Penultimate squirrel hunting rifle scope

I use a Hawk 4-16x50 Sidewinder on the airgun.
aYZ0c0dl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not my penultimate, my ultimate, an older 4x Leupold 33, with the fine taper crosshairs. I went through a lot of different scopes before settling on this. With my 77/22, I can do head shots to 75 yards. Bright, light, clear, can sit low on the rifle, and keeps zero. Taken a lot of squirrels, groundhogs, starlings, crows and a turkey.
Bfly

Easiest way to get there IMO is the Plain Jane Leupold FX-1 4x28 Rimfire scope. For accurate shooting at 22 ranges, parallax can be an issue. IIRC the parallax zero on the FX-1 Leupold 22 scope is 60 yds. Most other scopes designed for high power are usually zero parallax at 100 yards. I think Leupold also has a VX Rimfire version in their less expensive line if you think you need a variable power scope. I’ve never run into a need for anything other than the 4x scope for squirrel-sized game at the ranges that make sense for small target, accurate 22 rimfire hunting. This rock squirrel is about same size as most tree squirrels- they get extremely wary and usually require stealth shots of 30-40 yards. That would be about average max for most tree squirrel shots.
C09428ED-C42E-4DF9-802E-BA8837E89AEF.jpeg

Last edited:
I use a Leupold 3-9x rim fire scope on an anschutz 64.

Easiest way to get there IMO is the Plain Jane Leupold FX-1 4x28 Rimfire scope. For accurate shooting at 22 ranges, parallax can be an issue. IIRC the parallax zero on the FX-1 Leupold 22 scope is 60 yds. Most other scopes designed for high power are usually zero parallax at 100 yards. I think Leupold also has a VX Rimfire version in their less expensive line if you think you need a variable power scope. I’ve never run into a need for anything other than the 4x scope for squirrel-sized game at the ranges that make sense for small target, accurate 22 rimfire hunting. This rock squirrel is about same size as most tree squirrels- they get extremely wary and usually require stealth shots of 30-40 yards. That would be about average max for most tree squirrel shots. View attachment 492589
nice rifle too...

Penultimate....why do you want to know what peoples 2nd from last choice is....;)
Never looked up the actual definition--where I grew up, people used the word to indicate "the absolute ultimate." sorry

@fourfive8 Which 52 is that?
It's the newest iteration of the 52-B Sporter made in the Winchester Miroku factory. I bought it new in early 90s. Most accurate non-target 22 I've ever owned or shot. It has the target chamber where the front of the bullet shank behind the ogive engraves the lands upon chambering which ensures perfect cartridge to bore alignment. The original 52-B Sporters was considered the finest 22 rf sporter ever designed/made. These are very bit the equal of those earlier 52-Bs. In addition to the target chamber- the speed lock, trigger and detachable magazine system are second to none, IMO. If you ever stumble across one at a reasonable price, don't pass it up :)

Last edited:
My squirrel hunting is perhaps a bit different: nuisance control keeping the red squirrels away from my house.

Most have largely fallen to either a Crosman 1377 pistol (iron sights) or a Crossman 2100 rifle, with a cheap Simmons scope. Thus far the fallen number in the hundreds... I couldn't begin to imagine how many.

Never looked up the actual definition--where I grew up, people used the word to indicate "the absolute ultimate." sorry
While the dictionary definition of the word is next to last, the word structure consists of next in line to, and final which could also be defined as best. which is how the word is used in several places: that is: next to perfection, The dictionary is a little behind the normal usage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross