Parkwest Arms

Nothing wrong with 416 Remington magnum! I'm currently having Parkwest build me a Dark Continent in 404 Jeffery. Why 404 Jeffery, because I already own a Dakota 76 416 Remington magnum that has taken Buffalo, 2 Winchester mod 70's, and a Ruger No1 all 416 Remington magnum. So for my new Rifle I wanted something different and the 404 Jeffery just screams Africa!
 
Nothing wrong with 416 Remington magnum! I'm currently having Parkwest build me a Dark Continent in 404 Jeffery. Why 404 Jeffery, because I already own a Dakota 76 416 Remington magnum that has taken Buffalo, 2 Winchester mod 70's, and a Ruger No1 all 416 Remington magnum. So for my new Rifle I wanted something different and the 404 Jeffery just screams Africa!
With the ease of me being able to get brass for the Jeffery it is now on my radar. I want to be able to shoot well to 150 with an rmr and it seems it is actually quite capable of that.
 
With the ease of me being able to get brass for the Jeffery it is now on my radar. I want to be able to shoot well to 150 with an rmr and it seems it is actually quite capable of that.
If I were you I'd seriously take a look at the Trijicon 1-8 Accupoint with the red Triangle post! It's a true one power and the Triangle "️" post is extremely fast aiming, plus the advantages of light gathering and magnification for longer shots!
 
If I were you I'd seriously take a look at the Trijicon 1-8 Accupoint with the red Triangle post! It's a true one power and the Triangle "️" post is extremely fast aiming, plus the advantages of light gathering and magnification for longer shots!
I’ve looked at it, but I still went with the rmr hd2. Hunting with a red dot is fun if you haven’t done it!
 
The Parkwest guys are super to work with. You can trust what they do and tell you they will do.
As to caliber - your .375 HH will be fine for what you are after. If you just want an excuse to get a new build, then go with .416 Rigby - heavier and less felt recoil than the .416 Rem Mag. The 404 Jeff is very nice as well. None of these are a bad choice.
How can you say the Rigby 416 has less felt recoil the the 416 Rem when it burns considerably more powder and if you have read the recoil charts in Kevin Robertson's Perfect Shot book, you will see that is not true.
As for the guys at Parkwest, they are a great bunch of guys, but my experience with them on a 416 Rem in Savannah build is that, they certainly have not kept their word. I told them I had an Alaskan brown bear hunt in May and I was told they could have it ready by early April. April came and went and no word from them so I called them one day and was told Sept 17 was my finish date, Sept 17 came and went, no word on my rifle. I called again and was told first week Oct. Still no rifle. I was lied to. three times, I don't like that. I have missed the opportunity to use it on the bear hunt, elk season is on now and I am planning to take a last minute moose hunt in BC, I wanted to use this rifle for these hunts. I hate it when people don't keep their word. I am very strongly(80%likelyhood) of calling them tomorrow and telling them to sell it to someone else. Jason told me that is an option, but I have to wait till they sell it before they refund my deposit. Anybody looking for one?
 
Just came back in August from Mozambique
Used my .375 and 300 H&H Parkwest take down for planes game and Leopard
..416 Rigby Dakota on two buffaloes, first time using the .416 and the only thing I can tell you is I will never use another caliber on buffalo again, it is amazing the damage it will do and the recoil is pretty manageable…
Beautiful lefty Dakota/Parkwest rifles and nice animals taken, especially the 2nd, ancient buffalo!
 
