa do any good? Must it be accompanied by a wad of cash? .......hope all works out well, but the human crush is on.....................FWB

That’s a bold and inflammatory statement, is that just generic hatred of the “establishment” or have you bothered to researched the company?

I myself haven’t researched the company in question they could have an excellent civil rights record and hundreds of loyal employees or they could be a truely evil company founded on exploiting the workers without thought or concern. Most likely they land somewhere in the middle but I’ll hold my judgement until such time as I’ve done the research to justify it.
Yeah I agree.

I would only say this. While I understand the concerns of those in Africa on THEIR environmental issues, I would not pass on or sign anything reletated to those issues. They are local problems, not mine.
By the same token I dont like it when other nations think its OK to criticize us over similar issues.
Stateside, fracking has been a great thing, and helped make the US energy independent, and done right is a minimal impact on the environment, but it may not be the best way to go everywhere.
As far as Africa in general is concerned I see the increase of Chinese influence much more troubling than anything else.

I live in an area where fracking for natural gas is widespread. There's a well every 5 miles or so and there would be a ton more if they weren't fracking wells.
Without fracking you'd need to put wells every square mile or so if you're gonna drill you might better be fracking. It might sound crazy but it's less footprint than traditional drilling. I'm not saying your particular area should be explored, but if its gonna, you're better off fracking

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg