Pedestal skull attachment

samson7x

AH fanatic
Joined
Apr 5, 2023
Messages
514
Reaction score
728
Media
4
Hunting reports
Africa
1
I'm working on a pedestal for my cape buff euro and wondering what method of attachment will be best and able to support the weight. I'll have 1" steel tube upright and debating best method of attachment. I've considered a steel plate with drywall screws. Would that support the weight without damage to the bone? Fill the cavity with epoxy first? Run steel plates inside and outside with bolt running through to disperse the weight? How are yours attached?
 
Construction screws are better. The heads are thicker and threads are closer together = more thread biting per bone thickness. Mine are held on with only two screws. One is at the same location in the below gemsbuck skull.
20250306_101358.jpg
20250306_101307.jpg
20250306_101059.jpg

The other is about half way down through the roof of the mouth (no need for second screw in gemsbuck skull). You may want to hit the top end of that one with a daub of epoxy. The bone at the top near the spinal cord opening is plenty thick enough. Just be careful to use the correct thickness drill for pilot hole. Too big and the screw won't bite enough. Too small and the screw may snap off when you're tightening it. Bone is very unforgiving. Another reason to not use drywall screws. They break off easily under pressure. A third reason is their damn Phillips head. Use square head construction screws or torques head.
20230408_112700.jpg
530725932_20230408_113031_1328472_resized.jpg
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,343
Messages
1,573,563
Members
169,760
Latest member
hb88gdn
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top