How can you say the Rigby 416 has less felt recoil the the 416 Rem when it burns considerably more powder and if you have read the recoil charts in Kevin Robertson's Perfect Shot book, you will see that is not true.
As for the guys at Parkwest, they are a great bunch of guys, but my experience with them on a 416 Rem in Savannah build is that, they certainly have not kept their word. I told them I had an Alaskan brown bear hunt in May and I was told they could have it ready by early April. April came and went and no word from them so I called them one day and was told Sept 17 was my finish date, Sept 17 came and went, no word on my rifle. I called again and was told first week Oct. Still no rifle. I was lied to. three times, I don't like that. I have missed the opportunity to use it on the bear hunt, elk season is on now and I am planning to take a last minute moose hunt in BC, I wanted to use this rifle for these hunts. I hate it when people don't keep their word. I am very strongly(80%likelyhood) of calling them tomorrow and telling them to sell it to someone else. Jason told me that is an option, but I have to wait till they sell it before they refund my deposit. Anybody looking for one?
I did also speak with the owner of LRI and he told me he can do a rifle in 3-4 months if it is a rush. He worked at Dakota for around 20 years.
 
How can you say the Rigby 416 has less felt recoil the the 416 Rem when it burns considerably more powder and if you have read the recoil charts in Kevin Robertson's Perfect Shot book, you will see that is not true.
As for the guys at Parkwest, they are a great bunch of guys, but my experience with them on a 416 Rem in Savannah build is that, they certainly have not kept their word. I told them I had an Alaskan brown bear hunt in May and I was told they could have it ready by early April. April came and went and no word from them so I called them one day and was told Sept 17 was my finish date, Sept 17 came and went, no word on my rifle. I called again and was told first week Oct. Still no rifle. I was lied to. three times, I don't like that. I have missed the opportunity to use it on the bear hunt, elk season is on now and I am planning to take a last minute moose hunt in BC, I wanted to use this rifle for these hunts. I hate it when people don't keep their word. I am very strongly(80%likelyhood) of calling them tomorrow and telling them to sell it to someone else. Jason told me that is an option, but I have to wait till they sell it before they refund my deposit. Anybody looking for one?

@PARKWESTARMS
 
I’ve looked at it, but I still went with the rmr hd2. Hunting with a red dot is fun if you haven’t done it!
I have and they are nice, but the light gathering abilities of good optics can't be denied! I use the RMR on my 470 Nitro.
1000006606.jpg
 
How can you say the Rigby 416 has less felt recoil the the 416 Rem when it burns considerably more powder and if you have read the recoil charts in Kevin Robertson's Perfect Shot book, you will see that is not true.
As for the guys at Parkwest, they are a great bunch of guys, but my experience with them on a 416 Rem in Savannah build is that, they certainly have not kept their word. I told them I had an Alaskan brown bear hunt in May and I was told they could have it ready by early April. April came and went and no word from them so I called them one day and was told Sept 17 was my finish date, Sept 17 came and went, no word on my rifle. I called again and was told first week Oct. Still no rifle. I was lied to. three times, I don't like that. I have missed the opportunity to use it on the bear hunt, elk season is on now and I am planning to take a last minute moose hunt in BC, I wanted to use this rifle for these hunts. I hate it when people don't keep their word. I am very strongly(80%likelyhood) of calling them tomorrow and telling them to sell it to someone else. Jason told me that is an option, but I have to wait till they sell it before they refund my deposit. Anybody looking for one?
When did you order the rifle?
 
I want one in a bad way! Ordering a Heym has been rather tempting
If you do you will find that the RMR is great on a double but then for your backup rifle a good quality optic is a must! In the past I have taken the Chapuis 470 double and also the Dakota 76 416 Remington magnum. I found that sometimes the brush is so thick that it is almost impossible to find a shooting lane without the scope. It's always good to have options!
 
.416RM: very common even in Africa, proven ballistics, easy to handload
.416 Rigby: same as above (though the sharper shoulder doesn't wear as long), nostalgic!
.404J: about 100fps less than above (not that such really matters), nostalgic, beltless, weak shoulder

I think a new PWA in any of the above chamberings would be a fine choice.
I'd buy a vintage rifle in .404J, but probably not order a new one in it. YMMV

If you want a vintage caliber with great ballistics (and no belt), then the .416 Rigby.

Otherwise, the .416RM is a great choice. I hunted Tanzania Selous with a Win 70; great rifle/caliber.
I'd have been fine sticking with that, but a .450 Dakota 76 fell into my lap, so....
 
A 375 from them will do nothing my current one cannot do. I actually quite like this rifle a lot. View attachment 797535
The single best thing you can do with that rifle is replace the factory wood stock with a Brown Precision or McMillan foam filled fiberglass stock. You’ll be impressed with how much less felt recoil there is with a quality fiberglass stock. The factory Winchester stocks have a small bearing area for the butt stock and that translates to more felt recoil.
 
How can you say the Rigby 416 has less felt recoil the the 416 Rem when it burns considerably more powder and if you have read the recoil charts in Kevin Robertson's Perfect Shot book, you will see that is not true.
As for the guys at Parkwest, they are a great bunch of guys, but my experience with them on a 416 Rem in Savannah build is that, they certainly have not kept their word. I told them I had an Alaskan brown bear hunt in May and I was told they could have it ready by early April. April came and went and no word from them so I called them one day and was told Sept 17 was my finish date, Sept 17 came and went, no word on my rifle. I called again and was told first week Oct. Still no rifle. I was lied to. three times, I don't like that. I have missed the opportunity to use it on the bear hunt, elk season is on now and I am planning to take a last minute moose hunt in BC, I wanted to use this rifle for these hunts. I hate it when people don't keep their word. I am very strongly(80%likelyhood) of calling them tomorrow and telling them to sell it to someone else. Jason told me that is an option, but I have to wait till they sell it before they refund my deposit. Anybody looking for one?
If you want a 416 with noticeably less recoil, have a 416 Taylor built. It’s the most efficient 416, driving a 400 grain bullet to the same 2,400 velocity with about 7-8 grains less powder than a Remington or Hoffman chambering.
 
I would consider the .416 Rigby, I truly love the calibre and it worked really well on Cape Buff for me, along with a nice old warthog boar. I also love the nostalgia that comes with this round.

And I'd opt for Rigby Big Game...which I have done, while I own a CZ550 in said calibre I wanted the original....also no wait you can find them in stock.

I do agree that the PW's are beautiful as well and could be a better value if you don't have a thing for the "Rigby" name
 
Last edited:
.416RM: very common even in Africa, proven ballistics, easy to handload
.416 Rigby: same as above (though the sharper shoulder doesn't wear as long), nostalgic!
.404J: about 100fps less than above (not that such really matters), nostalgic, beltless, weak shoulder

I think a new PWA in any of the above chamberings would be a fine choice.
I'd buy a vintage rifle in .404J, but probably not order a new one in it. YMMV

If you want a vintage caliber with great ballistics (and no belt), then the .416 Rigby.

Otherwise, the .416RM is a great choice. I hunted Tanzania Selous with a Win 70; great rifle/caliber.
I'd have been fine sticking with that, but a .450 Dakota 76 fell into my lap, so....
I shoot Northfork 430’s out of my 404 doing 2305-2310, the 400’s are closer to 2400, I know the 416’s are a little hotter but the 404 is all I can handle,
I do wish the brass was a little cheaper, like the 458 lott’s are less that’s 1/2 the price
 
Last edited:
I'm a traditionalist and will always go with a traditional cartridge when all other is equal.

Rigby is what I shoot and would enjoy owning a 404J.

Go with your gut.
 
If I were buying a Parkwest and had the budget to hunt elephant in the future and did not wanted the .375 H&H I would go for a SD-76 Dark Continent with one barrel being .300 H&H and the other being .465 H&H (or .458 Lott) assuming those can be combined in the same rifle.

For myself I however elected to commision a custom .375 H&H, it was a long wait for sure but worth it, I dont expect to be hunting any elephants so I settled for the .375 since it will work very nice for domestic moose and bear hunting aswell as the odd buffalo in Africa.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,370
Messages
1,574,389
Members
170,031
Latest member
BartDescot
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top